Fall 2018 Social Psych PhD/Master applicants

PokePsych

Had an informal interview with my POI at Penn State.  Really nice person, I would totally accept the offer if I am lucky. 

He told me interview invitation will be sent out by next week. Good Luck everyone. 

Going crazy waiting for news.... I heard from one school back in December and I know I'm out of the running for 2 others (barring some miracle), but am still waiting to hear from 6 programs. From obsessively refreshing the results page on this site, it looks like the remaining 6 have all been pretty quiet, but it's still nerve wracking to think that invites could have gone out and I'd have no idea! Especially since this seems to be The Big Week based on looking at past years' results. Ahhhhhhh!

12 minutes ago, Stauce said:

Yeah, I don't know about you guys but I have had informal interviews with three but not a single formal invitation yet. I am surprised. Do things usually develop this late or am I just unlikely to receive an invitation?

I’m inclined to say that there is still hope! I applied to 10 schools, 4 of which I don’t think sent invites yet. My current advisor said my POI informed her that this schools was sending out next week.

32 minutes ago, Stauce said:

Yeah, I don't know about you guys but I have had informal interviews with three but not a single formal invitation yet. I am surprised. Do things usually develop this late or am I just unlikely to receive an invitation?

I've only had one informal interview, and I have another scheduled for tomorrow. The one from today said they would be letting me know about an in-person interview after they finish up phone interviews, and that it was all happening early because there was only one day when all of the faculty members would be available to do an on-campus visit. This leads me to believe that it's still early in the social psych world to be having formal interviews.  I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools so I think we're all in the same boat

49 minutes ago, motherofdragons23 said:

Has anyone heard from UMN's social program yet? From previous results, it looks like they tend to send out acceptances around this week. 

I'm keeping an eye out for this as well! I applied for their Personality, Individual Differences, and Behavior Genetics field in the psych program but I imagine once social psych acceptances start going out, I might *hopefully* hear back as well... hopefully!

22 hours ago, turpentine said:

I know UMich's social program is a longshot but am still lowkey crossing my fingers waiting for an email...it seems like around this time last year was when acceptances started getting sent out. 

I went to U-M's diversity recruitment weekend and they really emphasized the importance of research fit when it comes to selecting students since everyone looks so similar on paper. Nearly every area of psych (except maybe clinical science) said that GRE scores were somewhat important or not really important as long as the student has demonstrated that they are prepared for graduate school in other ways (i.e., independent research, faculty recommendations, etc.) Personally, I feel like my stats aren't all that great (155V/157Q/5.5 W, 3.89 GPA, no publications but lots of independent research), but my letters were strong, and my research projects clearly matched up with the interests of the faculty I applied to work with, so I got the acceptance (developmental). Social usually follows after developmental, and so you might hear back soon! 

55 minutes ago, ilikepsych said:

I went to U-M's diversity recruitment weekend and they really emphasized the importance of research fit when it comes to selecting students since everyone looks so similar on paper. Nearly every area of psych (except maybe clinical science) said that GRE scores were somewhat important or not really important as long as the student has demonstrated that they are prepared for graduate school in other ways (i.e., independent research, faculty recommendations, etc.) Personally, I feel like my stats aren't all that great (155V/157Q/5.5 W, 3.89 GPA, no publications but lots of independent research), but my letters were strong, and my research projects clearly matched up with the interests of the faculty I applied to work with, so I got the acceptance (developmental). Social usually follows after developmental, and so you might hear back soon! 

I was also at the diversity recruitment weekend (this year). I hope to hear back soon. Congratulations on your acceptance, that's so amazing!

I am currently in a program and was pretty active in the Social Psych 2017 thread so I hop on here from time to time to just check in. I wanted to chime in with a bit of reassurance. It is still SUPER EARLY! I did not hear from HALF my schools until after February 1st, and did not even get my first official acceptance until mid-March. Yes, many do send out invites this week but I know in my program, many of the faculty have not even began making their "informal interview" phone calls, and another friend who is in a different program also told me the same thing. So with all that said, do not think that just because you have not heard this week that all hope is lost. I promise you, it is not! Hang in there, friends. It will be over soon and this time next year, hopefully you will all be super stressed out in grad school!

24 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

I am currently in a program and was pretty active in the Social Psych 2017 thread so I hop on here from time to time to just check in. I wanted to chime in with a bit of reassurance. It is still SUPER EARLY! I did not hear from HALF my schools until after February 1st, and did not even get my first official acceptance until mid-March. Yes, many do send out invites this week but I know in my program, many of the faculty have not even began making their "informal interview" phone calls, and another friend who is in a different program also told me the same thing. So with all that said, do not think that just because you have not heard this week that all hope is lost. I promise you, it is not! Hang in there, friends. It will be over soon and this time next year, hopefully you will all be super stressed out in grad school!

Congratulations to your dog on his PhD btw. Very impressive, considering the lack of opposable thumbs and all

40 minutes ago, Stauce said:

Congratulations to your dog on his PhD btw. Very impressive, considering the lack of opposable thumbs and all

She is really impressive, considering she got her PhD way before my poor, sad human self could. 

16 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

This is weirdly comforting

On 1/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, SocialPsycNerd said:

Just like @Psygeek said, be honest and open about it. If you want, you can feel free to DM me with your POI. Not only was VCU where I went to undergrad, I work in one of the labs there. The majority of the researchers here are really wonderful about pretty much everything!

Thanks guys! I followed your advice and got invited to the official interview day!

Hi everyone,

I am in the waiting period for some PhD programs in social psych, but have heard back from quite a few. I am just about to finish my master's degree. Here are some personal stats:

• 4.0 grad school GPA; 3.55 undergrad GPA
  • GRE V/Q/W = 160/159/5.0
  • 2.5 years research experience in two labs; great letters of rec (I only know this because a few people who interviewed me told me to make sure I thanked my letter writers)
  • 2 publications (1 is first-authored); 2 papers under review (1 is first-authored)
  • 2 semesters TAing methods and stats classes; 2 semesters tutoring stats; 1 semester working as a data analyst

I have had informal Skype interviews with POIs at Penn State, Brown University, Boston College, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Florida State University.

I have been invited for in-person interviews to all of the above but Urbana-Champaign and Brown University. Does anyone else know what's going on at Brown? I have seen some people post that they have been invited for in-person interviews there, and others post that they were informed they were rejected after Skype interviews. I haven't heard anything since my Skype meetings.

I also applied to UC Irvine, University of Utah (Organizational Management), Northwestern Kellogg School of Management (Management), University of Chicago Booth School of Business (Behavior Science), Harvard, and Cornell. Anyone hear from any of these places?

I hope this helps!

Edited by RyanMc1289

Hey, everyone!

School: Syracuse University

Program: Social Psych PhD 

Type of interview: In-person

I had a Skype interview with my POI a few weeks ago and just heard back on Friday. This is my top school and I'm so excited/nervous!

School: Penn State

Program: Social Psych PhD 

Type of interview: Visiting Weekend

Time: evening of 2/1- morning of 2/3

Anyone else is going? DM me if you would like to discuss how to prepare for this.