Columbia MSW Applicants (Fall 2018)

JonoDuncan

37 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

They are still working and sending emails. I haven’t heard back either.. when did you apply?

I applied for concentration on child, youth, and family on 12/1 but completed on 1/30 because I hadn't submitted my transcript by mistake. I also applied to NYU yesterday!

How about you?

24 minutes ago, APARK said:

I applied for concentration on child, youth, and family on 12/1 but completed on 1/30 because I hadn't submitted my transcript by mistake. I also applied to NYU yesterday!

How about you?

Ahhh!!! They are going by when you were completely finished huh :( I didn’t have my field eval in until 12/8. I have been admitted to NYU and I’m most likely attending, depending on Columbia’s decision.

20 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Ahhh!!! They are going by when you were completely finished huh :( I didn’t have my field eval in until 12/8. I have been admitted to NYU and I’m most likely attending, depending on Columbia’s decision.

I got an email at the start of the week saying my application was being reviewed and I applied 2/15 but for the Reduced residency route. Hopefully, you will hear back soon given they got to my application now... but who knows how their system works.

4 hours ago, Holli82 said:

I got an email at the start of the week saying my application was being reviewed and I applied 2/15 but for the Reduced residency route. Hopefully, you will hear back soon given they got to my application now... but who knows how their system works.

They seem to be going through that program's applicants faster. I heard they had a lot of advanced standing candidates and someone that applied 11/30 (Advanced Standing) is still is waiting so I am waiting for them to hear back because I'll hopefully be soon after lol

Hi everyone! I did not go on this forum due to not applying to Columbia for the fall, but did get accepted to Fordham University and see a bunch of you all have been talking about there! Has anyone decided to attend Fordham this Fall or thinking about it? I was accepted but unsure if I want to attend. I would like to know one person maybe!

10 hours ago, breannmarie said:

Hi everyone! I did not go on this forum due to not applying to Columbia for the fall, but did get accepted to Fordham University and see a bunch of you all have been talking about there! Has anyone decided to attend Fordham this Fall or thinking about it? I was accepted but unsure if I want to attend. I would like to know one person maybe!

Hey, @Chebrutta made a thread about this over in the Social Work forum!

Hi everyone! I just got my acceptance letter from Columbia for their Social Work program (advanced standing Clinical track). Feeling very humbled. I've already accepted admission into Boston College, though, because they offered me a scholarship and it seems like a better option overall from a financial perspective.

I applied to their advanced standing program on November 18th and JUST heard back. It shows me that if anyone is really worried about the fact that they haven't heard back, don't lose hope.

2 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Hi all, I just got accepted as well. I applied 11/30 for Advanced standing clinical track. I already committed to NYU due to a large scholarship and just overall smarter financial decision. 

Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck to you!!

4 hours ago, Lo-Waldo11 said:

Hi everyone! I just got my acceptance letter from Columbia for their Social Work program (advanced standing Clinical track). Feeling very humbled. I've already accepted admission into Boston College, though, because they offered me a scholarship and it seems like a better option overall from a financial perspective.

I applied to their advanced standing program on November 18th and JUST heard back. It shows me that if anyone is really worried about the fact that they haven't heard back, don't lose hope.

Congratulations!!!

Quick question to admitted Columbia students.! For those who have received their financial packages, do you mind sharing what you received? Specifically for advanced standing applicants. If you don’t mind sharing of course!  If you would rather PM me, you are more than welcome to. Just trying to see what they are willing to give.

Got my acceptance letter today around 5:50pm!! I applied to the traditional 2 year track for Social Enterprise Administration.

I submitted my application on 2/14/18 (yes, the day before the deadline). Good luck everyone!!! Can’t wait to start in the fall!

Edited by MSW_2018_app

1 hour ago, MSW_2018_app said:

Got my acceptance letter today around 5:50pm!! I applied to the traditional 2 year track for Social Enterprise Administration.

I submitted my application on 2/14/18 (yes, the day before the deadline). Good luck everyone!!! Can’t wait to start in the fall!

Congratulations!!

I was accepted! 

I applied on 2/13 to the advanced standing program, policy track (contemporary social issues as my field of practice). They emailed me today at 5:17 pm.  

Some stats for those who find it helpful: My cumulative GPA was 3.33 but my social work GPA was much higher probably around 3.8 though I'm not sure. I never got less than an A- in any of my social work classes. I went to NYU for my BSW. I held a variety of internships as an undergrad in the legal field. I also volunteered at a few different places which included working with holocaust survivors, youth and teaching a class for people who are incarcerated. I also always had at least two paying jobs at the same time (not including internships) while in undergrad to pay my bills and tuition.

I've been working at a public defender's office in NYC as a paralegal since graduating undergrad in 2015 and am now in a supervisory role there. I also work part time on the weekends with a youth soccer organization in E. Harlem as a youth advocate. After graduation I also started volunteering at an organization that assists people with their parole hearings in NY state.

I was open about being interested in going to law school in the future throughout my application in addition to discussing the many "adversities" I've been through in my life. I put that word in quotes because I think it's a silly way to describe obstacles folks have had to overcome but whatever. No one has really been talking about diversity here, at least from what I've seen, but I'll add that I'm a native Spanish speaker, I identify as Latina, my mom is from  the South Bronx and my dad grew up in Mexico. I wonder what, if any, bearing the admissions committee has been putting on creating diversity in their incoming class. I would hope they've been  intentional on that front! 

Anyway..... I also applied to NYU and Hunter but haven't heard back from them and am 99% certain I'm going to accept Columbia's offer.

Lmk if you have questions. 

On 3/12/2018 at 11:25 AM, boyers2 said:

I also want to pursue the macro track. Like you, I want to create change within the current systems and policies and I hope to do that through advocacy work in a nonprofit. I hope everything works out with your green card. I don't think you'll be able to apply for FASFA without a green card, but hopefully schools will give you nice financial packages. Unfortunately only citizens are eligible for government financial aid.

@boyers2 @SSocial Did either of you plan on attending Fordham in the fall?

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Was wondering if anyone here applied to Columbia's MSW program. If so, would anyone be willing to share what the instructions or questions were for recommenders regarding the letter of recommendation? Not sure if instructions for recommenders change year to year, but I think it's consistent year to year. I want to give my recommenders a head start and give them enough time to write a letter of recommendation. I just need to tell them what they need to write about. Many thanks!

-BSWTOMSW2020