Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering - PhD Application Profiles for Fall 2018 Admittance

PickleRick

I got an interview with Oxford for their Biomedical Imaging program!

@thaibear Do you have any info about the interview or best ways to prepare? In the email they sent me, they say it'll include "some questions designed to test your confidence and ability in mathematics"... it's been a number of years since I was in a pure math class so this is making me nervous!

@bmeupscotty My brother had an interview 4 years ago (he's graduating from Oxford BME this year), and he told me that they asked him questions like "What is the approximate size of this room (the room the interviewers are in)?" and "How many milk cartons can fit inside this room?" Don't stress about it too much though. If you don't know the answer to the question, it's okay to say that you do not know the answer. However, you should try your very best in answering their questions. The questions are designed to test the way you think rather than the actual answer. If possible, be sure to ask them about funding opportunities available for international students. UK universities usually provide funding for students within the EU only. By the way, do you know the name of your interviewers? 

7 hours ago, TinyAquarianNinja said:

Duke seems like it's not done with invites yet! I just got one today. :)

Do you mind telling me when the campus visit is ??? I did an interview with duke faculty in mid-Jan and has not heard back since then... super nervous....

@thaibear Thanks for the info! That makes me feel much better about the math questions. I'll definitely ask about funding-- that's always been a big maybe with applying there. I'd LOVE to go, but I've known from the start it might very well not be possible. I don't know yet who I'll be interviewing with, but I'll post again once I know!

@bmeupscotty Each professor has her/his own style of interviewing, so knowing your interviewers beforehand means winning half the battle. Since you have already been accepted into two of the top BME schools in the U.S., I'm sure that the Oxford interview wouldn't be much of a problem. My brother told me that they also asked him scientific questions related to his field of interest (he gave a bunch of wrong answers, but he still managed to get in :D). Since your field is imaging, you MIGHT be asked a few questions regarding some imaging techniques (ultrasound, MRI, PET, CT-scan). Best of luck! 

Edited by thaibear

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 11:40 PM, Frankkkkk said:

Do you mind telling me when the campus visit is ??? I did an interview with duke faculty in mid-Jan and has not heard back since then... super nervous....

ah sorry, forgot to answer. the february visit was this past weekend; there's one more recruitment weekend in march.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, kangaroomr said:

Has anyone heard from northwestern?

They've sent out some acceptances, but I know for a fact that they haven't sent them all out at once. Not very helpful, but hopefully you hear something good!

Hello all! Good luck with all of your interviews and decisions! I was in your shoes two years ago, and I definitely don't want to relive that stress. But, interviewing was a great experience and really helped me narrow down what I was interested in and what type of people I wanted to work with.

If you have any questions about programs, let me know! I obviously know the most about JHU, but I did go on several interviews to other programs.