2018 Ford Predoctoral Fellowship

EngineerAlvara

1 hour ago, shiningorb said:

You had 4 reviewers?? I only had 2 :/ I wonder how they decided how many reviewers each application got. That seems unfair on their end because one of my reviewers gave me ratings from good - very good while the other gave me ratings mostly around fair...so that would pull my average rating down a lot more than if I had multiple reviewers and only one who disliked my application so much. 

Yep 4 and I'm surprised at the variability. Though i'm not sure how the individual scores are aggregated. So is it an average of all reviewers? Or will one 'you suck' completely tank 4 'you're pretty awesome!'?

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Yep 4 and I'm surprised at the variability. Though i'm not sure how the individual scores are aggregated. So is it an average of all reviewers? Or will one 'you suck' completely tank 4 'you're pretty awesome!'?

I’m planning on calling this Monday and asking about how they determine how many reviewers score each application. Will report back! 

Edited by shiningorb

This is my second time applying. I got honorable mention the first time, and then alternate this time. 

I had 5 reviewers...which seems more than most..for whatever reason.
I haven't started my PhD yet so I can keep applying, but it's hard to interpret REALLY what they are looking for from the results. (Don't really understand why a reviewer wouldn't leave comments?) 
If you look at the lists of past winners for pre-doctoral, it seems as if a lot of them are going to Ivy Leagues, but that's not the case for the dissertation/post-doctoral. I wonder why. Also, I'm studying computer science and only 1 person who has gotten the award in the past 2 years has been from computer science. Peculiar?  

fordResults.thumb.PNG.96b0653886f314442485e78949f50ea2.PNG

10 hours ago, wowz3rz said:

This is my second time applying. I got honorable mention the first time, and then alternate this time. 

I had 5 reviewers...which seems more than most..for whatever reason.
I haven't started my PhD yet so I can keep applying, but it's hard to interpret REALLY what they are looking for from the results. (Don't really understand why a reviewer wouldn't leave comments?) 
If you look at the lists of past winners for pre-doctoral, it seems as if a lot of them are going to Ivy Leagues, but that's not the case for the dissertation/post-doctoral. I wonder why. Also, I'm studying computer science and only 1 person who has gotten the award in the past 2 years has been from computer science. Peculiar?  

fordResults.thumb.PNG.96b0653886f314442485e78949f50ea2.PNG

Mine is similar across the board and I had 4 reviewers (different filed - psych) and I believe they try to distribute somewhat evenly over disciplines to an extent but if there are an overwhelming amount of fundable apps from one group they may move slots. This is speculation but it seems this way. Still your scores are fantastic and I hope we both hear better news next go around!

On 3/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, shiningorb said:

You had 4 reviewers?? I only had 2 :/ I wonder how they decided how many reviewers each application got. That seems unfair on their end because one of my reviewers gave me ratings from good - very good while the other gave me ratings mostly around fair...so that would pull my average rating down a lot more than if I had multiple reviewers and only one who disliked my application so much. 

I’m  pretty sure it goes in round. Like the first round everybody gets two reviewers and then they decide who goes to the next round with a new set of people reviewing and so on. So if you only got two reviewers your application didn’t make it past the first round. ??‍♀️  That’s my assumption based on the number people say they had reviewing. 

2 hours ago, Musiciangrl06 said:

I’m  pretty sure it goes in round. Like the first round everybody gets two reviewers and then they decide who goes to the next round with a new set of people reviewing and so on. So if you only got two reviewers your application didn’t make it past the first round. ??‍♀️  That’s my assumption based on the number people say they had reviewing. 

That makes sense, thanks!

5 hours ago, Musiciangrl06 said:

maybe, but I only received 2 reviewers yet also I received honorable mention