Letters of Recommendation

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how long it took your letters of recommendation to be completed from the time you requested them? I'm sort of worried because two faculty members agreed to write my letters and once I requested them through CSDCAS, one letter was completed right away and the other one still says "requested". It's only been like 3 days since I requested so it's probably not a big deal but I thought I'd ask on here anyway!

Thanks!!

Take a breath and relax. All faculty are different. I had one this season who finished all of her letters within 2 weeks of request (in September) because she had to have all her stuff done by Dec 15th (for personal reasons). Another writer is super busy and did them all over a series of 4 weeks (usually on the weekend). My third likes to turn them in on the day they're due. I just send her reminders a couple weeks from the deadline and it's all good. 

I had two of the three recommenders send them back within the first couple days of the request and then my other one took about two emails and reminders for him to reply and say he was so sorry! Mine was due on the 13th and about 20 days and a week before the deadline I sent out reminders.

They're busy and I would send out a gentle reminder if the deadline starts approaching :) 

I wouldn't worry so much about yours though!

Hope this helps!

Edited by MegCalh7606

Depends on the person writing your letters. I know I definitely had to remind my professors as they forgot but I also expressed to them that I wanted to get in my applications earlier. I gave my recommenders a schedule of when applications were due so they knew ahead of time. Try and be patient and remember they are helping you out! I think I gave my recommenders a month and if nothing happened I sent them a reminder. 

Hello everybody,

I have a follow-up question about letters of recommendation in the CSDCAS system... for one of my recommenders, the status is "Completed" and for another it says "Accepted" - what is the distinction between these two statuses? Have they both submitted their evaluations, or just the person whose status is "completed"?

6 hours ago, Rowboat47 said:

Hello everybody,

I have a follow-up question about letters of recommendation in the CSDCAS system... for one of my recommenders, the status is "Completed" and for another it says "Accepted" - what is the distinction between these two statuses? Have they both submitted their evaluations, or just the person whose status is "completed"?

They have probably both submitted their letters, but sounds like one has been accepted and reviewed to make sure it's submitted correctly (probably the one that says "completed") and the other has not been reviewed (the one that says "accepted"). I wouldn't worry about it! :)