Profile Evaluation for PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics

ladybombayas

Hello,

I am an international student but currently staying in the USA. I pursued my Masters Program here in USA. I am in the process of applying for a PhD program in Statistics or BioStatistics. 

Undergrad Institution:  International University (Outside USA)
Major(s): Economics and Mathematics
GPA: 3.57

Grad Institution: US University
Major(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.8

GRE General Test:
Q: 157 
V: 139 
W: 3.5

Program Applying: PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics

Research Experience: None
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: TA Assistantship for Master's Program
Courses at Grad Level: Partial Differential Equations (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Advanced Differential Equations (A), Combinatorics and Graph Theory (B), Theory of Statistics (A), Introduction to Numerical Analysis (A), Analysis I&II (A-), Applied Statistics (A), Statistical Computing (B+), Discrete Modeling and Optimization (A), Actuarial Science (A), Complex Analysis (A-), Experimental Design (A), 
Assistant : Teaching Assistant for two years
Letters of Recommendation: 
-Assistant Professor in Statistics (Strong)
-Professor in Applied Mathematics (Strong)
-Associate Professor in Mathematics (Strong)

I am aware that my GRE score isn't the best and I have no research experience (but let's overlook that). I am interested in universities based in Atlanta Georgia. Based on my profile, what are my chances of getting admission into the following universities? I need your suggestions and advice. Thank you.

Schools:
University of Georgia (PhD in Statistics)
Georgia State University (PhD in Biostatistics)
Augusta University (PhD in Biostatistics)

• ladybombayas changed the title to Profile Evaluation for PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics

GRE is a filter and 157 on quantitative is a red flag given your math background. Also your verbal will cause concerns about your ability to communicate in English. I strongly suggest you retaking the test and shoot for at least 90th percentile for quantitative and 70th percentile for verbal. You have good grades in math courses and you may aim higher (top 20) if you see significant improvement on the GRE. Otherwise, your chances are not even high in lower ranked schools.

Edited by statfan

I would agree with statfan that the GRE could be a difficulty, but I think if you retake you should be able to overcome. Statistics/Biostatistics admissions are much more competitive for international students than for Americans, so I think retaking is your best option at this point. Many students do not have research experience so this will probably not exclude you, but it may be helpful to look into some research options.

I am somewhat familiar with the faculty at UGA, and I think you would have extreme difficulty there. I'm not too familiar with Augusta or Georgia State, but I would assume the chances there (and at most statistics programs I have reviewed in the past, to be honest) would be slim as well. Your GRE score is just too low to be commensurate with your relative success in undergraduate and graduate work.

That said, I think if you improve your Q to around a 165+ and verbal to 150+, your chances increase immensely at those latter two schools.

• 4 months later...