Where is everyone applying?

Bubbles8697

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have applied to five schools already: Washington, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Indiana and Arizona. Have not heard from anyone.

I was thinking of applying to University of South Carolina and University of Hawaii-Manoa, any suggestions?

Hi Bubbles. Don't know much about the programs in Hawaii or SC.

Btw when did you apply to those schools? I have heard from Pitt and IU (both positive responses). I applied in early December and I got responses from those schools in late Dec/early January. I'm sure your responses will be on the way soon.

Btw when did you apply to those schools? I have heard from Pitt and IU (both positive responses). I applied in early December and I got responses from those schools in late Dec/early January. I'm sure your responses will be on the way soon.

That is great! Congratulations! I applied in January to most of these schools. I am hoping to hear back in march/april.

I was wondering if you would like to share what gpa, gre scores etc. If not I understand, I just would like to gauge where my application stands.

The only program I applied to was the MLIS program at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. I got all my stuff in before the Feb 1 deadline. On Tuesday I received an email stating that my application was complete and was being forwarded to the Admissions Committee and that I would have a decision by March 15. I hope I didn't make a mistake only applying to one program, but I didn't want to go anywhere else in the country and the two ALA accredited programs in NYC were too expensive. So here's hoping I get into Rutgers! Good luck to you all on your applications.

I applied to Pratt in November (early, I know) and heard from them this past weekend. Good luck with your applications.

That is good to know you got accepted somewhere. I am at the point where I could nee to get in somewhere. I happen to living at home currently, honestly it is not that bad except for that fact that my mom is crazy! So I feel as though I need know from at least one school so that I have some peace of mind.

I digress, what subject are you planning on getting your MA in?

The only program I applied to was the MLIS program at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. I got all my stuff in before the Feb 1 deadline. On Tuesday I received an email stating that my application was complete and was being forwarded to the Admissions Committee and that I would have a decision by March 15. I hope I didn't make a mistake only applying to one program, but I didn't want to go anywhere else in the country and the two ALA accredited programs in NYC were too expensive. So here's hoping I get into Rutgers! Good luck to you all on your applications.

I was going to apply to NJ because my boyfriend applied to grad school there. But I decided not to for some reason or another. I have not heard many other people applying to NJ based on my web search of forums.

Good luck!

I applied to six schools (master's):

• University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (accepted)
  • University of Texas at Austin (accepted)
  • Syracuse University (accepted)
  • University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • University of Washington at Seattle

Have yet to hear anything on funding from accepted schools and have yet to hear anything from the last three schools.

Has anyone heard anything on funding yet from any of their schools?

I applied to 4 schools

Arizona- MA School of information resources and library sciences - Distance Learning program- Accepted

Univ of Maryland- PhD - rejected

Univ of Michigan- PhD - still waiting

Syracuse - PhD - Was called to schedule an interview, interview was cancelled due to department conflict, waiting to reschedule. I am on the short list.

I was going to apply to NJ because my boyfriend applied to grad school there. But I decided not to for some reason or another. I have not heard many other people applying to NJ based on my web search of forums.

Good luck!

Thanks! Rutgers is a pretty good program from what I understand. Plus I was born, raised, and did my undergrad degree at a private university in NJ, so I have the benefit of getting state residency prices for tuition. Also, my boyfriend lives just outside the Bronx, NY, and may be doing his MAT at our alma mater, so I didn't want to move to, say, the Midwest and be so far from him. So I guess it's a win all around, provided I get accepted, that is. :)

That is good to know you got accepted somewhere. I am at the point where I could nee to get in somewhere. I happen to living at home currently, honestly it is not that bad except for that fact that my mom is crazy! So I feel as though I need know from at least one school so that I have some peace of mind.

I digress, what subject are you planning on getting your MA in?

I'm thinking of Archive and Record Management. I'm really new to the MLS thing though and am hoping that, if I end up going this route instead of the English PhD, that Pratt will help out with my undecidedness. I hope you hear soon!

Thanks! Rutgers is a pretty good program from what I understand. Plus I was born, raised, and did my undergrad degree at a private university in NJ, so I have the benefit of getting state residency prices for tuition. Also, my boyfriend lives just outside the Bronx, NY, and may be doing his MAT at our alma mater, so I didn't want to move to, say, the Midwest and be so far from him. So I guess it's a win all around, provided I get accepted, that is. :)

That is great! I don't know how many people feel this way but admission decisions can make or break some peoples lives. Granted that we are not in such a helpless state yet these decisions mean a lot!

IN-State tuition is plus! I emailed Rutgers today to see whether rolling admissions is a good option.

Edited by Bubbles8697

I applied to 4 schools

Arizona- MA School of information resources and library sciences - Distance Learning program- Accepted

Univ of Maryland- PhD - rejected

Univ of Michigan- PhD - still waiting

Syracuse - PhD - Was called to schedule an interview, interview was cancelled due to department conflict, waiting to reschedule. I am on the short list.

Hopefully, things will go your way. Good thing you have a back up plan!

What are you concentrating you phd in?

Edited by Bubbles8697

I applied to most of these schools a few days before the deadline. I did not realize that sending in an application a month earlier would translate into an early admission decision. So now I await impatiently for March/April to role by....

I just wonder if I should apply to three more schools in case I do not get into these five. I am going to positive! :)

Hopefully, things will go your way. Good thing you have a back up plan!

What are you concentrating you phd in?

Thanks. I received the invitation to set up a phone call interview for sometime in the next 2 weeks. I think it is vital to have a back-up plan. At least for me. I've seen too many candidates who are still working at bookstores because they didn't have a back-up plan. Wait....I work at a bookstore. :)

I am not completely sure what I want to concentrate on during my PhD research. I have a few ideas that I am keeping close to the vest until I get accepted. I hope that doesn't sound snooty, it should sound paranoid. I just want in first and then I am willing to share stuff. But I have ideas in human-computer interaction, digital libraries, and specialized on-line community sharing.

Has anybody heard anything from UIllinois yet? I know it's early but the results page shows somebody last year heard as early as Feb 27...so...just thought I'd ask!

I went down to U of I last weekend and they have not made any decisions yet. She said by mid March-April.

I've applied to Rutgers, Pratt Institute(sent in my app on 12/12), and Southern Connecticut State (accepted, no financial info). I'm holding off on sending in my Long Island University app since their deadline is in July, and I put together an app for CUNY Queens but I don't think I'm going to send it in. A $125 app fee is pretty steep and I was the least enthusiastic about their program. Since I've already gotten in elsewhere I just don't want to spend the money.

I went a little nuts the other day when I got a Rutgers email with the subject: "Your Current Rutgers MLIS Application Status" but it was just a notification that the app was going to the admissions committee. Seriously uncool. Sweet sweet instate tuition and best ranked program I'm applying to, I don't need the tease.

I've applied to Rutgers, Pratt Institute(sent in my app on 12/12), and Southern Connecticut State (accepted, no financial info). I'm holding off on sending in my Long Island University app since their deadline is in July, and I put together an app for CUNY Queens but I don't think I'm going to send it in. A $125 app fee is pretty steep and I was the least enthusiastic about their program. Since I've already gotten in elsewhere I just don't want to spend the money.

I went a little nuts the other day when I got a Rutgers email with the subject: "Your Current Rutgers MLIS Application Status" but it was just a notification that the app was going to the admissions committee. Seriously uncool. Sweet sweet instate tuition and best ranked program I'm applying to, I don't need the tease.

Stuff like that is not fun at all nor is it necessary. A simple email will suffice.

That fee is really expensive, I wonder why.

Just chatted with Washington a few days ago. 735 people applied there in which they which 75 students (both online and residence) will make up their 2010 class! They are going to be quite selective!

Yikes! That makes me feel a lot less optimistic.

Did anyone here apply to UNC? I've seen two acceptances (one via postal, one via e-mail) pop up on the results search, but I have yet to hear anything. Should I shoot them an e-mail or wait it out?

I just turned down UW PhD, so hopefully they'll be accepting someone else.

What sort of funding did UW offer? Where did you decide to go and in what program? Sorry for the interrogation, I've got my Syracuse phone interview next week and I am still waiting for Michigan.

OMG, I went through the exact same thing a week ago when I got that email! I almost had a heart attack, hahaha. I would love to get into Rutgers, not only because it is the only program I applied to, but also because I would possibly incur no living expenses since I could easily commute by train and live for free/cheap with my mom-- that's if I don't get sick of her and move out. ;) I looked at LIU and St. John's, but both were about double the cost of Rutgers. Unfortunately those are the only three universities in NJ/NYC that are ALA accredited for the MLIS (don't want the MLS, I think it'll be obsolete in 5-10 years anyway). Good luck!