Anyone in I.R. hear anything yet?

BonAppetit

Do you mind me asking which school in DC? The area has had so much snow in such a short span that even the government was closed for an entire week!

Yes, it was George Washington. That was the last communication I've received from them, though! And to be honest, I can't even remember when they said they would make a decision by. I'm also waiting to hear from American -- short of them telling me "thanks for your application check!" I haven't heard anything from them, either. However, in looking at the results page, it looks like no one else has heard from them, either, so I'm not getting too nervous - yet.

Yes, it was George Washington. That was the last communication I've received from them, though! And to be honest, I can't even remember when they said they would make a decision by. I'm also waiting to hear from American -- short of them telling me "thanks for your application check!" I haven't heard anything from them, either. However, in looking at the results page, it looks like no one else has heard from them, either, so I'm not getting too nervous - yet.

Hi BonAppetit! :)

Right on, I looked at the results page as well, and it seems like American applicants hear rather late in the game. Their website also says they usually send out their results in mid-march. So, let's not fret yet...at least not too much. If that's possible. If it gets to be April with no word, then I'll be a little more worried. What program did you apply to at American? Is GWU your top choice? Have you had a chance to visit either campus?

Hi BonAppetit! smile.gif

Right on, I looked at the results page as well, and it seems like American applicants hear rather late in the game. Their website also says they usually send out their results in mid-march. So, let's not fret yet...at least not too much. If that's possible. If it gets to be April with no word, then I'll be a little more worried. What program did you apply to at American? Is GWU your top choice? Have you had a chance to visit either campus?

Hi Blue~

Yes. AND I just got an email from them GW this morning stating that they have the largest pool of applicants ever (surprise surprise) and that they expect decisions at the END of March, now. When I saw who the email was from I got excited -- until realizing it was just a form letter smile.gif

GW isn't my top choice, actually. I'm more interested in American (Int'l communication) and, above all, Syracuse (public diplomacy). However, GW has some regional coursework/study abroad options that appealed to me more than the others, so I decided to go ahead and apply there as well.

I haven't been able to visit any of the campuses yet, as we just moved back to the US about a month ago. Have you done any visits?

Edited by BonAppetit

Hi Blue~

Yes. AND I just got an email from them GW this morning stating that they have the largest pool of applicants ever (surprise surprise) and that they expect decisions at the END of March, now. When I saw who the email was from I got excited -- until realizing it was just a form letter smile.gif

GW isn't my top choice, actually. I'm more interested in American (Int'l communication) and, above all, Syracuse (public diplomacy). However, GW has some regional coursework/study abroad options that appealed to me more than the others, so I decided to go ahead and apply there as well.

I haven't been able to visit any of the campuses yet, as we just moved back to the US about a month ago. Have you done any visits?

Bon --

Ugh! Don't you just hate how schools get our hopes up like that?! Don't they know we're practically running around like chickens with our heads off by now?! On the upside, at the very least, you know that you're still in the running, and you have heard from the school! Much better than sending emails and getting no response. :)

I didn't apply to GW because I thought it was so far out of my league. American is already a huge reach for me. American's International Communication track looked amazing. I contemplated pursuing that or Foreign Policy, but opted for the latter. I haven't been able to do any campus visits either, although I have an interview this weekend at TAMU. My family used to live in Virginia, and my brother lives in DC -- he has good things to say about American, the campus, and as well as the general DC area, especially the nightlife. Haha.

Where did you just move from?

Wait listed at Columbia SIPA, still waiting on UCSD IR/PS

ah I got waitlisted at SIPA too! I searched a bit on their blog to see if they had the old post about how the waitlist works for them- so here's the link in case you're interested :)http://rtl.lamp.colu...ration-at-sipa/

Anyway, I applied to two MPP programs and the rest were IR ones... it'll be nice to hear back from the others!

Edited by RunnINcircles

Thanks, I saw that...I've been scouring for some information about how many people they typically place on the wait list, but no such luck.

EDIT: what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by gazelle

Would you guys mind posting your stats and where you applied? I realize they already have that "positives" thread going but that isn't really relevant to people in our study area which is much more focused than the general applicant pool.

( I feel like if I realize that I don't have much as far as anything outstanding in my own stats that I'm going to take the inevitable rejection much better than if I thought I ever actually had a chance. )

If not and this is already nerve-wracking enough as it is then I understand.

ah I got waitlisted at SIPA too! I searched a bit on their blog to see if they had the old post about how the waitlist works for them- so here's the link in case you're interested :)http://rtl.lamp.colu...ration-at-sipa/

Anyway, I applied to two MPP programs and the rest were IR ones... it'll be nice to hear back from the others!

They posted pretty much the same exact thing today, March 8th: http://rtl.lamp.columbia.edu/sites/sipa/.

Maybe you can find some key differences in the two posts to glean more information.

I am still in absolute SIPA purgatory. I haven't received any sort of decision yet. My wife, however, was put on the waitlist on Friday. *sigh*

I just heard back from Denver Korbel, but their admissions has always been rolling.

This is the first school I heard from and I was disappointed to be weight listed for their MDP. I reckoned Korbel would be my easiest win. So much for grad school!

After mulling over the email as I got up this morning, I decided to check the email again. I was weightlisted for the MDP, but would be admitted to the MA in Intl Dev if I didn't get off the weight list. Huh?

I reviewed the app I submitted. Turns out I planned on applying to the Intl Dev master's, but accidentally checked MDP on the application sheet. Doh! However I state very clearly, twice, in my SOP that I’m applying for the Intl Dev MA and wrote my SOP accordingly.

So I guess this means they “caught” my error and decided to “let me in” despite my frak up. In reviewing my app I also think I left the SOP question from one of my other schools as the header of Denver’s SOP. Doh! Doh!

For all of those out there applying for 2011: THIS IS WHY YOU DON’T WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO FILE YOUR APP!

Still waiting to hear from SAIS, SIPA, GW and SIS.

Edited by carpecc

I just heard back from Denver Korbel, but their admissions has always been rolling.

This is the first school I heard from and I was disappointed to be weight listed for their MDP. I reckoned Korbel would be my easiest win. So much for grad school!

After mulling over the email as I got up this morning, I decided to check the email again. I was weightlisted for the MDP, but would be admitted to the MA in Intl Dev if I didn't get off the weight list. Huh?

I reviewed the app I submitted. Turns out I planned on applying to the Intl Dev master's, but accidentally checked MDP on the application sheet. Doh! However I state very clearly, twice, in my SOP that I’m applying for the Intl Dev MA and wrote my SOP accordingly.

So I guess this means they “caught” my error and decided to “let me in” despite my frak up. In reviewing my app I also think I left the SOP question from one of my other schools as the header of Denver’s SOP. Doh! Doh!

For all of those out there applying for 2011: THIS IS WHY YOU DON’T WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO FILE YOUR APP!

Still waiting to hear from SAIS, SIPA, GW and SIS.

Actually if you read their admissions FAQ it says that if you submit your app for the MDP and are not accepted that you will automatically be considered for the MA. Congrats on getting into Korbel. Maybe I'll see you there in the Fall.

Has anyone received a REJECTION yet from Korbel? I doubt that they've sent any out since they are rolling admissions. More likely that you would get a rejection in late March/early April. I'm wondering how competitive Korbel admissions actually are. At this point, it doesn't seem that they are very competitive.

Good luck on SIPA. I am still waiting to hear from them too.

NSSR sends out the first batch of letters tomorrow...so while I have been waiting, the real waiting does not start until tomorrow. Sigh.

Well, NSSR usually sends email decisions in addition to priority mail snail mail so you may hear something sooner rather than later. They do it for rejections as well as acceptances. Unlike some other schools, they do at least consider people they are rejecting by letting them know of their status and not just leave them hanging with instructions (or not) to check some website.

Thanks for that tip! I'm not sure it will help my compulsive checking of the website/email/results pages here (laugh.gif) but that is good info nonetheless!

I saw in the results from last year that people were notified via email...since I have received application related email since I've applied, I hope I can expect the same with an admit/reject.

Sooner-than-later would be nice...I need to plan moving arrangements and my fiancée will need to start job searching a little more hardcore. Sigh.

*tick tock tick tock*

Just got the reject from Yale IR. My stats were 770/640/5 3.5gpa 2yrs working with International defense company, several internships with the White House and State Depts, fluent in 4 languages. I don't know who the F they are accepting but it must be pretty close to Jesus himself. God help us all and good luck to you guys.

Just got the reject from Yale IR. My stats were 770/640/5 3.5gpa 2yrs working with International defense company, several internships with the White House and State Depts, fluent in 4 languages. I don't know who the F they are accepting but it must be pretty close to Jesus himself. God help us all and good luck to you guys.

Let me preface what I am about to say with: this is not funny at all. However you made me laugh because I'm pretty sure you might be close to the talent of Jesus on paper....so in all seriousness who the hell are they accepting!??!

Or, not to be a dick, perhaps you wrote a less-than-stellar SoP thinking you were already a shoo-in (which is the impression I get), or had bad LORs. Or perhaps you just didn't fit the program as well as you thought, or as well as they wanted. Again, not to be a dick, but there's more to it than just numbers. Two years work experience is also going to be below the average, and if you graduated college in 4 years and have only 2 years of work experience, that also would make you younger than the average applicant, and could possibly cause them to worry that you haven't matured enough. The rejection sucks and I'm sorry to hear it, but with your strong stats I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else good.

Me on the other hand, I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for IR/PS, which has been sending standard deadline notifications since at least Feb. 25th.