Hello all! Here's the deal: I graduate from the University of Montevallo in May 2018. I'm the former secretary and current VP of NSSLHA. I've done qualitative research in the area of aphasia as primary investigator, and am positive I will be able to get above average recommendation letters from professors. BUT, my GPA is on the low end. I took dual enrollment classes in high school and ended up with several B's and a couple of C's. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then, and of course had no idea how competitive SLP programs are. Assuming I get all A's this fall, my GPA will end up being a 3.56. My current GRE score is 294 and 3.5 writing. I'm retaking it in the beginning of November. I'm applying to severallllll schools in the southeast. My top choices are University of Tennessee, University of Memphis, East Tennessee State University and the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (long shot, I know, but many of their faculty have done research in aphasia and I thought I might have a chance considering my background.)

What kind of chances do I have? Any advice as far as personal statements,  recommendation letters, etc would be much appreciated!

2 hours ago, mhilley1996 said:

Hello all! Here's the deal: I graduate from the University of Montevallo in May 2018. I'm the former secretary and current VP of NSSLHA. I've done qualitative research in the area of aphasia as primary investigator, and am positive I will be able to get above average recommendation letters from professors. BUT, my GPA is on the low end. I took dual enrollment classes in high school and ended up with several B's and a couple of C's. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then, and of course had no idea how competitive SLP programs are. Assuming I get all A's this fall, my GPA will end up being a 3.56. My current GRE score is 294 and 3.5 writing. I'm retaking it in the beginning of November. I'm applying to severallllll schools in the southeast. My top choices are University of Tennessee, University of Memphis, East Tennessee State University and the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (long shot, I know, but many of their faculty have done research in aphasia and I thought I might have a chance considering my background.)

What kind of chances do I have? Any advice as far as personal statements,  recommendation letters, etc would be much appreciated!

what is your current GPA? And what is your GRE scores in regards to quant and verbal (SLP probably focuses more on the verbal than the quant). I'm afraid I'm not in SLP (there is actually a forum board for SLP applications), but I can give you probably just a general overview

40 minutes ago, samman1994 said:

what is your current GPA? And what is your GRE scores in regards to quant and verbal (SLP probably focuses more on the verbal than the quant). I'm afraid I'm not in SLP (there is actually a forum board for SLP applications), but I can give you probably just a general overview

I actually was mistaken and I made a 298, 144 quant and 154 verbal and my current GPA is 3.49. Thanks for the help!

The GPA looks nice, but the GRE scores are both a bit low. You can also look online (or email them) about the average scores the school accepts into their SLP program. This doesn't mean your application is doomed or don't apply, just that the its main weakness is the GRE and not the GPA. If you're able to bring both scores up (somewhere in the high 50s), you should be fine.