acoustic_mayhem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rejected at Ohio St. and NC State.

I just hope I get in somewhere :(

I think I'm screwed.

Sorry to hear that...I just checked the Ohio State website and saw that I was rejected as well. I have one acceptance thus far, but I'm still disappointed about OSU. Hang in there, you still have several more schools to hear from. Waiting just sucks.

hey all. have applied to seven universities...

Wisconsin-Madison: admitted, funding nomination, no news from amount

UCLA: admitted, funding for five years (first and second years: 15,000)

Berkeley: rejected (heard about a scholar who is my friend there)

Stanford: no info. has anyone got any?

Princeton: no info. has anyone got any?

Michigan, Ann Arbor: no info. has anyone got any?

Johns Hopkins: no info, yet i have the impression that it would not be my option if i get admitted

i am also checking emails each twenty minutes! gosh, so long...

greetings from brazil!

hey all. have applied to seven universities...

Wisconsin-Madison: admitted, funding nomination, no news from amount

UCLA: admitted, funding for five years (first and second years: 15,000)

Berkeley: rejected (heard about a scholar who is my friend there)

Stanford: no info. has anyone got any?

Princeton: no info. has anyone got any?

Michigan, Ann Arbor: no info. has anyone got any?

Johns Hopkins: no info, yet i have the impression that it would not be my option if i get admitted

i am also checking emails each twenty minutes! gosh, so long...

greetings from brazil!

Hello, and welcome! Congrats on your good news from Wisconsin and UCLA, that's awesome!

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share why you aren't that intersted in attending JHU if you are admitted? I have applied there as well and I am anxiously awaiting their response, they are probably my 1st choice. If you hear anything from them would you mind posting??

Also, as a very likely fellow Berkeley reject I feel your pain....if you have any, given your awesome options already....

Good luck with everything else!

thank you! i am really happy about these two admissions.

concerning Johns Hopkins, i just have the impression that other universities to which i have applied have stronger faculty board. yet, it is a great school. profs. giovanni arrighi and beverly silver are worldwide known.

good luck to you too! wish you great news from JHU!

Hello everyone, I am an international applicant from China. Now I have receive rejections from Wisc-Madison and Vanderbilt :cry: .

Fortunatey, I also received an offer from Indiana U-Bloomington.

You know, as in China, I could not get much knowledge about graduate programs in sociology in the U.S. Could anyone provide some information about IUB and the sociology graduate program there?

My interest lies in quantitative method stratification, social movement and mathematical sociology.

Nice to meet every one here!

Best wishes for every soc 2008 applicant.

Hello everyone, I am an international applicant from China. Now I have receive rejections from Wisc-Madison and Vanderbilt :cry: .

Fortunatey, I also received an offer from Indiana U-Bloomington.

You know, as in China, I could not get much knowledge about graduate programs in sociology in the U.S. Could anyone provide some information about IUB and the sociology graduate program there?

My interest lies in quantitative method stratification, social movement and mathematical sociology.

Nice to meet every one here!

Best wishes for every soc 2008 applicant.

Welcome!

Congrats on your admission, I have also been admitted to the IUB Sociology program. What kinds of things did you want to know about it? Most of the things I know about it I've learned from their website, but I have heard from professors and others that they have an excellent teacher training program. I am planning on visiting sometime in March and can give you much more information then if you would like.

Bloomington is a small town in Indiana, but it is about 45 minutes from the city of Indianapolis. It seems like a nice place, but I will find out more when I actually go there.

Good luck with the rest of your applications!

Welcome!

Congrats on your admission, I have also been admitted to the IUB Sociology program. What kinds of things did you want to know about it? Most of the things I know about it I've learned from their website, but I have heard from professors and others that they have an excellent teacher training program. I am planning on visiting sometime in March and can give you much more information then if you would like.

Bloomington is a small town in Indiana, but it is about 45 minutes from the city of Indianapolis. It seems like a nice place, but I will find out more when I actually go there.

Good luck with the rest of your applications!

It's very kind of you! Look forward to further information from you!

The same to you: good luck with the rest of your applications.

I applied to nine schools:

U of Arizona

U Colorado-Boulder- Campus Visit next week, no word yet

U of Cincinnati- accepted (my alma mater)

Ohio State-not Sociology (they were mean during a campus visit; Applied to education instead)

Emory

Syracuse

Temple

UC- San Diego- big-time rejected

SUNY Stony Brook

I am joining everyone else in the nail biting and hope. I'm returning after 10 years, interested in language socialization and social capital/stratification, gender, urban, ethnicity...I'm hoping for three yesses, so I feel like I have a choice.

No, havent heard from PENN. Just wondering, how did you like Amherst? Grad Program? Town?

I did like UMass - was very sad to leave. There were, however, a couple of issues that prevented me from applying again. At the time that I was there, the department was rife with political bantering... It was difficult, at that time, for them to keep younger faculty who I was interested in working with (after I left, most of the faculty who I had really connected to also left - a large part of why I decided to not go back). This was, however, during the 04-05 SY, so things may be different. Faculty were pretty attentive, and there was a fair amount of grad student/faculty collaboration on articles and such, which was positive. My stipend at the time was ~$12,000, health insurance was included. There is a pretty active graduate student union on campus, which was also positive.

As for the area... I didn't ever really spend a lot of time in Amherst center (except for a couple of good bookstores and the brewing company after stats on Thursdays :)) Amherst itself is pretty small, and heavily populated by undergrads. I chose, instead, to live in Northampton, just about 15 minutes away. The area is quite expensive. I found that fellow grad students who were unattached or who had partners with full time income could survive much better than I was able to (my husband had gone back to finish his undergrad at the time). Our 1-BR apartment in NoHo was about $1000/mo. ouch. Cheaper can be found, though, but not by too much.

I also noticed in an earlier post that you (?) had mentioned your wife finding employment. This will be difficult in this area - the area is flooded with advanced degrees (since it's the 5-college area in an otherwise rather sparse area of the state).

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully my answers help not just you, msocgradstudent, but others, as well.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, my significant other needs to find a secondary school teaching job wherever I get accepted. This is mandatory. My anxiety is cumulatively rising since I have not been accepted anywhere yet. Has anyone else heard from Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Washington-Seattle, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern? Anyways, Best of luck to all.

P.S. Do you think Amherst is hard to get into? It is my back up but at this point I am unsure about everything.

P.S. Do you think Amherst is hard to get into? It is my back up but at this point I am unsure about everything.

Not sure about this... I know that, for my cohort, somewhere in the nieghborhood of 200 applied, and about 10 were admitted (all with full funding).

Best of luck - all we can do is cross our fingers at this point!

Thanks for the input. Yeah, my significant other needs to find a secondary school teaching job wherever I get accepted. This is mandatory. My anxiety is cumulatively rising since I have not been accepted anywhere yet. Has anyone else heard from Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Washington-Seattle, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern? Anyways, Best of luck to all.

I am currently a 1st year Ph.D student and used grad cafe last year...so as I was reminiscing about how a year had already passed since I was accepted I decided to take a look at Grad Cafe. That being said, I decided to post to help alleviate some of the anxiety everyone is having (completely understandable).

I applied to nine schools last year: SUNY Albany, UMass Amherst, Princeton, Yale, Rutgers, Graduate Center CUNY, Columbia, UConn, and NYU. I have to say that anyone who has hears back this week or next is receiving relatively EARLY notifications...so fear not. And usually if you hear now, it is an acceptance or rejection. The next few weeks are usually additional "cuts." Last year at this time I had heard back from three schools: 2 acceptances and 1 rejection. Hope this helps.

One note to UPenn applicants- a good friend of mine applied last year and they were pretty late (late March) in responding with a rejection.

Hope this helps. I may occasionally check Grad Cafe (during work breaks :) ) to see if anyone has any questions. Good Luck! And it is okay to check 10 times a day- I did and got my wanted acceptance notification at work!

eek - you're right! I just checked the results section of this website and narrowed everything down to results from Penn over the last couple of years... it seems that the Soc department isn't giving out decisions (for the past couple of years, at least) until late March or even April! I suppose that I can scale back my obsessive checking of the website, my email, and this forum for a time...

CarpeDiemOmniDiem,

Thanks so much for offering your services. It's such a treat to have someone who's been though this already volunteer to answer questions. I only applied to four schools, and so far I've got one acceptance and one rejection. Since all the schools I applied to are on your list, I figured I'd ask: if you can remember, when did you hear back from Rutgers and CUNY? I'm getting a little antsy, since I've got a great acceptance and don't want to draw this process out unneccessarily, but I'd like to know what's going on with these last two applications. I'm getting the feeling these programs tend to notify somewhat late in the game. Am I right? Thanks!

Has anyone else heard from Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Washington-Seattle, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern?

I was accepted to the University of Washington-Seattle a few weeks ago. Johns Hopkins is currently in the process of reviewing applications and will be notifying sometime in the next 2 weeks.

I've actually heard from 9 of the 12 schools I applied to, and I'm also positive I've been rejected from Berkeley even though I haven't gotten the official letter yet...

So, I'm just waiting on 2 more, guess most of mine decided to notify early....... :shock:

CarpeDiemOmniDiem,

Thanks so much for offering your services. It's such a treat to have someone who's been though this already volunteer to answer questions. I only applied to four schools, and so far I've got one acceptance and one rejection. Since all the schools I applied to are on your list, I figured I'd ask: if you can remember, when did you hear back from Rutgers and CUNY? I'm getting a little antsy, since I've got a great acceptance and don't want to draw this process out unneccessarily, but I'd like to know what's going on with these last two applications. I'm getting the feeling these programs tend to notify somewhat late in the game. Am I right? Thanks!

No problem Nativenewyorker- glad to help :) Rutgers and CUNY were both around the second week in March...

I received a call from the grad director at Rutgers who wanted to have a phone conversation about my desire/intent to go to Rutgers. Based on that, I think that they either make one decision wave at the end of Feb/ beginning of March and a second wave decision by the second week in March on people they are "on the fence" about (which I believe I was one of). Also, my friend did apply to Rutgers and got a rejection in Feb.- so I am pretty sure they do a "reject as they go" - if you haven't heard, you are still in the hunt probably. Both of us just checked on the online site - they post your admittance decision on there BEFORE the email notification came (this probably only fuels your desire to check the site every other minute-sorry).

As far as CUNY I am pretty sure that the earliest they send acceptance letters are early March and in fact, the funding letter comes separate 2-3 weeks later near the end of March. The other thing is, generally CUNY unfortunately does not have a lot of guaranteed funding- but you may already know that. You are usually able to get TA positions and their tuition is relatively "affordable" compared to other schools if you do want to attend without funding.

Good luck! I will continue to check the Grad Cafe in case anyone else has questions.

"I was accepted to the University of Washington-Seattle a few weeks ago. Johns Hopkins is currently in the process of reviewing applications and will be notifying sometime in the next 2 weeks."

Did you receive a fellowship from Washington? Im wondering why some people still have not heard as of yet. Are you planning on going there or have better schools in mind. Please share your stats if you wouldnt mind. It's always a mystery what they are looking for.