2018 Ford Predoctoral Fellowship

EngineerAlvara

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to apply but I'm not sure if my discipline Social and Behavioral Sciences is eligible. It is a interdisciplinary field of sociology and public health with a heavy emphasis on research. Thoughts?

I recently submitted my application. I had my materials reviewed by a recipient from a few years ago, so I hope my essays (and letters of recommendation) are strong enough. I know it's a really competitive fellowship.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Embee said:

I'm planning to apply but I'm not sure if my discipline Social and Behavioral Sciences is eligible. It is a interdisciplinary field of sociology and public health with a heavy emphasis on research. Thoughts?

If you can re frame it a bit so it falls into the eligible category it should be fine. I'm counseling PhD and while its technically eligible I'm careful how I frame my intervention work.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, csot said:

I recently submitted my application. I had my materials reviewed by a recipient from a few years ago, so I hope my essays (and letters of recommendation) are strong enough. I know it's a really competitive fellowship.

Congrats and good luck! I keep obsessing over small details which is driving me crazy. The max page count is rough too. My one solace is that I'm still eligible next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the deadline for the application. How is everyone feeling?

On 12/4/2017 at 10:06 PM, 8BitJourney said:

Congrats and good luck! I keep obsessing over small details which is driving me crazy. The max page count is rough too. My one solace is that I'm still eligible next year!

Thank you so much! Likewise!

5 hours ago, csot said:

Today's the deadline for the application. How is everyone feeling?

Thank you so much! Likewise!

Feels weird. I still need to submit the supps but it feels like the worse is over.

Hi everyone - 

can u log back in to update recommender emails / submit transcripts?

I cant log in.. where do we log in?

I can only find the "register" button . which takes me to a page that stating there are no open applications!

*I did submit before the deadline* 

Thank you 

You can only submit transcripits and other supps after you submit. Go back to the portal that you originally created the application inn and you should be able to view it. While you won't be able to edit the essays or information page you should be able to edit the supplementary information section.

5 hours ago, zeinab2017 said:

Hi everyone - 

can u log back in to update recommender emails / submit transcripts?

I cant log in.. where do we log in?

I can only find the "register" button . which takes me to a page that stating there are no open applications!

*I did submit before the deadline* 

Thank you 

Anyone started working on the Verification of pre-doc status yet? I'm confused as to exactly what it is supposed to entail. Should we just be listing out all of the courses we will be taking over the next three years (seems like a lot of courses...)? And what is the difference between "projects" and "plans"? It seems too easy to just include the study I proposed in my application under the projects I plan to complete if funded, but I'm not sure what else would be included...

From the website: 
"one-page (maximum) statement listing the courses, projects, and plans that will be undertaken if awarded a predoctoral fellowship (for academic years 2018- 2019, 2019-2020, and 2020-2021)"

12 hours ago, 01sonal said:

Anyone started working on the Verification of pre-doc status yet? I'm confused as to exactly what it is supposed to entail. Should we just be listing out all of the courses we will be taking over the next three years (seems like a lot of courses...)? And what is the difference between "projects" and "plans"? It seems too easy to just include the study I proposed in my application under the projects I plan to complete if funded, but I'm not sure what else would be included...

From the website: 
"one-page (maximum) statement listing the courses, projects, and plans that will be undertaken if awarded a predoctoral fellowship (for academic years 2018- 2019, 2019-2020, and 2020-2021)"

I uploaded my verification of predoctoral status, but it wasn't anything fancy. I think (or at least, I hope) the fellowships office just wants to confirm that you REALLY have at least 3 years left to complete your program. I created a table and organized all the courses I was taking over the next few years. That way, they could see what classes I'll be taking (and how they overlap with my research proposal).

I think "projects" could include research projects that you collaborate on with faculty members. "Plans" could include participating in research camps over the summer to supplement your coursework, going abroad to do any fieldwork that you might plan on completing, etc.

Wow I'm just finding this forum. I submitted for the pre-doc this past week. It was definitely nerve-wrecking, especially after a long semester of applying for PhD programs. I'm finally glad to be done applying for awhile :) Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this post was hidden to me, just now finding it too thanks to poster "Csot".  I created my own thread on here a couple weeks ago for psychology applicants and was wondering why no one had posted before me lol, given the fellowship has been a popular topic on here last year and previous award years.

I submitted the supplemental stuff including the verification of predoctoral status (yeah I just wrote what classes I'm supposed to take each year in it), only problem is I'm still waiting for 3 of 4 recommenders to upload. They say students are last minute, but professors are too I guess >.< lol.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by SmartGirl09

On 1/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, SmartGirl09 said:

Wow this post was hidden to me, just now finding it too thanks to poster "Csot".  I created my own thread on here a couple weeks ago for psychology applicants and was wondering why no one had posted before me lol, given the fellowship has been a popular topic on here last year and previous award years.

I submitted the supplemental stuff including the verification of predoctoral status (yeah I just wrote what classes I'm supposed to take each year in it), only problem is I'm still waiting for 3 of 4 recommenders to upload. They say students are last minute, but professors are too I guess >.< lol.

Good luck everyone!

I'm waiting on recommenders also! One of them the professor said it's already written and she just has to upload it....that was 2 weeks ago lol -__-

Edited by 01sonal

5 hours ago, 01sonal said:

I'm waiting on recommenders also! One of them the professor said it's already written and she just has to upload it....that was 2 weeks ago lol -__-

I feel your frustration. I asked my recommender to write me a letter toward the end of November. Usually they just ask for notice 2 weeks in advance. I gave notice 6 weeks in advance, but it still hasn't been uploaded...

Feeling grateful and relieved that my 4th (and final) recommender got her LoR uploaded. I'm reading through my essays again and realizing that I could've said some things a little differently, but what's done is done. I just have to sit back, pray that the reviewers take interest in my application, and hope for the best! Best of luck to everyone.

3 hours ago, csot said:

Feeling grateful and relieved that my 4th (and final) recommender got her LoR uploaded. I'm reading through my essays again and realizing that I could've said some things a little differently, but what's done is done. I just have to sit back, pray that the reviewers take interest in my application, and hope for the best! Best of luck to everyone.

Same for me! word for word lol, my last LoR got uploaded yesterday, and I feel like there are little things in my essays that I could've re-worded, but I'm praying the reviewers still like my app.

2 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Ughh my 4th LOR is MIA meaning only 3 for me. Just need to finish the verification form and wait till march (is it march?). Fingers crossed.

Yep the Ford website says March; based on what I saw on here from people who applied last year, it will be at the end of March

Edited by SmartGirl09