Fall 2018 Application

2 hours ago, CelestialJenkins said:

Thanks.  Did you make it in time to apply for the Dean's scholarship, or were yours need and merit based scholarships?

Mine was strictly merit based—they said it shows up as the Dean’s Account Award, if that’s the same thing, I’m not sure.

I was aiming to apply to the advanced standing programs at University of Michigan and Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) by the March 1st priority deadline but due to extenuating circumstances, I was unable to reach the deadlines. Is it worth applying after the priority deadline, or should I just wait until next year? Michigan's website says "The School will accept applications following the priority deadline, but we strongly encourage applicants to apply as early as possible" and WashU's website states "After March 1, admission and scholarship decisions are made based on availability". Based on these statements I'm not sure it's worth it to spend the money on the application if there is a minimal chance of acceptance. I'm a current BSW senior and I have a 3.59 GPA and a major GPA of 3.76, and to be honest I'm not sure if I have a chance/I'm on the same caliber GPA wise as applicants who have been accepted. Any advice would be really helpful!! 

On 3/1/2018 at 11:43 PM, xix said:

I was aiming to apply to the advanced standing programs at University of Michigan and Washington University at St. Louis by the March 1st priority deadline but due to extenuating circumstances, I was unable to reach the deadlines. Is it worth applying after the priority deadline, or should I just wait until next year? Michigan's website says "The School will accept applications following the priority deadline, but we strongly encourage applicants to apply as early as possible" and WashU's website states "After March 1, admission and scholarship decisions are made based on availability". Based on these statements I'm not sure it's worth it to spend the money on the application if there is a minimal chance of acceptance. I'm a current BSW senior and I have a 3.59 GPA and a major GPA of 3.76, and to be honest I'm not sure if I have a chance/I'm on the same caliber GPA wise as applicants who have been accepted. Any advice would be really helpful!! 

With your GPA, depending on your experience, you sound like a good candidate for those programs.  Schools like WUSTL are generous with aid.  University of Chicago’s deadline is April 1.  Their app process is also lighter than WUSTL, you don’t need the analytical essay and the personal statement prompt is pretty similar.

I was also sent an invitation to interview at CSUF Friday afternoon. Does anybody here know about the questions asked or who will be conducting the interviews?

Also, has anybody heard from UW-Seattle? I applied for the extended program on the Jan 3rd deadline but no update since then. Getting nervous as I only applied to UW-Seattle and CSUF. They are really the only two schools I wanted to attend, so I am hoping I presented myself well in my statements and in the upcoming interview.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:20 AM, HannahRae said:

Just got accepted to Denver! Even though I've accepted another offer, it is still really exciting to have that rush after an acceptance. 

I'm going to celebrate by going to Target and buying shit I don't need!

Social worker in Denver here and graduate of Umaryland. 

When talking with co-workers who went to DU, no one has said it was worth the cost. While the program is decent, for what it is worth, it is simply too expensive to be worth it. With new grads making $42K or so out of school at a community mental health agency and much less at other nonprofits, there is no way it makes sense to pay $47K per year in tuition. 

If you want to live in Denver, consider Metro State's MSW program. It has a similar reputation and is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. 

Hey!

I'm applying to Columbia, Fordham, University of Southern California, Bryn Mawr, and maybe Boston U, but I'm on the fence still. Any advice about that would be great!

17 hours ago, lincoln.hawks said:

Social worker in Denver here and graduate of Umaryland. 

When talking with co-workers who went to DU, no one has said it was worth the cost. While the program is decent, for what it is worth, it is simply too expensive to be worth it. With new grads making $42K or so out of school at a community mental health agency and much less at other nonprofits, there is no way it makes sense to pay $47K per year in tuition. 

If you want to live in Denver, consider Metro State's MSW program. It has a similar reputation and is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. 

I applied to programs like DU because they often automatically award financial and merit based scholarships that make it comparable to other schools.  I’ve decided I won’t be attending a program like that unless it’s financially viable.  That said, I have my eye on the UChicago SSA program for lots of reasons other than it being a private school, and am drawn to the Latino/Abroad options at DU.  For me, as someone who would be paying out of state at any program I attended at a state school, only fairly substantial scholarships would make them the same price.

I guess this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any tips on how to subtly nudge a recommender into completing a recommendation? The deadline is technically not until the end of March but my guess is I will have answers from other places by then and I don't know if I can wait until May or whenever to make a decision.

20 hours ago, HannahRae said:

Woo my girlfriend and I just both got accepted to Madison!!

18 hours ago, WIGilly said:

After being extremely nervous about getting into UW-Madison, since it's my #1 school choice, I received my acceptance today!!! So excited!

Congratulations! I just received a rejection for the Full-time program at Madison and subsequently recommended for the Part-time program which was highly unfortunate but then 10 minutes later I got accepted to UWM. I am content with the consolation prize. Now I just wait until Metro State Denver makes their decision. 

So I just got an email saying that my admission decision was available for Tulane, despite the portal saying that my second recommendation letter is still outstanding... they said I got in, but I don't know whether to trust it, or whether it's some kind of mistake? Called and emailed them but no response yet. Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them before? Help!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, Pchiran said:

Congrats @StephVMSW! I got into CSUDH and CSULB recently. Wondering if you'll be leaning toward CSUN or CSUDH? What are your thoughts on the CSUDH program?

Hi there, congrats on your acceptance to CSUDH and CSULB! I am leaning towards CSUDH b/c I went there for my undergrad and they have a concentration on children and families. However, I also like CSUN's program and it's closer to home. I really don't know how I'm going to decide yet. What about yourself, have you decided which school you will attend? 

I had my interview with CSUF today. Seemed to have gone well, but they said expect a couple weeks to hear back.

Does anybody have an update on UW-Seattle? Not a word from them and it's mid month already. Getting anxious as they're the only two schools I applied to.

On 3/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, StephVMSW said:

Hi there, congrats on your acceptance to CSUDH and CSULB! I am leaning towards CSUDH b/c I went there for my undergrad and they have a concentration on children and families. However, I also like CSUN's program and it's closer to home. I really don't know how I'm going to decide yet. What about yourself, have you decided which school you will attend? 

Hey @StephVMSW, I've decided on CSUDH! Super excited :-) 

On 3/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, breannmarie said:

Has anyone else been accepted to Fordham University in NYC and/or thinking of going? I got accepted and got a small merit scholarship and thinking I might decide to go there. Might be nice to recognize someone!

Hi! I was just accepted to Fordham for fall! Still waiting to hear back from two other schools... I also got a small merit scholarship!