Master's GPA v. Undergrad GPA: Which count more toward PhD Application?

GirlRichard

I have a 4.0 in my Masters program, but during undergrad I got a 3.4 (the poor grades were mostly from freshman year) Will the 3.4 haunt me during my applications to PhD programs, or will admissions see the 4.0 in the MA as more important? I am applying to competitive programs in Curriculum studies. My GRE scores are ok/meh/ok (162v/151q/4.5) but I have good letters of rec. In short, will the 3.4 keep me from schools like Columbia University (Teacher's College) and Stanford?

2 hours ago, GirlRichard said:

I have a 4.0 in my Masters program, but during undergrad I got a 3.4 (the poor grades were mostly from freshman year) Will the 3.4 haunt me during my applications to PhD programs, or will admissions see the 4.0 in the MA as more important? I am applying to competitive programs in Curriculum studies. My GRE scores are ok/meh/ok (162v/151q/4.5) but I have good letters of rec. In short, will the 3.4 keep me from schools like Columbia University (Teacher's College) and Stanford?

In general, doctorate programs in Education are not as competitive as programs in Graduate Arts and Sciences for example.  Specifically, I can't speak about Stanford, but your undergrad GPA will not preclude you from consideration with TC.  The adcom will see that you are able to do grad work with your MA. 

Your'e not alone, we are all freaking out during the application cycle.  Comes with the territory.  Take long and slow breaths through your nose until air fills your lungs, then slowly exhale through your mouth, relaxing your facial muscles at the same time.  Rinse and repeat.  Rinse and repeat.  Do this several times a day.  You will start to feel better and think clearer for a while until the next anxiety phase comes back.  Rinse and repeat.  Rinse and repeat.