Sociology MS/PhD 2008 Applicants?

acoustic_mayhem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got accepted to Colorad-Boulder, notification came via email late yesterday. Their Prospective Student Day was Feb. 29...so pretty quick turnaround.

It's my first choice, so I accepted.

Congrats! Could you please let me know when you hear from Stony Brook? I'm on their waiting list and desperate for info. So if they accept you and you've already agreed to Colorado, that's good news for me! :)

I am now on the waiting list of Johns Hopkins. I wonder whether the chance of getting admitted is large.

I'm on the waiting list too-- I wonder how many of us there are?? It sucks getting on the wait-list because now we probably won't be invited to see the campus and if we get in, we will be expected to make a decision without ever meeting people, etc. :cry:

So, I just got my fat rejection package from UChicago, which included a full-tuition paid acceptance to their MA in Social Sciences program. Does anybody know anything about this? Do people that do this eventually go on to get their PhD's there? I felt pretty sure about where I wanted to go (when I assumed Chicago had rejected me), but that chosen school has iffy funding. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ok, has ANYONE here heard ANYTHING from UPenn?? According to the results section of this site, people have been accepted, rejected, and one person even posted last Thursday that they were waitlisted. I have heard nothing. Nadda. Zilch. And it's making me crazy. I have another program pressing me for an answer, despite the fact that April 15 is still almost a month away (see my post in the "April 15 freakout forum") and would really like to hear SOMETHING from Penn so that I can tell this other program what's going on...

ok, has ANYONE here heard ANYTHING from UPenn?? According to the results section of this site, people have been accepted, rejected, and one person even posted last Thursday that they were waitlisted. I have heard nothing. Nadda. Zilch. And it's making me crazy. I have another program pressing me for an answer, despite the fact that April 15 is still almost a month away (see my post in the "April 15 freakout forum") and would really like to hear SOMETHING from Penn so that I can tell this other program what's going on...

Go ahead and contact the graduate secretary at the department. Its understandable and (in my opinion) acceptable to contact them if you haven't heard anything by this point. Explain in the e-mail (or on the phone) that another program is pressuring you to give an answer and if you could at least find out if you are still under consideration at UPenn it would be very helpful. I have so far done this with two programs and I got an e-mail back right away from both of them.

Good luck to you.

Me too!

I am very anxious to know the result, no matter what it is.

To tell the truth, I really want to get admitted to Upenn!

After totally giving up on additional acceptances, I got an email from Temple today- I'm in!

Now, I've already accepted at Boulder, and there isn't much that would convince me otherwise. But...my treacherous mind is going...you won't be a minority in Philly...you'll be close to all your friends...you'll be in a city your family has heard of...maybe?

Someone, please, talk me down! I've been freaking out about race since the Barack Obama speech!

Whatever you do, visit both schools. Talk with professors and students--especially those you think might have useful perspective on the issues you're weighing right now. You most definitely don't want to be somewhere that you're constantly feeling out of place, but at the same time, don't sacrifice the opportunity to work with someone great for the temporary comfort of being closer to old friends, etc. (You'll have PLENTY of time in a Ph.D. program to make new ones!)

Academics aside, I spent many years in the Denver area (Boulder is only 20 minutes away). While I'm not speaking from the perspective of a minority, I find both Denver and Boulder to be very progressive and tolerant. Politically, Boulder is like the Berkeley of the Rocky Mountains (depending on your own views, this may or may not be a good thing). It's also beautiful, and I imagine it would be a great place to study.

On the other hand, if urban ethnography is your thing, you might think twice.

In any case, good luck with this decision. I'd be interested to hear what you decide.

Great username!

Thanks for the advice- I was having a moment. I did visit Boulder, and part of what had won me over then was how happy all the students seemed. The professors I met were really cool, and the students seemed non-competitive and relaxed, and supported.

Temple I know nothing about- Philly is the primary draw. But I will try to vosot and get a clear picture of my options before April 15. Thanks again.

And just for giggles; I thought I would only be interested in urban ethnography, but after my trip to Boulder, I'm leaning toward researching health disparities in chornic but non-fatal STDs among racial and gender lines.

Glad you appreciate the name. :) If you're still interested in urban ethnography, there's certainly work to be done in Denver, though you'll have to be creative. You definitely won't find anything like the Robert Taylor Homes there... plenty of dying suburbs and sprawl, though.

Good luck with the decision!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone who has got admitted to Soc at JHU and would NOT accept this offer? Would you please decline the offer ASAP if you would NOT go to JHU. I am waiting for a slot to be opened in order to leave the waiting list and get the offer. You know, 4.15 is approaching, so I need your prompt answer and action.

I will highly appreciate it if you could do so.