2008 Anthro PhD Applicants

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also applied there and haven't heard back yet.

I feel slightly more relieved with each person who says this...lol...granted, there's only been 3 of us that I've managed to find online so far, but hey! :) Let us know if you hear anything soon. :)

Received my third rejection from Yale today. Well.....I have an inkling that all my apps will crumble this year...... :cry:

I hear ya. I think I need to be coming up with a backup plan pretty soon. Other than moving in with my mommy and making a reality show about two generations of divorcees living under the same roof....

I hear ya. I think I need to be coming up with a backup plan pretty soon. Other than moving in with my mommy and making a reality show about two generations of divorcees living under the same roof....

Why blakkbug? I'd totally watch that show. Then you could write an auto-ethnography of it and use that as your writing sample...

Why blakkbug? I'd totally watch that show. Then you could write an auto-ethnography of it and use that as your writing sample...

Ha ha! Good to know that I'd have an audience! I got the official rejection letter from University of Arizona yesterday. Whatever. Maybe good news will be coming soon-for now I'm just trying to keep my head up and wait patiently to hear from the last three schools.

i'm also waiting to hear from cuny...at the end of the day, do you think that schools that notify early have an advantage over late schools, in terms of attracting students? obviously, this factor won't trump school reputation or money, that god of gods, but those things being equal, do you think it makes a difference? i got accepted from one school in january, and as a result i've now had six weeks of actually imagining myself going there--the possibility has grown greater with time. but as i check my email and this site day after day, i'm starting to get annoyed with the 2 schools i'm still waiting to hear from. i already knew cuny might be late, because there are several posts on this site from last year indicating that people were accepted in april. but april? given the 4/15 deadline, that doesn't seem all that considerate, in terms of giving people time to weigh their options. anyway, as i contemplate the increasingly warm and fuzzy feelings i'm having for the school that let me in, and contrast it with growing annoyance at the schools that seem to insist on crawling, not walking, through the application process, i'm wondering about the impact of notification date on applicant decisions. it seems to be having an affect in my case. any thoughts?

This process for me is by no means winding down!

I have 2 questions for the board:

1)Has anyone heard formally from UNC?

2)With one exception, I've not received a solid funding offer with acceptances - either more information is forthcoming OR I've been waitlisted for $$. Any thoughts on whether this is normal in anthropology and/or whether there is merit to this probable funding? Also, any thoughts on going to a dream program without definite funding?

I am still waiting to hear from 6 schools... Cornell, UCLA, Stanford, UC Irvine, NYU, New School. Has anyone heard anything about any of those?

If you hadn't heard from NYU till last week, then the odds are you're 90% out. They've sent out interview invites and contacted those waitlisted applicants.

If you hadn't heard from NYU till last week, then the odds are you're 90% out. They've sent out interview invites and contacted those waitlisted applicants.

arrrrg. thanks for the info. has anyone actually been accepted yet? it doesn't seem that way from the results.