Seeking Advice About Public Policy Grad Schools

ILAR

This is my first time posting so here it goes:

I'm hoping to apply to graduate school next cycle (2018, entering fall 2019) and I've started the process of looking at graduate schools for public policy. This will be my second year of working since undergraduate, and I think after three years of solid work, I'll be ready to take the next step. My GPA in undergrad over all was a 3.64 and I graduated with distinction. My degree was an Interdisciplinary program involving Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Some of my coursework involved calculus, statistics, research methods, and advanced microeconomics. I have not taken the GRE yet, but I intend to in the spring or summer of 2018.

I worked for a disability protection and advocacy group my entire senior year of college, and now I currently work for a non-profit research group focusing on public health issues. I know that healthcare policy is my area of interest, with particular focus in areas such as Medicaid, rural health systems/access, and mental health treatment. I do have other tangential interests, such as juvenile justice and opioid addiction, but they are not my primary areas of focus at work.

When I've evaluated schools, I have looked at general requirements, the type of jobs that graduates get, and the centers offered by the program. Additionally I look at the price and funding opportunities, along with the location. I'll be honest, I've moved around in my life, so the idea of finding a school and staying in that state (or at least in the region) is very appealing to me. Being a native of the Midwest and then attending school in the South, I have a certain proclivity to those areas, though I currently live in DC (I wouldn't want to attend school here though).

Some schools that have caught my eye are the following:

1. University of Minnesota (Humphrey)

2. University of Wisconsin (LaFollette)

3. Duke (Sanford)

4. Carnegie Mellon (Heinz)

5. Georgia State University

6. Georgia Tech University

I'm open to other suggestions and thoughts about the schools above, but I am most interested in what else I should think about when evaluating a program and what type of questions I should be asking. Any advice would be appreciated, since I know all of you are quite thoughtful!

If you need me to clarify anything, please let me know. 

If you are interested in being able to commute to a program, so you don't have to move again... I would also suggest looking at Johns Hopkins. Many of my cohort members commuted from DC (via the train so they could study during commute time). The Bloomberg School of Public health has a lot of cross-collaboration that crosses all areas that interest you. They have several research center that may also work for you. They also have a lot of clout nationally. But if you're goal is to settle directly where you go to school, that may still be too much east coast for you.

I personally would look at employment outcomes, along with program fit to determine which programs to target. May I ask why you wouldn't want to go to school in the DC area? There are some great public policy programs in the DC area (GW Trachtenberg, GM Schar, Georgetown McCourt). 

Thanks for the responses so far! I don't particularly want to stay in DC because while it is beautiful and has plenty to do, it just isn't my city. I'd prefer to relocate anyways and then attend a school I like in an area I prefer. 

I am not 100% opposed to DC schools, but they aren't my preference.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:04 PM, ILAR said:

Thanks for the responses so far! I don't particularly want to stay in DC because while it is beautiful and has plenty to do, it just isn't my city. I'd prefer to relocate anyways and then attend a school I like in an area I prefer. 

I am not 100% opposed to DC schools, but they aren't my preference.

Totally understandable. Considering you are looking at schools in the South and Midwest, I'd take a serious look at Duke, Minnesota and Carnegie Mellon, of the ones you listed. I had a professor who did his PhD at Humphrey and said it was particularly strong in policy analysis and finance. You may want to look at Michigan's Ford school of Public Policy, as it get's ranked pretty high across disciplines. Pittsburgh's GSPIA also is ranked pretty high. 

Edited by Nico Corr