Columbia MSW Applicants (Fall 2018)

JonoDuncan

1 hour ago, Holli82 said:

Hey all

Has anyone else applied for work-study/residency? I submitted my application on Feb 15th and am still waiting to hear.

Submitting to NYU and Hunter this week.

Not sure what you mean - was that separate from the regular application? I applied for the 2 year residential clinical track on 2/15 as well. There are people who applied in November who are still waiting to hear back, though.

My friend is in the reduced residency program and loves it. I would've loved to be in that program!!! What a deal! But you have to be working full time in an approved non for profit. And im a counselor in a state facility! Good luck!!

19 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Not sure what you mean - was that separate from the regular application? I applied for the 2 year residential clinical track on 2/15 as well. There are people who applied in November who are still waiting to hear back, though.

The person below explained it correctly. I work for a non-profit in a social work role and the deal is that my agency would provide a work placement for me in return for a big fee reduction. I really couldn't do it any other way. thanks for responding.

2 hours ago, MSW2018?? said:

My friend is in the reduced residency program and loves it. I would've loved to be in that program!!! What a deal! But you have to be working full time in an approved non for profit. And im a counselor in a state facility! Good luck!!

That's good to hear! I can't afford to do this any other way, so I have applied to do this at 4 schools. thanks for responding

4 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

The person below explained it correctly. I work for a non-profit in a social work role and the deal is that my agency would provide a work placement for me in return for a big fee reduction. I really couldn't do it any other way. thanks for responding.

Oh, I understand! There is someone who was accepted to the reduced residency program on the other Columbia thread, but I think they applied by the priority deadline of December 1st? Not sure, would have to check on that.

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

I checked and @SSocial applied on 1/20 and heard back on 2/16 for the reduced residency program. So I wouldn't worry just yet; they probably haven't gotten to your app because they had a lot of priority applicants.

Thank you for doing that. Ok I will sit tight!

9 hours ago, Holli82 said:

9 hours ago, Holli82 said:

That's good to hear! I can't afford to do this any other way, so I have applied to do this at 4 schools. thanks for responding

Hi!

As mentioned above I applied for the reduced residency program and was accepted at Columbia. I also applied for the reduced residency program at NYU, Fordham and Hunter for all concentration in Mental health.  If you don't mind me asking, What schools did you applied to? and also to what concentration ? Currently, I been accepted to NYU, Columbia, and Fordham. I received an email from Hunter stating my application will be reviewed by the ending of March/ early April. :( 

I hope all is going well for you! 

13 hours ago, SSocial said:

Hi!

As mentioned above I applied for the reduced residency program and was accepted at Columbia. I also applied for the reduced residency program at NYU, Fordham and Hunter for all concentration in Mental health.  If you don't mind me asking, What schools did you applied to? and also to what concentration ? Currently, I been accepted to NYU, Columbia, and Fordham. I received an email from Hunter stating my application will be reviewed by the ending of March/ early April. :( 

I hope all is going well for you! 

Hi!

That's amazing that you got into all those schools! Congrats! What agency/organization are you working for? I applied to the same schools as you, I got accepted to Fordham. I'm already taking classes there as a non-matric. and I really like it there. I haven't actually submitted for Hunter and NYU yet. Hunter is crazy hard to get into but I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us. My concentration is disability/MH, I'm so torn between clinical and macro practice!

Right now I'm more nervous about my green card situation!

Thanks for your message :)

6 hours ago, Holli82 said:

Hi!

That's amazing that you got into all those schools! Congrats! What agency/organization are you working for? I applied to the same schools as you, I got accepted to Fordham. I'm already taking classes there as a non-matric. and I really like it there. I haven't actually submitted for Hunter and NYU yet. Hunter is crazy hard to get into but I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us. My concentration is disability/MH, I'm so torn between clinical and macro practice!

Right now I'm more nervous about my green card situation!

Thanks for your message :)

Thank you! Congrats on getting accepted to Fordham! I heard Fordham social work is a really good program. So far Fordham offered me the most financial aid. I will be attending the  dinner on 3/14 to learn more about the school.  Will you be attending the reception?  It sucks that Hunter sends out late acceptance. I applied for the DOHMH  scholarship with Hunter and they said only  20 candidates will be accepted for the scholarship, so I'm really praying that I'm one of them! Did you applied for the scholarship? I work in a (NYC) non profit agency on a multi-disciplinary team providing treatment and rehabilitation services to younger and older adults with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders. I’ve been doing clinical (direct services) for the past  4 years, so that is the only area of social work  that I’m familiar with,  however I really want to know more about the macro practice, so I will probably take my elective courses in that area (if the school allows me to). It sucks about your green card! I hope everything get fix so you can attend school in the fall!!

Edited by SSocial

15 hours ago, SSocial said:

Thank you! Congrats on getting accepted to Fordham! I heard Fordham social work is a really good program. So far Fordham offered me the most financial aid. I will be attending the  dinner on 3/14 to learn more about the school.  Will you be attending the reception?  It sucks that Hunter sends out late acceptance. I applied for the DOHMH  scholarship with Hunter and they said only  20 candidates will be accepted for the scholarship, so I'm really praying that I'm one of them! Did you applied for the scholarship? I work in a (NYC) non profit agency on a multi-disciplinary team providing treatment and rehabilitation services to younger and older adults with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders. I’ve been doing clinical (direct services) for the past  4 years, so that is the only area of social work  that I’m familiar with,  however I really want to know more about the macro practice, so I will probably take my elective courses in that area (if the school allows me to). It sucks about your green card! I hope everything get fix so you can attend school in the fall!!

I will be going to the dinner at Fordham as well! See you there!

On 3/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, SSocial said:

Yeah I really like Fordham. I wish I could attend on 14th but I'm in Austin, Texas all week for SXSW. Hunter is hugely competative because of the price. I don't think you have any problems getting a place there given you got into all the other schools. I didn't apply for the Hunter scholarship, literally just submitted the application. Good luck though! 

I feel like the longer I work as a direct service provider the more I want to change about systems and policies. I'll probably end up on a macro track.

Green card is out of my hands. I just heard I might be able to matriculate part-time on my h1b! Although I don't think I can apply for financial aid without the green card.

8 hours ago, Holli82 said:

Yeah I really like Fordham. I wish I could attend on 14th but I'm in Austin, Texas all week for SXSW. Hunter is hugely competative because of the price. I don't think you have any problems getting a place there given you got into all the other schools. I didn't apply for the Hunter scholarship, literally just submitted the application. Good luck though! 

I feel like the longer I work as a direct service provider the more I want to change about systems and policies. I'll probably end up on a macro track.

Green card is out of my hands. I just heard I might be able to matriculate part-time on my h1b! Although I don't think I can apply for financial aid without the green card.

I also want to pursue the macro track. Like you, I want to create change within the current systems and policies and I hope to do that through advocacy work in a nonprofit. I hope everything works out with your green card. I don't think you'll be able to apply for FASFA without a green card, but hopefully schools will give you nice financial packages. Unfortunately only citizens are eligible for government financial aid.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:35 AM, JonoDuncan said:

Hello Columbia hopefuls!

As I was researching information about Columbia's MSW program several months ago, I came across a tread on this site for applicants for Columbia's Fall 2017 cohort. Applicants used the forum to offer encouragement and guidance through the application process, as well as provide updates about acceptance, financial aid, stats, and other things. It looked like it was tremendously helpful for them to have a community alongside them in the process (especially in the dreadful wait to hear back about acceptance). So I wanted to create an open thread for those applying to Columbia's Fall 2018 MSW cohort. Use this thread for questions about the application, updates about acceptance, and anything else related to the application season for Columbia Fall 2018. 

I look forward to hearing from others who are hopeful to attend Columbia for their graduate school and hope to see some of you in the fall! 

Hi Jono

I was just wondering what made you chose to attend Columbia over other schools? :)

1 hour ago, TariSafarii said:

Did anyone get their financial aid today? Idk what it means??? 

I got an email saying they didn't receive my FAFSA? I gave them my information and they said they would find it and send me my letter by early next week at the latest.

What does yours look like?

I haven't heard from Columbia yet. Does it mean I am rejected? :( I thought it's a spring break, so they don't sent the email.. but I guess not. 

2 hours ago, APARK said:

I haven't heard from Columbia yet. Does it mean I am rejected? :( I thought it's a spring break, so they don't sent the email.. but I guess not. 

They are still working and sending emails. I haven’t heard back either.. when did you apply?