Duke Sanford AMA

Thanks for the post!!

I´m applying to Duke MPP and I want to ask about your experience there (class, professors, city, etc) and about the scholarships. Also, it would be helpful to know about your application process and some tips you would like to share.

Hey @2018Hopeful

Gonna try to give you an unbiased look at Sanford (I'm a fan, but hearing someone gush isn't always helpful). Before I do though, let me tell you -- I love Durham. Research Triangle is underrated, Southern weather is amazing, and breweries/food are our staples (what better for grad school?). 

Class -- 1st year is essentially all foundation courses. The courseload is a lot (3 semester of 4 classes, 1 semester of 5 classes), but not too much. It's my first semester and I'm doing the 5 classes, "advanced stats", and "advanced econ", (read grad level), and I still manage to go out every weekend, have a social life, etc. You are going to have time to pursue your own interests more in the second year, but you have to make your own opportunities in the first -- depending on your professors your initial coursework will offer some flexibility but not much. 

Professors -- Really good for social policy, intersection of policy and politics, state/local governance, urban policy, and increasingly IR. I'm here to look at more economics/innovation issues, and there are fewer professors in my research interest (but enough to feel like I'm not alone). An underrated part of Sanford: the student-faculty ratio. This allows for great access. 

Career/Opportunities -- If you want to work a job during the day, or you are convinced you could only ever live in DC, Sanford may not be for you. Don't get me wrong, DC has the second-highest concentration of Duke alums in the country, but there are other schools that may serve your interests better. Donna runs Career Services and she's amazing. Tells you like it is, no-bs. Work with her. You will get a job. 

Application -- Be yourself. I did well with my application, but did it pretty non-traditionally. It might make sense to outline the 1500 word piece in a more "policy memo" style (bottom-line up front, shorter paragraphs), but I did not do that at all. Do the video. It will make you laugh later. 

Scholarships -- Duke is very generous. Basically no one pays sticker price, but -- and this applies to all MPP programs in my opinion -- no one should go into 6-figure debt for this degree. 

Good luck. I'm around. Also, I saw you're from Argentina, are you interested in the MPP or MIDP program? 

Thanks @makingtheleap.back!!!

Do you know if the scholarships are available in the "same" amount for both programs (MPP and MIDP)?

Also, how different are the MPP (International Development Policy Concentration) from MIDP?

As I'm from Argentina and I can't stay in the US after my master (fulbright scholarship), it's imposible to me to have a lot of debt, here the salaries are far from what yo can expect in the US.

Finally, I attached a link to my description, I would apreciate if you have some advice:

Hi @makingtheleap.back

I am having GRE score of 308 (M-163, V-145), TOEFL (96) and GPA (3.7/4.0). I have pretty much good experience in Government for 2 years and having strong SOP and LOR clearly aligned with course MPP and my interest in public service.

Kindly suggest, should I apply for MPP in Duke University?

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by abnimbal-MPP

Sorry for the delay, y'all. Grad school is picking up! 

@2018Hopeful I have a couple friends in the MIDP program. While I can't speak to the relative financial aid, one of my friends is an MIDP candidate on the fulbright scholarship with plans to return to a country where the salaries are also not comparable. 

On your list of concerns: 

1) Don't worry about it. I also had a 161Q score, and anything above a 160 is pretty ok. 

2) Already having an MPP isn't a problem as long as you're able to justify why Duke and why an additional degree would help now. This might be another reason to go for the MIDP program. 

3) I asked for 2 academic and 1 professional. I think your guiding light here is just to ask folks who can best speak to your ability to succeed at and after grad school. 

4) You're competitive, and Duke is relatively generous. That said, I would apply to a variety of schools and compare aid packages after the acceptances roll in. 

@datik

There's a pretty high likelihood that I'll get my PhD, but I'm in the minority of students (about 10% of Sanford MPPs go on to get PhDs). The majority of folks in my cohort will go on to either 1) Consulting 2) State/Local Government 3) Federal Government (3 might be more than 2 in a normal year, but the current administration makes the federal government less appealing to many). Duke places very well into all three buckets. Others will go into non-profit or foundation work. A very small minority have it all "figured out" even if they seem to after the first conversation. We're in grad school -- if we had it all "figured out", we wouldn't be open to the terrific possibilities available to us. 

@abnimbal-MPP

You're a tweener candidate (there's a possibility you'll get in, but I don't know if it's probable). Still, you should definitely apply and make it clear in your SOP not only why an MPP, but why Sanford in particular. 

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks for doing this!

1. I'm keen on applying but I have a terrible GPA. I graduated engineering from India (in 2011), and since I have taken stats for grade (A+), and will soon start micro and macro. Also my GRE is 323 (166q/157v) and have about 4 years of work ex in the sector. What do you think my chances are? My GPA sucks and theres nothing I can do about it, but I've tried to make up for it. How do you think the adcom would look at the GPA from someone with my background?

2. Like you said no one should be paying for the degree, what are the scholarship chances for international students? Are they the same as every other student? 

3. As an international applicant from India, how hard is it find a job in the states after graduating? I know private sector jobs are not easy to come by since the lottery and everything, but what about jobs with multilaterals like the UN, WB etc?

1. Not knowing what constitutes terrible in your eyes, I'd say your GPA will matter less than you think for a few reasons: A. Different field -- GPA is a measure of past performance. Whether it is a good indicator of future performance is predicated on the similarities of the work involved. My brother is an engineer, and let me tell you,  public policy and engineering are worlds away. B. Time -- It may feel like you're a recent graduate, but you'll be a little older than the median (by a 1-3 years). That means your GPA will matter less than for other folks in the cohort. C. International Status -- It's difficult for adcomms to know what your GPA represents. Standardized tests are very helpful in these cases; your GRE is very good. 

You mentioned you worked "in the sector." Are you referring to Engineering or PubPol? Either way, make it seem like it will apply to what you want to do in Public Policy. You're an above average candidate, and your quant skills will help. 

2. No one should go into six-figure debt, but almost everyone will go into some debt. My rule of thumb is do an expected value calculation of salary post-graduation and make sure your total debt is less than that. In terms of aid, I'm fairly certain it's harder to get scholarship/assistantship money if you're an international student, but don't quote me. That said, Duke seems very competitive in terms of bringing in international students compared to other major American public policy schools.

3. Recognize your job prospects will be much more limited than American-citizen MPPs (it sounds like you do) unless you don't have a geographic preference. That is, unless you're willing to live anywhere in the world. Jobs with the prestigious multilaterals are tough, but you could definitely get a job with one of them, with one of the lesser-known ones, or with an NGO, depending on your interests, expertise, etc. Because both 2 and 3 are in many ways linked, think about them together. There are no guarantees. What kind of risks are you willing to take?  It sounds like you could be a very promising applicant if you choose to move forward. 

17 hours ago, makingtheleap.back said:

You mentioned you worked "in the sector." Are you referring to Engineering or PubPol? Either way, make it seem like it will apply to what you want to do in Public Policy. You're an above average candidate, and your quant skills will help. 

PubPol. For the past two and a half years I worked with a think tank and now I'm going for a year long fellowship in a rural area of India to work with a Member of Parliament. 

17 hours ago, makingtheleap.back said:

3. Recognize your job prospects will be much more limited than American-citizen MPPs (it sounds like you do) unless you don't have a geographic preference. That is, unless you're willing to live anywhere in the world. Jobs with the prestigious multilaterals are tough, but you could definitely get a job with one of them, with one of the lesser-known ones, or with an NGO, depending on your interests, expertise, etc. Because both 2 and 3 are in many ways linked, think about them together. There are no guarantees. What kind of risks are you willing to take?  It sounds like you could be a very promising applicant if you choose to move forward. 

I don't have any geographic preference honestly. But if I have to take a loan out or the degree, I really need to be working in the US. If not, then I'd love to work anywhere in the world. Is the Sanford's reputation worldwide or is it generally very well regarded only in the US? I'd really want to stay away from risks right now because I'm almost nearing 30 and want to pay as less as possible for this degree. It's the sole reason I chose not to apply this year and wait until August 2018 to apply.

Another question I've wanted to ask you was regarding the programme. What do you think about Sanford's MPP curriculum? Is it a practical curriculum? What are its strengths and weaknesses compared to other schools? What do they emphasise on?

Finally, can you please tell me the difference between the MIDP and the MPP programmes? What does the MIDP teach that the MPP doesn't and vice-versa?

PS: Thanks for this, man! Great help!

Cool! Good luck with the fellowship, seems like a great opportunity. 

Duke's reputation is pretty terrific worldwide; though it doesn't have quite the pull of a Harvard or Princeton. The alumni network is also a little more US-centric (although the MIDP program does help with that quite a bit). Staying away from risks makes sense, and you'll have a lot more information in March after acceptances. Overall, if you are able to get a full-ride or close to full-ride at Duke, it sounds like you'll be positioned to do what you want moving forward in your career. 

The curriculum is probably a little more academic than some of the other programs (Georgetown, Harvard) and more on par with Chicago Harris. That said, if you're interested in Social/Urban/Energy/Environmental policy, you're in really good shape. Sanford is also really improving its IR program, with a focus on "Grand Strategy." There's a huge emphasis on practical knowledge, however, and lots of opportunities to do consulting projects for course credit or on the side. Everyone also leaves the program with at least one internship/work experience. 

MIDP focuses on International Development. MPP students are allowed to take MIDP classes and vice versa, but the MIDP program is much more focused and has much less room for exploration. It's also more of a mid-career program than the MPP. 

• 2 months later...

Hi makingtheleap.back,

Thanks so much for your post!

I wanted to ask about your perspective on studying at Sanford and what the potential career paths are. My long term goals are either working in a Latin America oriented think tank/development bank or pursuing academia through a PhD in public policy or political science, with a focus on international development.

I got into U Chicago-Harris with about half of the funding I received from Sanford, so I am still considering where I should go, since Harris is more conducive towards a career in international development. It’s hard to turn down the generous funding at Sanford, but I am also thinking about the long term career paths that would stem from studying at Harris vs. Sanford.

How internationally oriented is the Sanford MPP program? I know there is an India summer program, but beyond that, is the MPP curriculum mostly focused on domestic US policy? As an international applicant, this is a really important factor in the decision.  

Does Sanford have a strong quantitative emphasis (i.e. STATA, econometrics, research design, program evaluation, etc.)?

Do many students pursue PhDs after graduating from Sanford? If so, what fields do they go into?  

Thanks again for all the useful information!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, makingtheleap.back said:

Hey y'all. 

Gradcafe was helpful to me during the applications/admissions seasons; I wanted to set up a thread where folks can ask about Sanford specifically. I'm a first-year MPP. 

Thank you for offering up your experience and time for us, makingtheleap.back. I got my acceptance email this afternoon, and I'm really excited about the prospect of being able to come to Sanford. I visited for a day back in late November and talked to a couple students, but I didn't get tot talk to career services or meet many faculty. I am primarily interested in public health policy, particularly mental health, addiction, sexual health, and healthcare delivery.

I know that Sanford has been promoting the strengths in healthcare policy, and I was really hoping to get one of the Margolis Scholarships. Since that didn't happen, I'm suddenly feeling a bit anxious about whether you sense health policy and management is a strength at Sanford, since you didn't list in in the post you wrote in January. I'd like to work for academic research hospitals, state departments of health, or maybe boutique consulting with the right focus. Does this seem like a path to pursue at Sanford?

I want to echo what Arturo asked about your sense of MPPs interested in further study. I might want to pursue a PhD in health policy specifically before I go out into practice, and the faculty/student ratio seems to support that ambition. Thanks again for your time!

Hello all,

I just got accepted into MIDP program, and waitlisted at MPP program. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Should I wait for MPP or go ahead with MIDP? I am a 28 year old, with 5 years of overall work experience, but only 1 year in the public sector; so ideally I'd like to be in a program more suited for younger students looking at foraying into the public sector rather than a program for mid-career professionals. However, I am more interested in doing work more internationally, and in the developing nations. Please let me know what you guys think.