Submit 161V/149Q/4.5W OR 159V/147Q/5.5W?

mirrorofvenus

I’m applying to a mix of Ph.D. programs, about half of which are in Philosophy and the rest are in English/Literature. I imagine these programs will likely emphasize the Analytical Writing score more than other sections of the GRE, even though they will also expect a very good Verbal score. 

I took the GRE 4 years ago before applying to Master’s programs and received 161V/149Q/4.5AW. 

After retaking the GRE last month, I received 159V/147Q/5.5AW. (I'm quite devastated that a month of studying didn't improve my V & Q scores.)

I am tempted to submit the newest scores, as they will have a recent date and will demonstrate, along with my Writing Sample, the strength of my writing skills. However, I would be devastated if rejected from programs because the Verbal score from that retake is below 85th percentile. 

Which scores would you suggest I submit? Would it make sense in my case to submit both scores, or do you think that might hinder my chances?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mirrorofvenus, 

I have read that the Quant scores are not very important for Lit programs. But most of the programs suggest that accepted applications average in the 96th percentile for the Verbal section. I have also seen on here that "85th-90th percentiles are considered competitive". So maybe for the lit programs your original scores will be fine? 

As for the philosophy programs, the quant scores seem to matter much more. My wife's in a top program and they're constantly debating whether this is something that needs to change. It appears that most departments have the odd stickler for quant scores. But, as usual with this low yielding lottery that is application season, there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that begs to differ. I'd consider retaking the test if I were applying to phil programs, perhaps you can improve the verbal as well and bolster your app for literature programs. 

Good luck! 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:21 PM, mirrorofvenus said:

I’m applying to a mix of Ph.D. programs, about half of which are in Philosophy and the rest are in English/Literature. I imagine these programs will likely emphasize the Analytical Writing score more than other sections of the GRE, even though they will also expect a very good Verbal score. 

I took the GRE 4 years ago before applying to Master’s programs and received 161V/149Q/4.5AW. 

After retaking the GRE last month, I received 159V/147Q/5.5AW. (I'm quite devastated that a month of studying didn't improve my V & Q scores.)

I am tempted to submit the newest scores, as they will have a recent date and will demonstrate, along with my Writing Sample, the strength of my writing skills. However, I would be devastated if rejected from programs because the Verbal score from that retake is below 85th percentile. 

Which scores would you suggest I submit? Would it make sense in my case to submit both scores, or do you think that might hinder my chances?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I am an English PhD student. I don't know that I've seen any programs that actually list they want scores in the 96th percentile or higher as Lucky suggests. I have seen wordings to the effect that some universities indicate that many of their students have scored in the 90th percentile or above in verbals. As a result, I worked on exponentially increasing my verbal score over that 90th percentile and scored a 163 in the 93rd percentile. My quant. scores were similar to yours. I would use the scores with the verbal of 161, as that puts you in the 88th percentile, rather than 159 which is in the 83rd percentile. I took the GRE as an undergrad 3 years ago and applied to PhD programs in the second year of an English master's degree (last year). I don't think adcoms give any more credence to the AW than the verbal, because they will have a WS in front of them that wasn't written on some oddball topic in 30 minutes, but is rather an argument with research. I don't know whether sending all of your scores will be of help or hindrance. Make sure your WS and SOP have been vetted by at least 3 professors, preferably your recommenders.