Which schools automatically consider rejected/waitlisted PhD applications for their Master's programs?

Shreyansh

Question

Hi, I'll complete my Master's in the upcoming summer and plan to apply for MS/PhD for Fall 2018.

Just had a doubt . Are there any schools, specifically in the domain of engineering, which consider rejected or waitlisted candidates automatically for an admission to their Master's programme without having to re-apply?

Also, if true, are such applicants treated any differently or evaluated on different criteria than those applying for a regualar Master's degree?

Shreyansh

3 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, Shreyansh said:

Hi  _kita, thanks for your response.

In that case, would I be any different from the regular applicants, because by the time the PhD results are out, the Master's application process would be well underway, if not already completed? Wouldn't these schools already have decided on their planned intake from the direct applicants? 

This is very school specific. A lot of American universities have December 15th/January 1st PhD deadlines and then February/March masters deadlines. That makes it easier to review the PhD candidates first, and then move onto the masters candidates. If the school has December 15th for both, it would be trickier for them.

I had one school that was well into their masters review when I heard back from them about the PhD (Johns Hopkins). They called me up and said, "sorry, our PhD is full. You weren't selected because you need more experience, but we love your application. Would you be interested in the masters? no promises, but it lines you up better for the PhD next year." I said yes. They immediately replied, "congrats, you're accepted into the masters."

Hi  _kita, thanks for your response.

In that case, would I be any different from the regular applicants, because by the time the PhD results are out, the Master's application process would be well underway, if not already completed? Wouldn't these schools already have decided on their planned intake from the direct applicants?