Columbia MSW Applicants (Fall 2018)

JonoDuncan

2 hours ago, KCR said:

Have you heard back from the director of admissions from Columbia? 

I did (not too helpful though). He responded on Tuesday and told me I would know my decision in the next two weeks. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's good news! 

10 hours ago, Rockybaby said:

I did (not too helpful though). He responded on Tuesday and told me I would know my decision in the next two weeks. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's good news! 

That's good! When did you apply?  And are you advanced standing or traditional two year? 

Edited by JonoDuncan

On 1/25/2018 at 12:33 AM, JonoDuncan said:

I am an advanced standing candidate! I'm hopeful to enroll in the policy track. 

That's great!! I'm glad to hear that. :) Do you mind sharing your stats?

2 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

That's great!! I'm glad to hear that. :) Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure! 

Graduated in 2016 with 3.75 cumulative GPA, Phi Alpha Social Work Society member, 

2.5 years experience as a non-profit case manager specializing in homelessness, severe mental illness, and substance abuse. Plus sat on additional local planning committees. 1+ year experience as an inpatient mental health technician at the regional hospital.

LORs from my two different bosses and field instructor. 

Volunteer community group leader for two years and listed all my mandatory service learning hours for my BSW as volunteer experience. 

17 hours ago, Rockybaby said:

I’m a traditional two year applicant and I sent my application in on November 8th!

I emailed the office on Friday to check in and the lady who emailed me back said to expect a decision early February. 

In years past, traditional two year students have heard before advanced standing students. So I was just wondering! 

14 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

I emailed the office on Friday to check in and the lady who emailed me back said to expect a decision early February. 

In years past, traditional two year students have heard before advanced standing students. So I was just wondering! 

That’s good to know, thank you!!

On 1/25/2018 at 12:33 AM, JonoDuncan said:

I am an advanced standing candidate! I'm hopeful to enroll in the policy track. 

I'm happy to hear that! How many candidates do you think were interested in the ASP anyway? Most of these applicants sound like they applied to the 2 year program. Also, have you heard of people being denied from NYU? Their acceptance rate seems high as well as their willingness to give aid. GOOD STUFF!!!

You have amazing stats btw. You should get into Columbia no problem.

Edited by Kat_MSW2018

2 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

I'm happy to hear that! How many candidates do you think were interested in the ASP anyway? Most of these applicants sound like they applied to the 2 year program. Also, have you heard of people being denied from NYU? Their acceptance rate seems high as well as their willingness to give aid. GOOD STUFF!!!

You have amazing stats btw. You should get into Columbia no problem.

Thank you! I am hopeful! 

I think the majority of their students are traditional two year. A good friend of mine is at Columbia now doing ASP. I forget what she said about the size of her cohort. 

20 minutes ago, KCR said:

I reached out to NYU admissions and they extended my decision to March 1st! Keeping my fingers crossed we hear tomorrow from Columbia, the anticipating is killllinnnggg me 

That’s awesome! I’m glad it worked out with you for NYU :). I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we hear from Columbia tomorrow too 

1 hour ago, KCR said:

I reached out to NYU admissions and they extended my decision to March 1st! Keeping my fingers crossed we hear tomorrow from Columbia, the anticipating is killllinnnggg me 

I emailed NYU and requested an extension through the end of March and they gave it to me. I think they are flexible but you have to be specific about what you want or they will give you the standard extension. This was my second extension they gave me. I asked for the end of March because in years past, Columbia hasn't released any financial aid packages until March. Hopefully that is different this year! 

On 30/1/2018 at 12:02 AM, JonoDuncan said:

Thank you! I am hopeful! 

I think the majority of their students are traditional two year. A good friend of mine is at Columbia now doing ASP. I forget what she said about the size of her cohort. 

You’re welcome!!! 

Yeah they are!!!! Do you think you could ask? Lol I’m anxious! Is it harder to get into from her experience???

7 hours ago, Rockybaby said:

That’s awesome! I’m glad it worked out with you for NYU :). I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we hear from Columbia tomorrow too 

Who said we’d hear back from Columbia tomorrow?!?! Sorry to butt in haha.

1 hour ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

You’re welcome!!! 

Yeah they are!!!! Do you think you could ask? Lol I’m anxious! Is it harder to get into from her experience???

Harder to get into Advanced Standing than two year? 

14 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

Harder to get into Advanced Standing than two year? 

Yeah! Like I know it’s a smaller cohort and it’s limited to us BSWs but does she know if how many they let in compared to applied?

6 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Who said we’d hear back from Columbia tomorrow?!?! Sorry to butt in haha.

According to admissions, decisions will be going out starting February 1st. I’m not sure if they’re actually coming out today, but I think any time between now and next week (because that seems to be the time frame I got when I called), is fair game ?

5 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Yeah! Like I know it’s a smaller cohort and it’s limited to us BSWs but does she know if how many they let in compared to applied?

I attended one of the summer information sessions and asked a similar question. If I remember correctly, there aren't less advanced standing students because it is capped. They just see a lot more two year students applying from different backgrounds. I do remember the advisor saying that with advanced standing students in particular, they are looking for students who have a good sense of what they want to do with their degree. Since you are jumping straight into year two of the program, they are looking for students who have a clear direction. 

2 hours ago, Rockybaby said:

According to admissions, decisions will be going out starting February 1st. I’m not sure if they’re actually coming out today, but I think any time between now and next week (because that seems to be the time frame I got when I called), is fair game ?

Well hope you’re right!! PSA: if anyone gets a decision today, pls post!!!!

1 hour ago, JonoDuncan said:

I attended one of the summer information sessions and asked a similar question. If I remember correctly, there aren't less advanced standing students because it is capped. They just see a lot more two year students applying from different backgrounds. I do remember the advisor saying that with advanced standing students in particular, they are looking for students who have a good sense of what they want to do with their degree. Since you are jumping straight into year two of the program, they are looking for students who have a clear direction. 

Right!!!! I figured!!! I was pretty clear about what I want to do ? hopefully not redundant. 

I’m truly wishing us the best! I hope to meet you there this summer!!!

3 hours ago, Justsomename said:

Does anyone know when everyone is supposed have their decisions by? I’ve heard they were supposed to start “beginning of February” but has anyone heard when they plan to have all final decisions by?

I don’t know when everyone is supposed to have their decisions...all I know is that when I called admissions on January 19th, the woman I spoke with said decisions would be out in about 3 weeks; the director told me on the 23rd that I would know my decision in the next two weeks; and, whoever I spoke with in admissions yesterday said something about next week or possibly the week after that. I realize that’s vague, so sorry :/