Fall 2018 Social Psych PhD/Master applicants

PokePsych

5 hours ago, Psygeek said:

And another day of not hearing anything lolz. 

I’m really sorry. Keep your head up, some schools do multiple rounds and if people decline, they invite or accept others.

However, if you don’t get accepted, it seems the original list of schools that you listed was some very competitive schools you can apply to. If you do end up trying again, I may suggest applying to some schools with less applicants and/or that are less competitive in general. It may help your odds

12 minutes ago, Stauce said:

I’m really sorry. Keep your head up, some schools do multiple rounds and if people decline, they invite or accept others.

However, if you don’t get accepted, it seems the original list of schools that you listed was some very competitive schools you can apply to. If you do end up trying again, I may suggest applying to some schools with less applicants and/or that are less competitive in general. It may help your odds

I just want to reiterate the point of applying to some schools that are less competitive. This is my second round of applications (the first resulted in me attending MAPSS at UChicago), and one of the biggest things that my MA program emphasized to us in regards to applying to PhD programs was having a good spread of schools. This consists of some very competitive schools, schools within reach, and some "safety" schools. They also encouraged applying to 10 schools total with a fairly even split among the 3 levels of schools (which seems like a lot to me). However, their point is that having a good spread might be viewed more favorably by admissions committees, because by selecting schools with varying levels of competitiveness, you show that you are seriously pursuing a PhD within you field, regardless of school ranking.

Just thought I'd share what I've been told.

1 hour ago, MixedMethods said:

I just want to reiterate the point of applying to some schools that are less competitive. This is my second round of applications (the first resulted in me attending MAPSS at UChicago), and one of the biggest things that my MA program emphasized to us in regards to applying to PhD programs was having a good spread of schools. This consists of some very competitive schools, schools within reach, and some "safety" schools. They also encouraged applying to 10 schools total with a fairly even split among the 3 levels of schools (which seems like a lot to me). However, their point is that having a good spread might be viewed more favorably by admissions committees, because by selecting schools with varying levels of competitiveness, you show that you are seriously pursuing a PhD within you field, regardless of school ranking.

I would qualify the recommendation that we both made with the fact that sometimes the research and faculty you really like is going to be at primarily prestigious/competitive universities (or vica versa), and it's hard for me to say what is the best course of action if all the faculty who you are drawn to are at top universities. Ultimately, that seems unlikely as you can usually find faculty you like at all sorts of ranges of competitiveness if you look hard enough, I think.

2 hours ago, MixedMethods said:

I have also heard to apply to at least ten schools when applying with the same suggestion of being realistic when applying to those schools (through profs at my MA program). This is my first rounds of apps and applying to ten wasn't feasible for me this round; however, I do plan to keep that in mind if I have to try again next year.  

6 minutes ago, motherofdragons23 said:

I have also heard to apply to at least ten schools when applying with the same suggestion of being realistic when applying to those schools (through profs at my MA program). This is my first rounds of apps and applying to ten wasn't feasible for me this round; however, I do plan to keep that in mind if I have to try again next year.  

I completely get it. Application costs can really add up! 

9 hours ago, Stauce said:

I would qualify the recommendation that we both made with the fact that sometimes the research and faculty you really like is going to be at primarily prestigious/competitive universities (or vica versa), and it's hard for me to say what is the best course of action if all the faculty who you are drawn to are at top universities. Ultimately, that seems unlikely as you can usually find faculty you like at all sorts of ranges of competitiveness if you look hard enough, I think.

10 hours ago, MixedMethods said:

Although I heard this a bunch of time, I did consider it - but decided not to apply to schools I didn't 'really' feel like going or that wouldn't seem to fit my long-term career goals. I simply don't see the point of forgoing a decent paycheck in Europe + a top school here for any other school I'm not excited to work at in a different country. Applications work differently here - spots are available through the year as staff gets funding and the applications are more like applying for a job. If I don't get in - me and my current supervisor will start applying for funding together and I'll apply to anything exciting that comes across.

I've applied to these specific schools as there are people there who do extremely exciting stuff - like it really excites me and I've basically read every paper they published haha. It excites me more than any other opportunities I have now (which include continuing to work with my current supervisor, an offer from a PhD with a different person, etc.). That said, I don't think for example Singapore management is a very high ranking school - but their stuff on multiculturalism and cosmopolitanism is right up my alley and this school is in a great location to pursue this type of work. I also crossed off all schools in locations I don't like (rather go to a nice European city) or who didn't fund international students (there were actually quite some). 

I think we learned different lessons from our Master's. Having been involved in a lot of projects with a lot of people - my biggest lesson was to do a topic I really love with a person I really like. I've worked with far too many difficult profs (ego's, disorganized, etc.) or topics I didn't 'really' like. I'm serious about a PhD but I'm not just gonna go anywhere. Besides, thinking long term, and given the fact that a small number of universities fill up the majority of staff positions after the PhD (can't find the exact paper), I don't want to apply to 'safe' schools. I'm perfectly capable now of finding a research job outside of academics with my current degree - which is plan B.

19 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

Although I heard this a bunch of time, I did consider it - but decided not to apply to schools I didn't 'really' feel like going or that wouldn't seem to fit my long-term career goals. I simply don't see the point of forgoing a decent paycheck in Europe + a top school here for any other school I'm not excited to work at in a different country. Applications work differently here - spots are available through the year as staff gets funding and the applications are more like applying for a job. If I don't get in - me and my current supervisor will start applying for funding together and I'll apply to anything exciting that comes across.

I've applied to these specific schools as there are people there who do extremely exciting stuff - like it really excites me and I've basically read every paper they published haha. It excites me more than any other opportunities I have now (which include continuing to work with my current supervisor, an offer from a PhD with a different person, etc.). That said, I don't think for example Singapore management is a very high ranking school - but their stuff on multiculturalism and cosmopolitanism is right up my alley and this school is in a great location to pursue this type of work. I also crossed off all schools in locations I don't like (rather go to a nice European city) or who didn't fund international students (there were actually quite some). 

I think we learned different lessons from our Master's. Having been involved in a lot of projects with a lot of people - my biggest lesson was to do a topic I really love with a person I really like. I've worked with far too many difficult profs (ego's, disorganized, etc.) or topics I didn't 'really' like. I'm serious about a PhD but I'm not just gonna go anywhere. Besides, thinking long term, and given the fact that a small number of universities fill up the majority of staff positions after the PhD (can't find the exact paper), I don't want to apply to 'safe' schools. I'm perfectly capable now of finding a research job outside of academics with my current degree - which is plan B.

Your strategy is exactly like mine - I am only applying to programs I am very excited about, most of which are very competitive. As a Brazilian, I don't see the point in moving to another country to do a PhD in a department I am not very excited about. Although this strategy is certainly risky, it is the one that makes the most sense to me as an international applicant.

Best luck with your application!!!

29 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

3 minutes ago, Psych.dsd said:

Your strategy is exactly like mine - I am only applying to programs I am very excited about, most of which are very competitive. As a Brazilian, I don't see the point in moving to another country to do a PhD in a department I am not very excited about. Although this strategy is certainly risky, it is the one that makes the most sense to me as an international applicant.

Agreed. I am an international student too. I only applied to the programs which are nice research fits. It is a 5-year commitment, I don't see the point of applying/going to a "safe" school, if it is just for the sake of a PhD degree. 

17 minutes ago, georginazhou said:

Agreed. I am an international student too. I only applied to the programs which are nice research fits. It is a 5-year commitment, I don't see the point of applying/going to a "safe" school, if it is just for the sake of a PhD degree. 

I honestly agree as well. I think that fit is always the most important, however a range of schools might be something to consider. Personally, my research interests were broad enough to afford me a range of schools that fit me well (in my opinion, and hopefully the ad com's opinion as well ;) ), so I applied to a ones across a range of competitiveness.  But yes, I agree it's important to be excited. I can't imagine investing so many resources and applying to programs I didn't really care for just for the sake of getting in. 

52 minutes ago, Psych.dsd said:

45 minutes ago, georginazhou said:

Power to the internats hehehe! Hope you all make it too! If you ever need any advice/knowledge/info about Europe - hit me up through PM! Glad to help anyone!

25 minutes ago, MixedMethods said:

I honestly agree as well. I think that fit is always the most important, however a range of schools might be something to consider. Personally, my research interests were broad enough to afford me a range of schools that fit me well (in my opinion, and hopefully the ad com's opinion as well ;) ), so I applied to a ones across a range of competitiveness.  But yes, I agree it's important to be excited. I can't imagine investing so many resources and applying to programs I didn't really care for just for the sake of getting in. 

Did you know in Europe it's even FREE to apply - like no money involved :P The only thing I regret is not applying to a number of business schools (other than SMU).

4 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

Did you know in Europe it's even FREE to apply - like no money involved :P The only thing I regret is not applying to a number of business schools (other than SMU).

For various reasons related to life, I'm limiting my search to here at the moment. But that's good to know... for my next PhD...? haha

11 hours ago, Psych.dsd said:

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here for the sake of introducing diverse perspectives. I drafted my applications list according to my overall fit with the program - not according to the school or location. I'm an international student as well, and what I experienced thus far in my life was that I can live anywhere as long as I like my job, like the people, and have a semi-decent social circle. Midwest vs. Deep South vs. East Coast vs. West Coast, it really doesn't matter. Or better put, it matters, but as a student in a very competitive field, I don't get to dictate where I live. The universe does. Wherever the best program is, I'll go and live there. 

Last year, my criterion for application was that I applied to a school only if I imagined myself living there (e.g., New York, Seattle)...Big mistake! You'll be so busy with your program and commitments that you don't have the time to enjoy the city. Even as a Master's student I had so many days when I literally didn't leave my building. 

So this year, I applied all across the U.S. if I saw fit with the program, and honestly I can say it worked. It's very early to tally up the numbers, but the number of schools I am shortlisted at doubled compared to last year. My recommendation for next year's applicants, prioritize the program instead of the location. Your social life may suffer for 5 years, but your degree worth it.

12 hours ago, georginazhou said:

I agree with this as well. I think with my original comment I was not trying to suggest "safety" schools or getting a PhD just for the sake of it, as I think that would be silly/misguided. But I think it's easier to find the top researchers in a certain field who are often at prestigious schools. It's often more difficult to find less renowned faculty at smaller schools but still doing the same or similar topics, but I tend to believe they exist for most interests and that there is a range of competitiveness. I honestly don't believe in safety schools, just that you can sometimes search people you like and their collaborations, and find new or young faculty or something at less prestigious universities with similar/identical interests by, for example, seeing who they mentored/advised or something.

I am sorry if it seemed earlier like I was encouraging just applying to safety schools for the sake of acquiring a PhD. That was not my intent. I agree with everyone's comments/sentiments.

Hey nerds, just wanted to add a random note of encouragement! I got accepted last year to two of my dream programs, and even though the other students in my area are excited for recruitment weekend because it's two days of free real food (rather than our usual peanut butter sandwiches and apples..) and hanging out with the whole area, I really feel for the interviewees - I remember how horrifically anxiety-inducing the whole thing was. But the grad students are just there trying to get to know potential new members of their family, nothing more.

Anyways, I managed to make up for my 3.1 undergrad GPA with two years of volunteering in labs (post-graduation) followed by two years of being a lab manager for two awesome social psych professors. I thought I had no chance when I started out, but thankfully for social psychology, it's the grittiest people who aren't willing to let go to the dream who win in the end. :)  So many of the current students applied multiple times (I applied three times total), so just because you maybe weren't the strongest candidate last year doesn't mean anything for this year.

3 hours ago, Nut-ella said:

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here for the sake of introducing diverse perspectives. I drafted my applications list according to my overall fit with the program - not according to the school or location. I'm an international student as well, and what I experienced thus far in my life was that I can live anywhere as long as I like my job, like the people, and have a semi-decent social circle. Midwest vs. Deep South vs. East Coast vs. West Coast, it really doesn't matter. Or better put, it matters, but as a student in a very competitive field, I don't get to dictate where I live. The universe does. Wherever the best program is, I'll go and live there. 

Last year, my criterion for application was that I applied to a school only if I imagined myself living there (e.g., New York, Seattle)...Big mistake! You'll be so busy with your program and commitments that you don't have the time to enjoy the city. Even as a Master's student I had so many days when I literally didn't leave my building. 

So this year, I applied all across the U.S. if I saw fit with the program, and honestly I can say it worked. It's very early to tally up the numbers, but the number of schools I am shortlisted at doubled compared to last year. My recommendation for next year's applicants, prioritize the program instead of the location. Your social life may suffer for 5 years, but your degree worth it.

I agree with you. Perhaps my point was not very clear in my previous post, I didn't mean that location was more important than the program. In fact, i believe location is a minor (if relevant at all) consideration fo a PhD applicant. The department, and the research being conducted by the faculty, is a far more relevant consideration. People usually overestimate how important location is to their well-being. To me, what matters most is having a group of friends that you can rely on - especially during a PhD, when loneliness is (unfortunately) an issue. You can find that anywhere, be it in a small or big city, west/east coast or midwest, small or big department, etc.

In fact, one of the happiest times in my life was when I was an exchange student in the American midwest. There wasn't much to do in the city, but there was always someone to hang out with. Being connected to people is what really matters!

On top of that, as you said, relying on research fit when applying may maximize the chances of admission. 

15 hours ago, Stauce said:

I agree with this as well. I think with my original comment I was not trying to suggest "safety" schools or getting a PhD just for the sake of it, as I think that would be silly/misguided. But I think it's easier to find the top researchers in a certain field who are often at prestigious schools. It's often more difficult to find less renowned faculty at smaller schools but still doing the same or similar topics, but I tend to believe they exist for most interests and that there is a range of competitiveness. I honestly don't believe in safety schools, just that you can sometimes search people you like and their collaborations, and find new or young faculty or something at less prestigious universities with similar/identical interests by, for example, seeing who they mentored/advised or something.

I am sorry if it seemed earlier like I was encouraging just applying to safety schools for the sake of acquiring a PhD. That was not my intent. I agree with everyone's comments/sentiments.

No worries

My point was more - If I'd go for the less prestigious peeps & schools, I could do that here in Europe and save big time on the $$$$$$

I do believe location is important - BUT that is also because of what I want to study. Living in a big city that is culturally diverse or a school with a very diverse population comes in extremely handy if you want to do (cross-)cultural psych. Happens to be that prestigious schools attract more diverse students in general, however this is also why I have for example Singapore on my list. 

U Waterloo just sent out their rejections. I expected mine - my proofreader botched my statement stylistically and my non-native insecurity caught up (other statements I didn't listen to this guy), plus I couldn't upload my resume and writing sample which I believe are on my strengths. Still sucks. 

On a positive note, finally finished my application for SMU today. 

It seems like Social Psychology invites have died down on the results page.

Has anyone heard from any of the following for Social Psychology?

• Cornell
  • UCSB
  • Columbia
  • Pittsburgh

Also, just to confirm, it sounds like all invites have concluded for the following, right?

• Texas at Austin
  • Penn State
  • UNC-Chapel Hill

52 minutes ago, Stauce said:

• Cornell
  • UCSB
  • Columbia
  • Pittsburgh

Also, just to confirm, it sounds like all invites have concluded for the following, right?

• Texas at Austin
  • Penn State
  • UNC-Chapel Hill

I contacted Columbia, the dept. responded "The invitations have been already sent out. The official decisions will not be made until late February." So........ Also reached out to Cornell psych dept. last week, no response yet.

3 minutes ago, georginazhou said:

I contacted Columbia, the dept. responded "The invitations have been already sent out. The official decisions will not be made until late February." So........ Also reached out to Cornell psych dept. last week, no response yet.

Oh man, I had no idea. Saw nothing about Columbia on the results page so was holding out hope. Thanks for updating me.

Just thought it would be helpful for those who need this, I got confirmation from those schools below (emailed the grad office or POI, got response " all invitation sent "):

UC Davis

Columbia

Purdue

Uni of Florida

Uni of Utah

UC San Diego

1 hour ago, Stauce said:

• Cornell
  • UCSB
  • Columbia
  • Pittsburgh

• Texas at Austin
  • Penn State
  • UNC-Chapel Hill

Cornell's SP program has sent out invitations for its visiting weekend.

Best of luck.