LOR questions

I'm applying to the Fall of 2018 cycle, I previously applied for graduate school and haven't gotten in yet (*fingers crossed this is the year*). I wanted to know if anyone had any experience getting LOR's from professors that are not from the Speech department? Or for reapplicants have you asked the same professors you asked from previous cycles or asked new professors? Thanks! 

It took me three different application cycles to get into grad school. From the first year to second year applying to grad school I dropped one of my professors for a professor that knew me better and had me for two classes. From the second year applying to the third I also added on one of my bosses from job on campus. I went from the standard 2-3 letters of recommendations to 4 letters of recommendations. 2 from speech department that knew me well and 2 of my bosses from separate jobs that could attest to my character. Having all these people in my corner I think really helped my chances plus most people don't do this many letters of recommendation which I think helped. You just want people that know you well and can test to your character, work habits, personality and potential. Schools reviewing your letters of recommendation can tell if a recommender doesn't know you well. Comes off as less genuine. 

On 9/28/2017 at 3:11 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

It took me three different application cycles to get into grad school. From the first year to second year applying to grad school I dropped one of my professors for a professor that knew me better and had me for two classes. From the second year applying to the third I also added on one of my bosses from job on campus. I went from the standard 2-3 letters of recommendations to 4 letters of recommendations. 2 from speech department that knew me well and 2 of my bosses from separate jobs that could attest to my character. Having all these people in my corner I think really helped my chances plus most people don't do this many letters of recommendation which I think helped. You just want people that know you well and can test to your character, work habits, personality and potential. Schools reviewing your letters of recommendation can tell if a recommender doesn't know you well. Comes off as less genuine. 

Thank you that helps a lot I was actually thinking of including 4 letters of recommendations but wasn't sure it was too much, but I'm glad you had a good experience with that! Thanks! 

On 9/23/2017 at 3:52 PM, slpgirl898 said:

I'm applying to the Fall of 2018 cycle, I previously applied for graduate school and haven't gotten in yet (*fingers crossed this is the year*). I wanted to know if anyone had any experience getting LOR's from professors that are not from the Speech department? Or for reapplicants have you asked the same professors you asked from previous cycles or asked new professors? Thanks! 

Did you send your letter writers a rough draft of your SOP? I feel embarrassed to do so since it's quite rudimentary, but I have to send her something lol.

4 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

Did you send your letter writers a rough draft of your SOP? I feel embarrassed to do so since it's quite rudimentary, but I have to send her something lol.

Yea, I'm sending all my recommenders a rough draft of my SOP and my resume. One of my recommenders asked to be sent a specific set of things like Speech GPA, resume, SOP, and list of schools and dates. 

On 9/30/2017 at 8:40 AM, slpgirl898 said:

Thank you that helps a lot I was actually thinking of including 4 letters of recommendations but wasn't sure it was too much, but I'm glad you had a good experience with that! Thanks! 

I don't think its too much at all! I mean you gotta do what you gotta do right?! I say if you know of 4 people to write you letters go for it!