Lubbock, TX

irishfan11

I did my undergrad and got my Master's from Texas Tech, so I am quite familiar with the area. I also grew up in a nearby town, so let me know if you have any more questions. Lubbock is a pretty standard college town. I love Lubbock, but my wife hates it. Most of what college students do is go drinking. I am not saying that they are all alcoholics, but thats just what they choose to do. On main street near campus is where a lot of people like to go, mostly undergrads. There are more bars around town that are aimed at older people and grad students. Until this past year Lubbock was a dry town, meaning you could only by alcohol at bars inside city limits, but that was changed so now people can buy it at any of the grocery stores. I assume this will make the bars less crowded. There is also the depot district, which is where all the clubs are where people go dancing on the weekends. If you are not in to that scene there is still plenty to do. There are a couple of movie theaters in town, and one drive in theater which I really enjoyed going to. Lubbock also gets a few big concerts a year. There is also a Main Event which has bowling and laser tag and stuff. For weekend trips there are a few places nearby to go camping, hiking, and fishing. I never did any of that so I am not familiar with it but I know it is possible.

For the question on where to live, it depends on if you are looking for an apartment or a house and if you want roomates or not. A general rule is to stay west of University and south of Erskine. A lot of undergrads live in the Lynwood Townhomes, which I really think is a good place to live, but it can get quite loud with the amount of people who live there. If you want something more quiet you will probably want to look further from campus. I had a house to live in so I didn't do a lot of looking. If you any more specific questions about this let me know, as I know quite a few people who still live there.

The weather in Lubbock is hot and dry. It doesn't rain a lot, and it gets cold sometimes, but for most of the year it is hot and dry. And windy. You will probably get one day of snow a year which is nice.

I know this was a bit of an information overload, so if you have any more specific questions post them here or send me a PM.

Anybody have any information about Lubbock? Where to live? What to do? Weather? The usual questions...

I lived in LBK for six years and would move back today.

It's a good sized town. Large enough that you have anything you will ever want in terms of shopping/restaurants/stuff to do, but not so big that you deal with excessive people/traffic. The town has a great college atmosphere, and they genuinely love Tech. The school makes up roughly 35,000 of the towns 200,000, so it's quiet in the summers.

It's a little geographically isolated, so if you want lakes, mountains, etc., it takes some minor travel. There is good hunting if you're into that sort of thing. In my day we used to go out to an abandoned airport and race cars.

Falls and football season are the best; mild weather and enthusiastic fans. Speaking of weather, ^ is largely correct. It's mild to warm year round, and rains in the spring with chances nasty weather.

Growth is in the south side of town, circa 98th street, and is where most of the nicer homes/shops are. It's the far side from the university but still only ten minutes away. Students tend to live closer to the university (tech terrece, apts, etc). In the last ten years they've done much construction around Tech with new apts and businesses (they even tore down old neighborhoods to do so).

Per the dry county issue, LBK is a bastion of social conservatism, and that they are just now allowing alcohol should give you an image. You can buy beer in town now, but no, the bars are no less empty. I drop into town some weekends to see friends, and my fav bar (Cricket's) is still packed. Chimy's and the margarita revolution also press on. In my days in LBK they also had a good music scene. Not comparable to other more well known cities, but bars regularly have small bands, and concerts were quite common. I saw Chevelle, Pearl Jam, Seether, Fuel, Shinedown, FlyLeaf, Korn, Revolution Smile, Rob Zombie, Taproot, Three Days Grace, Blue October.... *breath*... Static X, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Pat Green, to name a few while I was there. I don't know if they still get these bigger bands, but I do still see the smaller local bands when I go back.

Per other things to do, they have nice bowling alleys, movie theatres, etc., just like any other place. Lubbock does have a nice symphony. And if you want pizza, go to One Guys.

I truly loved it in LBK. As did many of my friends.

Are you going to grad school there? Dept?

I lived in LBK for six years and would move back today.

It's a good sized town. Large enough that you have anything you will ever want in terms of shopping/restaurants/stuff to do, but not so big that you deal with excessive people/traffic. The town has a great college atmosphere, and they genuinely love Tech. The school makes up roughly 35,000 of the towns 200,000, so it's quiet in the summers.

It's a little geographically isolated, so if you want lakes, mountains, etc., it takes some minor travel. There is good hunting if you're into that sort of thing. In my day we used to go out to an abandoned airport and race cars.

Falls and football season are the best; mild weather and enthusiastic fans. Speaking of weather, ^ is largely correct. It's mild to warm year round, and rains in the spring with chances nasty weather.

Growth is in the south side of town, circa 98th street, and is where most of the nicer homes/shops are. It's the far side from the university but still only ten minutes away. Students tend to live closer to the university (tech terrece, apts, etc). In the last ten years they've done much construction around Tech with new apts and businesses (they even tore down old neighborhoods to do so).

Per the dry county issue, LBK is a bastion of social conservatism, and that they are just now allowing alcohol should give you an image. You can buy beer in town now, but no, the bars are no less empty. I drop into town some weekends to see friends, and my fav bar (Cricket's) is still packed. Chimy's and the margarita revolution also press on. In my days in LBK they also had a good music scene. Not comparable to other more well known cities, but bars regularly have small bands, and concerts were quite common. I saw Chevelle, Pearl Jam, Seether, Fuel, Shinedown, FlyLeaf, Korn, Revolution Smile, Rob Zombie, Taproot, Three Days Grace, Blue October.... *breath*... Static X, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Pat Green, to name a few while I was there. I don't know if they still get these bigger bands, but I do still see the smaller local bands when I go back.

Per other things to do, they have nice bowling alleys, movie theatres, etc., just like any other place. Lubbock does have a nice symphony. And if you want pizza, go to One Guys.

I truly loved it in LBK. As did many of my friends.

Are you going to grad school there? Dept?

Thanks to the posters above, I'll more than likely by PMing you. Yes, I have an offer from the poly sci department.

• 1 year later...

So I'm making my final decision soon and had a question about Lubbock that was sort of answered above, but I'd like to know more:

I'm really into the Texas music scene (Randy Rogers Band, Wade Bowen, Cory Morrow, Jason Boland & the Stragglers). These guys come to Lubbock right? and if so, what places do they usually play at?

Also, are there liquor stores? Where can I buy my Captain Morgan and Jim Beam?

Edited by sandb342

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone add some info about the revitalization of downtown? Possible opening of new stores? Is there a pulse to this city, or is it just a run-down town that'll never breathe again? I've been reading a lot about it being in the "middle of nowhere" and how there's not "much going on" (however one describes that).

Got a great offer from TT, but it would be great to have a city that know's where it's going, and know's how to get there.

Can anyone add some info about the revitalization of downtown? Possible opening of new stores? Is there a pulse to this city, or is it just a run-down town that'll never breathe again? I've been reading a lot about it being in the "middle of nowhere" and how there's not "much going on" (however one describes that).

Got a great offer from TT, but it would be great to have a city that know's where it's going, and know's how to get there.

I'm currently in LBK for grad school. I'm not a fan of this city- totally different from where I grew up and went to undergrad in the northeast. It is in the middle of nowhere, but, it is the somewhere in nowhere. Some perks: Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Palo Duro, Big Bend National park, Austin, and Dallas are all in reasonable (read: day trip) driving distance.

Downtown has some events- theater, monthly art walk, a smallish music scene, and lots of cheap margaritas. Cost of living here is really low, however, don't count on travelling by bicycle unless you live very close to campus (lack of bike lanes and terrible drivers= terrifying). Plus, today, there was a horrific bike vs. pickup accident....

OH, and get used to breathing and chewing on dust. It's WINDY here (a good day is when its 15mph). There are dust storms AND mudrain (so be prepared).

I see your Juve badge so perhaps you will already ahve the answer to this question - is there any chance at all that bars would be open early enough to watch English/European football?

I will be attending TTU in the fall 2011

• 2 years later...

If anyone is headed to Tech this fall, lemme know if you have any questions!

I'm a local and did my B.A. and M.A. here at Tech, so I should be able to help. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/22/2014 at 10:02 AM, MedievalMadness said:

I'm going to give this thread a little bump.

It looks like I'm headed to TTU this fall for my PhD. Anyone have advice on apartments? Is there much within walking distance of campus?

There's a lot of cheap apartment housing all around Lubbock. The nicer apartments are a bit further from campus, but the longest driving commute you'll ever have is roughly 20 minutes. However, if you prefer to bike or take the bus to campus (I do), there are some cheap but a bit more noisy apartments closer to campus.

Campus is adjacent to University and Broadway. This area gives a strip of dining, shopping, and some bars. A lot of students will walk from campus and grab a drink and some food on the weekends and after major sporting events. Walmart for groceries is close to campus, but it is in a bit of a rough area. I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the nicer areas in Lubbock to get groceries and shop are actual a few minutes drive from campus.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey I'm bumping this thread! My boyfriend and I are most likely moving to Lubbock for my MA. We are young but we don't want to be surrounded by undergrads. We also would like a quite and safe neighborhood. We are looking to rent a house. Any recommendations? Also how is the pace of life? We would think it would be slower, which is what we want. How's the overall vibe of the culture? Does the city feel safe and friendly? We are mainly democratic when it comes to social issues (lgbt rights, pro-choice, anti religious laws) but aren't organizing rallies. Thanks for any answers!

Would also like to know how current grad students feel about Lubbock and said questions.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Hey I'm bumping this thread! My boyfriend and I are most likely moving to Lubbock for my MA. We are young but we don't want to be surrounded by undergrads. We also would like a quite and safe neighborhood. We are looking to rent a house. Any recommendations? Also how is the pace of life? We would think it would be slower, which is what we want. How's the overall vibe of the culture? Does the city feel safe and friendly? We are mainly democratic when it comes to social issues (lgbt rights, pro-choice, anti religious laws) but aren't organizing rallies. Thanks for any answers!

Specifically, areas to live that are close to campus but aren't flooded by frat parties. :)

2 minutes ago, rabbitfeet said:

Would also like to know how current grad students feel about Lubbock and said questions.

Specifically, areas to live that are close to campus but aren't flooded by frat parties. :)

Or at the very least frats that don't shoot off fireworks at 2 AM on a random Tuesday!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Lubbock, Texas this Fall to pursue my Ph.D in Chemical Engineering. I would really appreciate some inputs on the city, living expenses, places to live (I prefer living alone and would like a peaceful environment around me) and anything else you guys think I should know about moving there.

Cheers,

I've lived at a complex called "Raider's Pass" for about 7 years now (ending of my first degree, duration of second, and have signed on to work on my AuD here.  
It's cheap (I pay around $469 a month for full utilities, kitchen, and you pay by the room, so if a roommate leaves, you aren't penalized).  It's also a 10 minute walk to HSC or TTU campus.  https://www.americancampus.com/student-apartments/tx/lubbock/raiders-pass

If you recommend living with HSC students, they tend to do everything they can to ensure the students are either HSC or are students pursuing HSC (i.e., people that tend to be quiet).

Granted, most apartments surrounding TTU and HSC are owned by the same company, so they tend to be more or less the same, just with different prices and a few different amenities.  

Hope that helps.  

On 3/22/2016 at 1:54 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I have a few friends who live on the outskirts of town.  

I've lived in Lubbock since 2009, and absolutely love it here.  God willing, I will stay here after my doctorates, but you gotta go where the jobs are.  

There are all sorts of apartment complexes that cater to grad students, or push for a more quiet atmosphere.  I live at a complex that is for all students, so it can be loud.  Since I'm prior military, however, it's easier for me to sleep when people are active (as long as, like you mentioned, no firecrackers at 2 AM). The closer to mid- or south-Lubbock you go, the less it's "college Lubbock" and more "actual Lubbock".  Housing and apartments are ridiculously cheap here, so some housing websites can be wonderful for finding what you're looking for.

Lubbock is a very slow-paced "hurry up and get here, then take your time" kind of place.  

Vibe?  What do you mean by "vibe"?  

Friendly, absolutely.  I've lived in dozens of cities all over the country, and Lubbock is the first place that has ever felt like "home" to me.  Going out to a baseball game, or eating out at the hibachi grill, I've made some wonderful friends around town.  Just find volunteer events that you're interested in (I like Challenger baseball, which is baseball for kids with special needs, or I volunteer at the Science Spectrum), and  the "community" thing tends to work itself out.  

Safe?  Absolutely.  The running gag is everyone here owns a gun, so as long as you stay away from the drug scene, you should be 99.9% safe.  

Lubbock is among the top 5 most conservative cities in the nation.  The only people I know who are left-wing who don't get accepted are the ones who are borderline militant in their beliefs.  That kind of activism just bores people here, or rubs them the wrong way.  Nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, but know that a lot of people here are happy with things the way they are, and are in no hurry to change things.  As far as LGBT goes, I don't have an answer, but I have a few friends that are "allies", and know a small handful of gay or lesbians who also really enjoy it here, but we don't discuss matters related to how "accepted" they are.  In general, as long as you're not a dick, people tend to be wonderful to you.  

• 2 months later...

I never went to Tech, but I did spend about ten years off-and-on living in the panhandle and I have family in both Lubbock and Amarillo. I think my worst nightmare would be winding up having to go back to this area. If you are LGBTQIA or a PoC, stay away. The same is true if you aren't christian.

16 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

I never went to Tech, but I did spend about ten years off-and-on living in the panhandle and I have family in both Lubbock and Amarillo. I think my worst nightmare would be winding up having to go back to this area. If you are LGBTQIA or a PoC, stay away. The same is true if you aren't christian.

You are correct Cultural. I am middle of the road and feel quite comfortable there (have friends I visit), but I can see how one might not like it. We need to be where we are most comfortable. 

• 7 months later...
On 18/8/2017 at 1:55 AM, CulturalCriminal said:

Uh oh. I just searched this as I may end up at Texas Tech...and while I am white male, I am gay and extremely left-wing. I love the department, but I am scared to death about living in Lubbock and being miserable or even hate crimes and such. 

And yeah, bumping this up for more info in general in Lubbock :) Thanks. 

4 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Uh oh. I just searched this as I may end up at Texas Tech...and while I am white male, I am gay and extremely left-wing. I love the department, but I am scared to death about living in Lubbock and being miserable or even hate crimes and such. 

And yeah, bumping this up for more info in general in Lubbock :) Thanks. 

While it's certainly not a liberal and a queer enclave, I'm sure you'll be fine. There is some acceptance of gay men, and you will be in a department with mostly like-minded folks. Stick near campus and I am sure it'll be a safe and a mostly-friendly few years.

My trepidation at applying to Tech or eventually getting a job there is rooted in the fact that I'm a butch-ish trans gal engaged to a chicanx, non-binary person who teaches high school English. While I can probably deal with staying in the University bubble and wouldn't be all that worried about my research interests causing conflict (though WTAMU would be a much different story), my partner wouldn't have that comfort.

5 minutes ago, CulturalCriminal said:

While it's certainly not a liberal and a queer enclave, I'm sure you'll be fine. There is some acceptance of gay men, and you will be in a department with mostly like-minded folks. Stick near campus and I am sure it'll be a safe and a mostly-friendly few years.

My trepidation at applying to Tech or eventually getting a job there is rooted in the fact that I'm a butch-ish trans gal engaged to a chicanx, non-binary person who teaches high school English. While I can probably deal with staying in the University bubble and wouldn't be all that worried about my research interests causing conflict (though WTAMU would be a much different story), my partner wouldn't have that comfort.

Which would be horrible for your partner! You'd have the bubble but.... All the profs I've talked to have mentioned they lived in a bubble and couldn't actually tell me anything about Lubbock so I mean.... Thanks for your reply. I may have more questions soon.