Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering - PhD Application Profiles for Fall 2018 Admittance

PickleRick

6 hours ago, bmeupscotty said:

Accepted to WashU! Also rejected from Oxford this morning, but knew it was a long-shot anyway.

Congratulations! In MY opinion, WashU, GaTech/Emory, and UNC/NCSU's bioengineering programs are better than that of Oxford anyway hehe :D 

I heard that case interviews at their open house, I'm an international student, haven't got any interview invite from them yet, any hope left for me ? And I also applied to OSU , but I cannot find anyone hose got any interview calls from them, some help here as well 

15 minutes ago, krd_BME said:

So for BU, a bunch of people have been rejected, accepted, and wait listed within the past few days, but I have heard nothing. Does that mean that my application has not been brought to a decision yet? 

I am in the same situation... no idea what that means :wacko:

6 minutes ago, BMEADC said:

I am in the same situation... no idea what that means :wacko:

At least we're in it together LOL....no idea though...I am assuming that there has not been a decision made on our applications yet 

9 minutes ago, krd_BME said:

At least we're in it together LOL....no idea though...I am assuming that there has not been a decision made on our applications yet 

LOL you are right, it is comforting to know I am not alone in this limbo. Yes, hopefully we both hear back good news soon for our patience 

10 minutes ago, BMEADC said:

LOL you are right, it is comforting to know I am not alone in this limbo. Yes, hopefully we both hear back good news soon for our patience 

Literally I am at work and check my emails every 5 minutes, then check my spam....I think I started checking my emails in my sleep at this point....and weekends...but I hope we hear soon! It seems as if since last week I have seen both rejections and acceptances so it should be soon :) 

5 hours ago, krd_BME said:

Literally I am at work and check my emails every 5 minutes, then check my spam....I think I started checking my emails in my sleep at this point....and weekends...but I hope we hear soon! It seems as if since last week I have seen both rejections and acceptances so it should be soon :) 

Lol I feel you, I have my moments too

On 2/26/2018 at 4:37 PM, katpillow said:

They've sent out some acceptances, but I know for a fact that they haven't sent them all out at once. Not very helpful, but hopefully you hear something good!

You were right! Got accepted on Thursday! 

Has anyone else had the odd experience of attending a "visit" or "preview" day, only to find out that some of the applicants in attendance were already accepted and for other applicants the day served as a formal interview day with admission offer still to be decided?  I want to say it is odd at best and unprofessional at worst.

Would anyone who attended a recruiting day at Duke be willing to share how it went? 

I was invited to Duke's March recruiting day (got an email earlier this week), but I have a conflict and can't make it. The professor who contacted me was nice enough to let me interview on a different day, however it will just be with the professor and the professor's grad students. 

I'm trying to get a feel of what I will be missing and I'm curious to hear what people thought of their recruiting day.  Did anything make you particularly excited about going there? Did anything make you have second thoughts?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, AppleCiderSmith said:

Would anyone who attended a recruiting day at Duke be willing to share how it went? 

I was invited to Duke's March recruiting day (got an email earlier this week), but I have a conflict and can't make it. The professor who contacted me was nice enough to let me interview on a different day, however it will just be with the professor and the professor's grad students. 

I'm trying to get a feel of what I will be missing and I'm curious to hear what people thought of their recruiting day.  Did anything make you particularly excited about going there? Did anything make you have second thoughts?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The interview day starts off with a night of food and drinks and just getting to meet the other applicants and current BME students. The next day is reserved for tours of campus and labs and interviews with grad students and professors, which depending on which lab you are interviewing for could be 7 hours of 5 hours total. That night, they have drinks and dinner again and you get to drink with all the people that you interviewed with. I think that the most exciting thing really was hearing all of the amazing benefits and awesome things there are at Duke. I really liked it, so I've already made my mind up that I will be attending there next year. Good luck!

Just got accepted to UCSD! I wish to specialize in tissue engineering and have now narrowed my options down to UCSD vs. University of Washington. Both the weathers in Seattle and San Diego are fine for me (as I'm accustomed to both types of weather). I really like the labs from both universities in terms of research interests and personality fit. UW seems to offer a better stipend than UCSD. So, I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go. Any suggestions from you guys are greatly appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...

@LonelyPoet1 - Thanks for the feedback! I had a good visit at Duke and I can see why you are so excited about the program. Unfortunately, I may be wait listed (though I don't think they officially tell you that) so I'm toning down my optimism.

Everyone Else - Most recruiting visits are over. Have you decided where you are going? If so, what attracted you most about the school?

2 hours ago, AppleCiderSmith said:

@LonelyPoet1 - Thanks for the feedback! I had a good visit at Duke and I can see why you are so excited about the program. Unfortunately, I may be wait listed (though I don't think they officially tell you that) so I'm toning down my optimism.

Everyone Else - Most recruiting visits are over. Have you decided where you are going? If so, what attracted you most about the school?

Just decided to join UCSD this fall! I hope that I've made the right decision. 

3 hours ago, AppleCiderSmith said:

Accepted an offer from MIT's HST program (which was my top choice from the beginning lol)!