Sociology MS/PhD 2008 Applicants?

acoustic_mayhem

Hello there

I've been lurking for a while and finally thought I would post - pressing send and recieve on Outlook Express every couple of minutes was kinda getting dull. Congratulations to everyone whose got into a program that they love. Anyone thinking about heading to Cornell?

Why the staff at Cornell told me last week that they were still viewing applications???

Anyway, congratulations to you for your offer from Cornell!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few places seem to be doing admissions over a long period of time. For instance some people have heard from Harvard and Michigan but not others... where else have you applied?

I have applied upenn, yale, jhu, etc. I have been accepted by IUB, so only the three I mentioned above still attract me.

anonuser, I think that the answer to your question might depend on what the timeline looks like for the particular department that you're thinking of. If the department typically gives out answers fairly soon (next couple of weeks or so), my guess would be that the interview would be used as a tool by the committee to decide between some closely-matched contenders. If, though, the department doesn't typically respond for a little while longer (some don't seem to make any decisions until late march or even early april), then it could just be a part of their normal decision-making process... Check the results list history to see when the department in question typically makes decisions, and that might help you out...

Has anyone heard from Pitt or UConn or UCI?

Bless all....

I got an acceptance from UCI several weeks ago, around the beginning of February, and have already gotten my funding offer. Sorry--I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps you're on a waiting list? I'd give them a call anyway, just to make sure.

I haven't heard anything from Pitt, though.

Maroonwings, congratulations! May I know your research interests? UCI is my first choice because it is the best place to study social movements. Few months ago, one professor there told me that UCI is not capable of recruiting international students due the lack of funds. They usually have one or less international student each year. So, I think I was rejected :cry:

Maroonwings, congratulations! May I know your research interests? UCI is my first choice because it is the best place to study social movements. Few months ago, one professor there told me that UCI is not capable of recruiting international students due the lack of funds. They usually have one or less international student each year. So, I think I was rejected :cry:

I'm also interested in social movements. I thought we might be doing similar things since we applied to two of the same schools :) I'm really sorry you didn't get into UCI, but I hope you hear good news from Pitt and UConn soon.

tmmcj-- I've heard from UConn. The director of graduate studies for sociology called me last week. She said she'd be away at a conference and so there might be a delay in sending the official letter. When did you submit your application? I'm not sure how they handle decisions (i.e. rolling basis, etc). For reference, I received an email letting my know that my application was being reviewed by the committe about one month prior to the phone call. If you've received a similar email, you can estimate when you might hear from them.

marronwings, Pitt grad. sec. replied me yesterday that the Admission Committee will be making their final decision early next week. We will be hearing from Pitt by mail after they meet. If you also get in Pitt, UCI or Pitt, which will you choose? I just received an offer from another uni. yesterday, but I really hope to have a chance study at Pitt. Hope both of us hear good news from Pitt.

sinequanonsarah, thx for your info. I will write an email to the DGS next Thursday or Friday regarding my status. Normally, USPS takes more than two weeks sending a mail to a foreign address. The waiting is killing me......

pcs, congratulations and thx for your reply. I sent my application to UConn early DEC last year.

Has anyone heard from Pitt or UConn or UCI?

Bless all....

I emailed UCI a few weeks back after others began to hear. They said they have sent one round of acceptances, and depending on the response to those they "may or may not" issue a second round in the coming weeks. My guess would be that those wouldn't come with much or any funding though, so I am already counting them out.

Anyone heard from Maryland? I got my reject in mail today, that I got off the testudo website earlier in the week. Rejection letter gives contact e-mail and phone to get feedback on application, which is nice for a change. Waiting on CUNY poli sci then I'm out of the crapshoot at least til next year if I still have the guts :oops:

marronwings, Pitt grad. sec. replied me yesterday that the Admission Committee will be making their final decision early next week. We will be hearing from Pitt by mail after they meet. If you also get in Pitt, UCI or Pitt, which will you choose? I just received an offer from another uni. yesterday, but I really hope to have a chance study at Pitt. Hope both of us hear good news from Pitt.

I sent you a PM, but short answer is I'll most likely choose UCI. They just have a lot going for them, great faculty, great award package, being in sunny southern California rather than snowy New England (well, maybe the last isn't as big a factor, but it helps). We'll see if Pitt accepts me and if they can match UCI's funding package, but most likely I'm going to UCI. I'm visiting campus this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

I too also applied to UMASS, Amherst. I had some transcript issues, with one not arriving/being lost. Needless to say, I overnighted another copy up there. Anyways, while in contact with the the Soc. Dept. it does not sound like they have finalized all of their decisions yet. Good Luck!