Critical Language Scholarship 2018

Mateng

30 minutes ago, RJB36 said:

Called the CLS office today to ask about the 'early March' post, and they said that semi-finalists will be emailed of their recipient status "this week or next week, but most likely before the end of February." My guess is next week, but still praying for this week. Rivai, did you know if that section of the FAQ page about "preference may be given to students who have never studied abroad before" was recently posted or if has been there for some time? Really hope that this 'preference' is not given too much weight. 

To be honest, I don't know but I don't remember it and people in the facebook applicant group don't either. I don't think we should worry too much about it because of the wording, "preference MAY be given" rather than "preference WILL be given." Plus, there are people who have won CLS twice for different languages in the past years including the last, and two months is not a limited studied abroad experience. I'm a first time applicant but it seems to me that this would affect the Intermediate level applicants the most, it would be extremely unlikely (realistically speaking) for you to have an advanced level of a language unless you're rich and can afford private tutoring. Seems like a lot of us here who got to the second round have studied abroad judging from this thread. If I'm honest, I would see having studied a language before abroad as a sign of commitment to a language, I know people who have taken student loans to study abroad because they just did not have the resources to continue to progress in a language. This should be seen as a sign of commitment rather than being played against applicants. You just can't compare a person who has studied arabic/russian/mandarin in the states for two years, has excellent resources including tutors and advisers who help tailor his/her application for a prestigious scholarship with a person who is willing to get themselves into debt in order to study a language due to lack of resources. I'm going to choose to have a little faith.

Edited by Rivai

I'm constantly lurking this thread lately, so I thought I may as well register and post. Did anyone else here apply for Japan?

My undergraduate career will end in May, and I'm also waiting on word from Fulbright, so CLS might be my last formal classroom experience for quite a while. The anticipation is killing me.

For anyone who has gotten CLS before - when is the pre-departure orientation for June-July programs? I have some plans I'm making for May, but I don't know if they overlap with CLS.

Edited by TwentyNine
Adding question to end

11 minutes ago, iamnotme said:

Anyone else refreshing their email every 2 minutes? It's becoming a problem...

It's all I did in my classes this morning. If CLS doesn't pan out, I need to set up my summer internship plans ASAP. Late February/early March is cutting it dangerously close for my decision dates :s

I wonder how long they've had an Excel sheet of finalists just waiting for the program dates to finalize and emails to be written?

5 minutes ago, emopeacock said:

Oh man. I have been so composed this entire process, and now that it’s so close I am losing. My. Mind. Like most everyone else, I just want answers so I can go forward with planning my summer. 

I feel that. Every time I see a random email or a FB notif, my heart starts beating a million miles an hour thinking its CLS

33 minutes ago, iamnotme said:

I feel that. Every time I see a random email or a FB notif, my heart starts beating a million miles an hour thinking its CLS

And now they just retweeted something from @ECAatStatem. Every notification puts me on high alert; the tension is real.

I also have to make a decision on a short class in May by Wednesday. I might be able to do both, but it depends entirely on when the pre-departure orientation is if I get CLS.

I have plans for either response if I can just get the response on time, haha... It'd be nice even if they could say that they are not sending announcements today.

Time to get a grip on myself and study.

4 hours ago, orangelrc said:

called the CLS office and they said they're sending out notifications "by the end of the week"

I hate the way that sounds -- Tuesdays and Wednesdays have been popular announcement days in the past maybe we'll get lucky and they won't make us wait much longer. Word for the wise, wine helps.

I shot a message to them this morning on Facebook Messenger, asking whether it was unlikely that we would receive a notification today. In spite of asking specifically about today, I still got a vague answer :(

"Hi Nick! We have not determined an exact date for notification yet. We hope to notify all semi-finalists of their status by the end of this week. We appreciate your patience!"

I wonder what is holding them up in such a way that they can't even give a minimum wait time.

Edited by TwentyNine

2 hours ago, TwentyNine said:

I shot a message to them this morning on Facebook Messenger, asking whether it was unlikely that we would receive a notification today. In spite of asking specifically about today, I still got a vague answer :(

"Hi Nick! We have not determined an exact date for notification yet. We hope to notify all semi-finalists of their status by the end of this week. We appreciate your patience!"

I wonder what is holding them up in such a way that they can't even give a minimum wait time.

They’re vague to be vague. Every study abroad scholarship I’ve ever encountered does the same thing. They’ll never tell you a direct answer regarding when things will be sent out.