Fall 2018

Ken5566

13 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Does anyone have the faintest idea why JHU might have extended their application deadline? 

Bizarre... especially considering the changed the deadline AFTER the initial deadline. I hadn't even noticed because (duh) I'd already applied. Maybe technical difficulties? Who knows....

19 hours ago, unanachronism said:

Bizarre... especially considering the changed the deadline AFTER the initial deadline. I hadn't even noticed because (duh) I'd already applied. Maybe technical difficulties? Who knows....

Typically, deadlines are extended when (a) an ideal number of applicants hasn't been reached or (b) the ideal number of quality or needed applicants hasn't been reached.

7 hours ago, mrssalad said:

Typically, deadlines are extended when (a) an ideal number of applicants hasn't been reached or (b) the ideal number of quality or needed applicants hasn't been reached.

I worked admissions for a MA program in a different field and every year our deadline was Jan. 31 until the week before when we would extend it to Feb. 15. Partially a numbers game like you say, and partially because scientists (could be extended to academics) were terrible procrastinators and there wasn't any harm in extending. 

Hi! New member here 

graduating from SCAD in June 

BFA Art History

minors in Museum Studies and New Media Art

focus on contemporary art theory/visual culture studies

3.95 overall GPA/4.0 major

Experience in museums (2 internships, docent work, etc) 

3 conferences in 2017 - won best undergrad paper at one 

didnt take the GRE because none of my schools required it 

applied to: Goldsmiths, SVA, and SAIC

Concerns: i should have applied to more programs i think. Also should have taken the GRE so i could have applied to Hunter and Columbia, but I ran out of time. My first choice is Goldsmiths though, so my fingers are crossed!

3 hours ago, scadgradtobe said:

Hi! New member here 

graduating from SCAD in June 

BFA Art History

minors in Museum Studies and New Media Art

focus on contemporary art theory/visual culture studies

3.95 overall GPA/4.0 major

Experience in museums (2 internships, docent work, etc) 

3 conferences in 2017 - won best undergrad paper at one 

didnt take the GRE because none of my schools required it 

applied to: Goldsmiths, SVA, and SAIC

Concerns: i should have applied to more programs i think. Also should have taken the GRE so i could have applied to Hunter and Columbia, but I ran out of time. My first choice is Goldsmiths though, so my fingers are crossed!

Ah Goldsmiths!!! I’m obsessed with that school. If they offered more funding for Americans it would definitely be my top choice. 

Hi everyone! First time poster here :)

Does anyone know whether Harvard typically does interviews?

Also - I noticed on the Results page that UPenn offered an interview this year? Can the poster let us know if they provided any info in the interview about acceptance timeline, or the number of spots available this year?

This waiting game is killer! First 10 days of February seem to be a typical time for Princeton and Harvard to release initial acceptances...

2 hours ago, storiadell'arte said:

This waiting game is killer! First 10 days of February seem to be a typical time for Princeton and Harvard to release initial acceptances...

7 minutes ago, FreakingOutFragonard said:

Hi storiadell'arte feel free to PM me if you want to stress together. Harvard is my first choice too and I am obsessively checking my emails and the results boards. As far as I know it looks like Harvard doesn't do interviews, but I was considering asking them if they do. 

Seconded here, I’m always down to chat with fellow worriers! Harvard, Princeton, and UPenn are also on my list. I’m trying SO HARD to not just obsessively check the boards, but WOW is it difficult! Patience is definitely not my strongest virtue. 

@FreakingOutFragonard

@ReichenbachFalls

Totally down to join the Harvard anxiety train. I don't think that Harvard does interviews and when I met with my POI last semester that did not come up. 

JHU does interviews, though, in case that's also on your list!

We're in this together. 

I second the info about JHU - faculty told me it's pretty much standard that shortlisted candidates get an interview. Not sure about Penn, though. 

Edited by storiadell'arte

I'm trying to remain hopeful, but my gut instinct tells me that if we weren't contacted by Penn for an interview by now the chance of acceptance is slim. Same goes for Northwestern. Harvard doesn't do interviews, FYI. 

Sending y'all good vibes. Wine helps. 

2 hours ago, artsytype said:

There are so many ivy league applications here! Is that common or are you all just a very smart bunch? I don't think I'd have the courage to apply to Harvard.

I think it’s pretty common, actually. GradCafe also tends to attract a bit of a more ‘competetive’ Crowd from what I’ve been seeing. I feel like I’ve heard from several people that since they were already going through the process of applications, they figured they might as well throw out an application to a few reach schools, too. No one ever really knows what those Adcomms want in an applicant anyway... That’s definitely not the only way to do it, though! Applying to only non-ivies is also a very valid choice. 

17 hours ago, Noscrubs said:

I'm trying to remain hopeful, but my gut instinct tells me that if we weren't contacted by Penn for an interview by now the chance of acceptance is slim. Same goes for Northwestern. Harvard doesn't do interviews, FYI. 

Sending y'all good vibes. Wine helps. 

Hi Noscrubs! Just a note to help you keep heart - and all those other Penn hopefuls out there - I contacted my POI at UPenn to ask about interviews. Apparently, they generally don't do them. Decisions should come out early to mid February. 

Does anyone know when UVa will send out more PhD decisions? I didn't get any information today, and I haven't received an email from a POI or an interview request. Unsure of what to think.