Sociology MS/PhD 2008 Applicants?

acoustic_mayhem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I'm also sitting around twiddling my thumbs and obsessively checking my e-mail in this fabulous Sociology PhD admissions process we all invested ourselves in. I thought I could offer some comic relief and give you my application strategy: two reach schools, period. I just never jumped on the reasonableness bandwagon I suppose. So I'm waiting to hear back from Stanford and Harvard. Try as I might, I can't find on this board or anywhere else any info on when those particular schools start to hand out acceptances. Anyone have any ideas?

From previous years results it looks like people recieved rejections from Ohio St. in the mail on 1/30.

Nothing in the mail today.

You might want to keep checking their website (like log into your application)-- from what I've seen, Ohio State is one of the few schools that will put accept/reject info on their website often before e-mailing or snail mailing results.

On a side note, will February *ever* get here?!

i also applied to cuny. the typical size of the entering class is about 20, i think (they get over 200 applications). of these 20, i think 8-12 get funding in the first year, though i think that funding will kick in for everyone eventually (year 2? year 3?) when you start teaching undergrads. i visited cuny & talked to a professor & this is what i think i remember about the conversation, though to be honest, everything was so heavily qualified & there were so many variables mentioned that my head was spinning by the time i was done. but anyway, the best scholarship is a 5-year guarantee of $16,500. and maybe it's 8-12 students who get that, & some other # who get some lesser deal. dammit, i'm really not sure.

if you get it in cuny will you go? it seems like a great program.

Hi Everyone -

I got my acceptance email and snail mail acceptance from Wisconsin Sociology last week, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the timeline for funding. I hear they are notorious for not funding many of their accepted students. Will they tell me if I don't have funding, and when?

I think Wisconsin has already let people know if they've been nominated for the University Fellowship. But, they have a bunch of TA and RA positions as well. I'm guessing they will start letting folks know soon about those options. But, not sure of an exact timeline.

What other programs did you apply to?

Anyone else out there applying for Sociology programs?

I just finished my 2nd application! This process is so overwhelming, I really hope I don't have to do it again next year......

I am an international applicant to sociology PhD program. Nothing to do these days but wait wait and wait......

Damn. I was really hoping for a fellowship.

I know! Considering their website says that they don't offer TA positions to incoming grad students, I figure thats the only way that I am going to receive any funding there, but I guess not...

Oh, and who was the person that got the email from Washington? Did it seem like an email sent out to all the acceptances.. cause if so.. then I guess thats that.

Oh, and who was the person that got the email from Washington? Did it seem like an email sent out to all the acceptances.. cause if so.. then I guess thats that.

I got the e-mail from Washington. They said they had just finished their first round of evaluations, so I would definitely not give up hope yet!

I got the e-mail from Washington. They said they had just finished their first round of evaluations, so I would definitely not give up hope yet!

Woo hoo!Well since I didn't receive anything today from grad schools, this is the best news I've gotten today! Thanks!

Oh and in regards to UW-M funding, I sent a note to the department and they said that they won't be making any decisions about funding (other than the fellowships that they already sent out) until after April 15th when they know exactly who will be attending. At that point, they will send out an application to TA and any RA job listings they have from professors.

In my opinion it is very crappy to withhold that information until after I have to make decisions (although at this point I guess I shouldn't be assuming I'll have to make any decisions =) )

Oh and in regards to UW-M funding, I sent a note to the department and they said that they won't be making any decisions about funding (other than the fellowships that they already sent out) until after April 15th when they know exactly who will be attending. At that point, they will send out an application to TA and any RA job listings they have from professors.

In my opinion it is very crappy to withhold that information until after I have to make decisions (although at this point I guess I shouldn't be assuming I'll have to make any decisions =) )

I agree. I was hoping for a fellowship from one of the research centers, not the main graduate school. Have those gone out as well?