Hello lovely people, 

Anyone know of English literature scholars or programs interested in avant-garde and radical drama?

Anything from Artaud, Beckett, and Brecht to more contemporary playwrights like Joan Brossa and Susan-Lori Parks. I am most interested in finding a program with a strong emphasis on theory (especially psychoanalysis and contemporary Marxism).

The programs currently on my list include Boston University, Washington University in St. Louis, Pennsylvania State, Columbia University, Rutgers, University of Illinois at Chicago,  Purdue, University of Pittsburgh, and Northwestern.  

If you have any schools you'd suggest adding or removing, I'd love to hear your input.  

❤️

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to consider Indiana University Bloomington. I went there for my undergrad and I took courses that covered all of the playwrights you mentioned as well as courses on psychoanalysis. The best way to do it would probably be through a joint or dual program between the Theatre program and Gender Studies program. I'm not sure if you can do that, but it's worth looking into.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for these responses.

JessicaLange--I got buried in school and applications. I need one more school, so I'll check out IU Bloomington. And if I don't get in this round of apps, I'm applying to comp/lit programs. But I'll check out gender studies/theatre as well. 

chalkdust--I follow Lacan. Since I wrote this post I've become interest in the language of traumatized characters in theater and how language engages the unconscious. 

33 minutes ago, communistswine said:

Thank you so much for these responses.

JessicaLange--I got buried in school and applications. I need one more school, so I'll check out IU Bloomington. And if I don't get in this round of apps, I'm applying to comp/lit programs. But I'll check out gender studies/theatre as well. 

chalkdust--I follow Lacan. Since I wrote this post I've become interest in the language of traumatized characters in theater and how language engages the unconscious. 

University of Florida's deadline is January 15th. They have a "Literature and Psychology" graduate track for the English PHD. They also have a "Theory Studies" track and an "Individualized" track if you were interested in either.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on your specific interests, WashU might be a good fit for you:
(https://english.wustl.edu/browse)

"Scholars in the English department approach the study of gender and sexuality from the perspectives of history, theory, biography, psychoanalysis, and global politics.  We work in periods from the medieval to the contemporary; in genres including poetry, drama, the novel, and film; and in American, British, Irish, and European contexts.  Our teaching and research cover a range of topics: medieval women’s writing, premodern sexualities, early modern women’s labor and commodity consumption, life writing, histories of second-wave feminism, the “traffic in women,” housework, feminism and globalization, theories of embodiment, and sexual difference.  We are closely associated with the program in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and many of our graduate students choose to pursue certificates in this field."