Where is everyone applying?

Bubbles8697

OMG, I went through the exact same thing a week ago when I got that email! I almost had a heart attack, hahaha. I would love to get into Rutgers, not only because it is the only program I applied to, but also because I would possibly incur no living expenses since I could easily commute by train and live for free/cheap with my mom-- that's if I don't get sick of her and move out. ;) I looked at LIU and St. John's, but both were about double the cost of Rutgers. Unfortunately those are the only three universities in NJ/NYC that are ALA accredited for the MLIS (don't want the MLS, I think it'll be obsolete in 5-10 years anyway). Good luck!

Glad I wasn't alone on that one. I'm in the same boat with living with parents, I do have the option of moving in with my boyfriend where-ever I go, but I'm more comfortable having my parents support me than him. Plus, and I know this is silly, I really don't want to pump my own gas, I've done it and don't like it. I don't really want to go to Southern CT if I don't absolutely have to.

I got a mailing today for LIU's open house, apparently you can apply, be accepted and register all on the same day. That just seems so shady/way too easy to get into. Maybe I'm just being elitist and maybe I'll change my tune if I get rejected from Rutgers and Pratt. I just want to know already, March 15 isn't coming soon enough.

Edited by Phyl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I wasn't alone on that one. I'm in the same boat with living with parents, I do have the option of moving in with my boyfriend where-ever I go, but I'm more comfortable having my parents support me than him. Plus, and I know this is silly, I really don't want to pump my own gas, I've done it and don't like it. I don't really want to go to Southern CT if I don't absolutely have to.

I got a mailing today for LIU's open house, apparently you can apply, be accepted and register all on the same day. That just seems so shady/way too easy to get into. Maybe I'm just being elitist and maybe I'll change my tune if I get rejected from Rutgers and Pratt. I just want to know already, March 15 isn't coming soon enough.

I am also living with my parents but in my case my parents made me quit my job so I could be home with my lonely mom. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to come back...but now that I am, I really cannot wait to hear back from schools. I checked my email twenty times today knowing full well that decisions will not be in till Mid -March.

I am currently getting my old job back and I am soo excited to leave home!

Hahaha, I am totally with you on the gas thing! I have family in CT and when we travel there, having to pump gas is no fun. I could move in with my boyfriend, too, but he still lives with his parents and while I know they wouldn't mind having me live with them (we get along really well), the idea makes me uncomfortable.

LIU appeared to offer good internship/job opportunities for their students while in school, and they do have a duel degree MA program with NYU, but you're right, that does seem incredibly shady. I did like that they waived the GRE requirement if your undergrad GPA was above a 3.0, as mine was and my GRE scores weren't particularly strong. I guess maybe if I get rejected from Rutgers I'll look at LIU since their deadline is later. Here's hoping for an acceptance from Rutgers, haha.

Wait, so in New Jersey all the gas stations are full service? I'm pretty sure I've never had someone else pump gas for me before, only wash my windshield.

Yeah, it's illegal to pump your own gas anywhere in the state. There's only one other state that's the same Washington or Oregon I think. And since everyone seems to ask this, no you don't tip the people pumping your gas.

Are we all relatively young since we are living with our parents? From the open houses I've attended it seemed like library science was a lot returning students, people getting a second masters, long time teachers switching to school librarian. I graduated last spring, thought a gap year would be fun/help save up money/recharge the academic batteries. I'm certainly ready to get back into school, the other gap year ideas not so successful.

Are we all relatively young since we are living with our parents? From the open houses I've attended it seemed like library science was a lot returning students, people getting a second masters, long time teachers switching to school librarian. I graduated last spring, thought a gap year would be fun/help save up money/recharge the academic batteries. I'm certainly ready to get back into school, the other gap year ideas not so successful.

I am young, I just turned 22 in January and I finished my Bachelor's in December, a semester early. I have my diploma but will do the commencement ceremony in May... weird, I know. ;) But my work study job for the entirety of my undergrad was at the circulation desk of my university's library, and I was quite sad to have to leave that job. I liked it so much I want to make a career of it. :) Only I want to do cooler stuff like reference work.

Univ of Maryland emailed all applicants today to say that there were 800 applicants to the MLS program and that decisions would not be made until the end of March. Even with a 3.5 GPA and 1370 GRE (and with one master's degree already under my belt), I'm feeling very nervous. UMD is the only school I applied to and the only program that interests me.

Univ of Maryland emailed all applicants today to say that there were 800 applicants to the MLS program and that decisions would not be made until the end of March. Even with a 3.5 GPA and 1370 GRE (and with one master's degree already under my belt), I'm feeling very nervous. UMD is the only school I applied to and the only program that interests me.

I was admitted to UMD in the middle of January. However, for me they said that I had to make a decision about whether I would attend by March 1. I'm not sure why they would pull this move, since I still haven't heard from one school I applied to and have heard nothing on financing.

I liked UMD's program, but they lost a lot of respect from me with this ridiculous deadline.

I was admitted to UMD in the middle of January. However, for me they said that I had to make a decision about whether I would attend by March 1. I'm not sure why they would pull this move, since I still haven't heard from one school I applied to and have heard nothing on financing.

I liked UMD's program, but they lost a lot of respect from me with this ridiculous deadline.

I've heard other people say they've asked for deadline extensions (and most schools grant them)... since April 15 is the official courtesy date, or whatever. UT wants me to do something similar, so that's what I'm going to do. Just let them know I'm still weighing my options and waiting to hear back from a few schools, so I'd like more time to make an informed decision.

UNC mailed my decision on Monday, and I didn't receive it yesterday, so I'm guessing it'll be here either today or tomorrow.

I've heard other people say they've asked for deadline extensions (and most schools grant them)... since April 15 is the official courtesy date, or whatever. UT wants me to do something similar, so that's what I'm going to do. Just let them know I'm still weighing my options and waiting to hear back from a few schools, so I'd like more time to make an informed decision.

UNC mailed my decision on Monday, and I didn't receive it yesterday, so I'm guessing it'll be here either today or tomorrow.

I did ask for a deadline extension, and they told me that due to the large applicant pool this year the March 1 date was firm.

I did ask for a deadline extension, and they told me that due to the large applicant pool this year the March 1 date was firm.

Wow, okay... Nevermind then. That's kind of ridiculous imo, but whatever. I wouldn't accept either, unless they offered me some kind of funding.

I mean, I won't even hear back from two schools until mid-March early April.

Congrats. Did you apply to the distance learning program? If not, and you plan on spending summers in Tucson, be prepared for HOT.

Thank You In4mation :)

I applied to be on campus. I am really looking forward to visiting. I am worried about the heat but it just gives me another reason to wear cute sundresses. I see that you too have been accepted to Arizona. Online or residential? Do you plan on attending?

I am waiting on a few more schools before I can decid but Arizona is looking like it will be the winner.

Last question (I promise) have you lived in Tucson or are currently there?

Edited by Bubbles8697

Thank You In4mation :)

I applied to be on campus. I am really looking forward to visiting. I am worried about the heat but it just gives me another reason to wear cute sundresses. I see that you too have been accepted to Arizona. Online or residential? Do you plan on attending?

I am waiting on a few more schools before I can decid but Arizona is looking like it will be the winner.

Last question (I promise) have you lived in Tucson or are currently there?

Now is a great time to visit. Just remember to wear sunblock and have a car with good A/C. I am in Tempe (where ASU is located), but there is a similar climate. I was going to do the online program if I don't get into any of my PhD options. I'm still waiting to hear from UM and I have an interview with Syracuse tomorrow. I have been to Tucson several times. I would take a visit before you commit. It is much different from other cities. If you have any questions about Arizona I might be able to help. Good Luck

I heard back in the affirmative from U of Illinois today, and have now heard back from all the schools to which I've applied. Now I'm just hoping that one of them offers a nice financial package to make my decision easy.

Congrats! Same here! I think the U of I email says they want a response by April 15th...I hope I know the status of my funding at other places before then.

I got into Rutgers, and will be going! :D Good luck to everyone still waiting!

were you accepted to the online or the on campus program? The website still has me as a "no decision" and I am applying for online..

were you accepted to the online or the on campus program? The website still has me as a "no decision" and I am applying for online..

On campus

I got accepted to Arizona (MA SIRLS) as well! I grew up in Tucson and did undergrad at UA. In-state tuition is very enticing, but part of me wants to really expand my horizons.

Anyone have thoughts on UCLA???

Edited by radcradick