Neuropsych vs. neurophys vs. neurosci

KevinG

Hey everyone, 

I would appreciate hearing some of you reflect on the difference between neuropsychology, neurophysiology, and neuroscience. I've been a bit confused by how the terms are used. My bachelor's is in Biology and I'm trying to specialize in psychology with my graduate degrees. It seems like there's a lot of overlap between the fields, but honestly I've had a hard time trying lines. 

Your help is appreciated!

Kevin

If there are already any lines - they are very blurry. Most programs will have substantial overlap. The MA program and PHD program at my school has a neuropsych program - but they certainly get physiology classes as well. There focus tends to be a bit more toward clinical neuroscience or the behavior that is associated with certain brain regions. So I'd say it is not uncommon for these programs to have a strong clinical aspect (diagnosis, treatment, etc.) - although not necessarily and it may even be offered as electives. 

Our neuroscience program focuses a bit more on genetics or computational methods and they have an experimental track (i.e., research methods such as fMRI). That said - most classes still overlap. Often they're all part of the electives pool. The main differences is the strong focus on the growth of tissue, genetics, etc. However, one could easily argue that this is also neurophysiology in which my school has no program. 

It is very dependent on the program - I wouldn't say there is a 'real' distinction. It rather seems to depend on the individual school. 

I'd say find a person you want to work with and go into that field rather than trying to get caught up by arbitrary divisions

6 hours ago, lewin said:

neurophysiology - I want to study nerves

neuropsychology - I want to lesion rats*

neuroscience - I want to use fMRI*

*and EEG

Do one for biopsychology and neurobiology

Edited by Oshawott

Biopsychology is a university that has biology and psychology departments who want to get in on this whole neuroscience thing, but not enough to create a separate joint department where they might lose faculty/enrollment from their original departments. They are living together common law.

Neurobiology is a neuroscience department that wants to remind people that they existed before the the word neuroscience was cool.

...I make jokes because I don't have a serious or informed answer for the OP.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:47 PM, lewin said:

neurophysiology - I want to study nerves

neuropsychology - I want to lesion rats*

neuroscience - I want to use fMRI*

*and EEG

You have neuroscience and neuropsychology mixed up here- neuroscience is lesioning rats, neuropsychology is using patients and learning how to use assessment to diagnose brain disorders.

17 hours ago, jjmill said:

neuroscience is lesioning rats,

I guess it depends on whether you're modifying 'neuroscience' with cognitive or behavioral. 

In any case I'm hoping it's clear from my tone that the OP shouldn't use me to make decisions ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What is your professional goal?

Do you want a research career in academia or pharma? Study neuroscience or neurophysiology.

Do you want to be a clinician assessing patients with brain trauma or disabilities? Study neuropsychology.

• 4 weeks later...