Fall 2018 Social Psych PhD/Master applicants

PokePsych

10 minutes ago, JustSad said:

Well, I made similar rationalizations after being unsuccessful last year but this year, there have been few other revelations.

Unless you are aiming for Ivies (then you need stellar grades and stellar everything), I think it's not just the credentials (like GPA, GRE score, etc) that matter. Fit matters a lot. Also, a huge factor is if you are an international student (with international degree)-then you need to be a REALLY good fit and have really good credentials. Having Master's probably help but only go for it if it's funded..the other option (especially if you are an American) is to get few years of research experience as an RA in a good lab somewhere.

Another point to keep in mind is that a lot of it is a crapshoot (a term I actually learned in gradcafe lol). I got interviewed from a top school but wasn't even considered for interview from much lower ranked schools (in some of these, I was possibly an even better fit!). Such stories abound in gradcafe.

One more thing, if you really think you are a good fit for a lab, then get in touch with the concerned professor as early as possible (that's one advice I am giving myself too, for next year, incase it doesn't work out this year too) and keep in touch with them-exchange ideas, comment on their research, ask insightful questions.

All the best!

TOTALLY AGREED!!!! "Also, a huge factor is if you are an international student (with international degree)-then you need to be a REALLY good fit and have really good credentials. " I got waitslisted from the program which i am doing RA at, also one of my LoRs is from the lab i applied. I asked my POI for that school for an update, she literally just told me word by word "it has 100% to do with the difficulty of admitting international student at the dept." and i am on her waitlist. so sad....... i was actually quite confident that i could at least get an interview chance with them......

On 2/11/2018 at 1:19 AM, georginazhou said:

TOTALLY AGREED!!!! "Also, a huge factor is if you are an international student (with international degree)-then you need to be a REALLY good fit and have really good credentials. " I got waitslisted from the program which i am doing RA at, also one of my LoRs is from the lab i applied. I asked my POI for that school for an update, she literally just told me word by word "it has 100% to do with the difficulty of admitting international student at the dept." and i am on her waitlist. so sad....... i was actually quite confident that i could at least get an interview chance with them......

Being an international student already puts you 10 steps back - simply because of fudning reasons.

Rejected from CU Boulder after attending interview weekend. Feeling very worried and nervous now as I only have one more school interested in interviewing me, and if that fails then it's back to the drawing board.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:13 PM, dejaf said:

Has anyone heard anything from USC or UCSB. I know I saw that Santa Barbara was still getting their stuff together a few weeks back - wondering if there's been any more progress??

I contacted my POI at UCSB a few weeks ago and she said they took a big social psych class last year so the department only has funds for one or two students, and some professors are lower on priority. Hope that helps.

update for those wondering (something I got from an interview): Most decisions are likely to be made before the SPSP meeting (which is March 1-3). Timelines seem to vary a lot per school in terms of POIs - so don't be discouraged if others have heard and you haven't!

I've been waitlisted for the second program that I interviewed with, and rejected from all others. The program director emailed me to say I made a very positive impression and am still being highly considered, but it just depends on who accepts and funding. This is super stressful because obviously it could be weeks until I hear anything. So in the mean time I'm trying to explore alternative options which is equally as discouraging. 

So, folks, if any of you have received an offer for USF's CNS program and don't plan on accepting, please do your girl (aka me) a solid, and let them know soon :(

• 1 month later...