Hi guys, sorry if this question has been asked a million times and is a little dumb, but I worry about things and would really appreciate some insight.

I'm planning to ask teachers for LOR sometime in the next two weeks, and have (I'm hoping) two of my letters coming from faculty in my school's Speech Pathology department. However, I'm a little torn on who to ask for my third LOR. I took a lot of my classes with adjunct professors who have since moved on with their careers, or in one case retired. While I could ask them, I don't think they'd even really remember me much. As such, my options are a little limited and I'm torn between two people to ask.

My options for my third LOR are:

1) My advisor for my Spanish major, who I think would write me a strong LOR. I've had several classes with her and I've done well in them, and we've developed a good relationship outside of the classroom. While still able to attest to my academic strengths, I'm worried that the letter won't hold the same weight as letters from in-field faculty. However, I'm interested in working with multicultural/bilingual populations and feel like having some one who can talk about my Spanish abilities from first-hand experience could help me stand out.

2) A teacher I am currently taking a class with for the first time this semester. I feel like I'd only get a generic LOR, but she's at least in the Speech Path department? I also really enjoy her class, actively participate in discussion, activities, etc. which will maybe help me stand out to her by the time I need the letter. The class is my capstone and for part of it I get to be a clinical assistant in my school's speech clinic, so if I do well I feel like she'd be able to talk about my ability as a potential future clinician.

3) e-mailing one of the adjunct professors I've had and asking for a LOR. It'd definitely be a little generic but it'd also be in field.

Idk at this point if there's a "better" option, or if I'm just overthinking the entire thing. I apologize for how long this is lol. I'd really appreciate a fresh perspective on the issue!

I would go with the Spanish professor.  It's good to come across as a "well-round" person in other academic areas besides speech.  Always go with the person that can attest to more than just your in-classroom personality.

Honestly, I would ask both the Spanish professor and the CSD professor you are currently taking a class from for a LOR.  You never know if one professor might procrastinate too long (I had this happen and had to find a LOR writer at the last minute last year), or which letter would be better in the long run.  By the end of the semester, you'll probably have a much better report with the second professor and they'll be able to assess your most current work ethics.  Good luck! 

@SLPsingballs @Mary93 thank you both so much for the advice! I think I'm going to ask my Spanish prof first and ask my other professor if any of the other professors say no out right. I'm hoping since I'm asking pretty early that there won't be any problems with teachers not writing them, sounds like a nightmare! :wacko:

On 9/18/2017 at 8:44 PM, snoves said:

Hi guys, sorry if this question has been asked a million times and is a little dumb, but I worry about things and would really appreciate some insight.

I'm planning to ask teachers for LOR sometime in the next two weeks, and have (I'm hoping) two of my letters coming from faculty in my school's Speech Pathology department. However, I'm a little torn on who to ask for my third LOR. I took a lot of my classes with adjunct professors who have since moved on with their careers, or in one case retired. While I could ask them, I don't think they'd even really remember me much. As such, my options are a little limited and I'm torn between two people to ask.

My options for my third LOR are:

1) My advisor for my Spanish major, who I think would write me a strong LOR. I've had several classes with her and I've done well in them, and we've developed a good relationship outside of the classroom. While still able to attest to my academic strengths, I'm worried that the letter won't hold the same weight as letters from in-field faculty. However, I'm interested in working with multicultural/bilingual populations and feel like having some one who can talk about my Spanish abilities from first-hand experience could help me stand out.

2) A teacher I am currently taking a class with for the first time this semester. I feel like I'd only get a generic LOR, but she's at least in the Speech Path department? I also really enjoy her class, actively participate in discussion, activities, etc. which will maybe help me stand out to her by the time I need the letter. The class is my capstone and for part of it I get to be a clinical assistant in my school's speech clinic, so if I do well I feel like she'd be able to talk about my ability as a potential future clinician.

3) e-mailing one of the adjunct professors I've had and asking for a LOR. It'd definitely be a little generic but it'd also be in field.

Idk at this point if there's a "better" option, or if I'm just overthinking the entire thing. I apologize for how long this is lol. I'd really appreciate a fresh perspective on the issue!

Yeah the spanish professor would be able to reflect on your potential as a potential graduate student. I e-mailed three professors yesterday asking if they would be willing to write me a few LORs but have yet to hear from them. I'm hoping I hear back from them by the end of this week. Should that be an ample amount of time?

2 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

Yeah the spanish professor would be able to reflect on your potential as a potential graduate student. I e-mailed three professors yesterday asking if they would be willing to write me a few LORs but have yet to hear from them. I'm hoping I hear back from them by the end of this week. Should that be an ample amount of time?

I would wait until at least Tuesday of next week (giving them a full week to respond) before I started gently pestering them again. I'd expect them to get back to you pretty quick though!

20 hours ago, snoves said:

I would wait until at least Tuesday of next week (giving them a full week to respond) before I started gently pestering them again. I'd expect them to get back to you pretty quick though!

One did and declined my request. Just two left, but after asking on Facebook pages about people's experiences asking for LORs from ENMU professors, it is looking quite bleak. I am feeling forlorn as I am an online student and therefore ineligible for even a generic LOR :/

3 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

One did and declined my request. Just two left, but after asking on Facebook pages about people's experiences asking for LORs from ENMU professors, it is looking quite bleak. I am feeling forlorn as I am an online student and therefore ineligible for even a generic LOR :/

Man, that's such a big disappointment. I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with it...you could always go back to old professors from your bachelor's degree (if possible) or work advisers, I guess. While it's not ideal, at least you'll have letters! :unsure:

hi--best rule of thumb for LOR is at least 2 from your dept and the 3rd from either a clinician you have a history with or some other faculty member in another dept is fine. just make sure its positive.  usually the LOR isnt a deal breaker- unless its only so-so or negative. one other thing too- i'd get a 4th identified= just in case someone backs out, gets sick, or just doesnt do it. never hurts to have a back up. for more tips and advice- feel free to go to my website- www.slpgradschool.com

good luck- p