Social Cognitive Neuroscience

Hi,

I haven't seen any posts on social cognitive neuroscience although some topics have been mentione dunder the umbrella of Cognitive neuroscience. Thought it was time to start one. I'm particularly interested in human morality, affect, and moral decision making. Is any one else here interested in these types of social/ cognitive topics from a neuro angle? Anyone here read Oschner, Phelps, Young, and/ or Greene?

I've applied to:

Columbia

UPenn

Harvard

Don't think i'm getting in at this point since i haven't gotten a call back. Anyone get into these programs for social cognitive research? If so, you should share your secrets for us poor interested, but rejected folks!

Hi,

I haven't seen any posts on social cognitive neuroscience although some topics have been mentione dunder the umbrella of Cognitive neuroscience. Thought it was time to start one. I'm particularly interested in human morality, affect, and moral decision making. Is any one else here interested in these types of social/ cognitive topics from a neuro angle? Anyone here read Oschner, Phelps, Young, and/ or Greene?

I've applied to:

Columbia

UPenn

Harvard

Don't think i'm getting in at this point since i haven't gotten a call back. Anyone get into these programs for social cognitive research? If so, you should share your secrets for us poor interested, but rejected folks!

I also applied to Harvard to work with Greene. He is taking 1 student, but had a ton of people apply to work with him (over 50). I spoke with him and they were not done reviewing applications 2 weeks ago (though don't know if they are done now). So I wouldn't count Harvard out just yet.

I am surprised, however, that you only applied to those 3 programs considering that they are 3 of the most competitive in existence. Either you were extremely confident, incredibly specific in advisors, or didn't realize how cut throat admission is at these institutions/programs. Regardless, good luck!

I also applied to Harvard to work with Greene. He is taking 1 student, but had a ton of people apply to work with him (over 50). I spoke with him and they were not done reviewing applications 2 weeks ago (though don't know if they are done now). So I wouldn't count Harvard out just yet.

I am surprised, however, that you only applied to those 3 programs considering that they are 3 of the most competitive in existence. Either you were extremely confident, incredibly specific in advisors, or didn't realize how cut throat admission is at these institutions/programs. Regardless, good luck!

Hmm I'm glad you're getting this info from the man himself. I e-mailed the secretary and she thought the short list was already made by last week, but one never knows. It's actually exciting that he got 50+ applications to work with him. I'm glad his work is getting so much attention and that there are people who want to do this kind of research.

As for only applying to three, trust me I don't suffer from over confidence or ignorance of just how cut-throat all of this is. The real reason I applied to these and only these was knowledge of specific researchers and time. Even doing just these three applications was heinus with a 70 hour work week and several other factors. Let's just say i got a few grey hairs...but i'm guessing i'm not the only one.

Anyway, good luck to you! What are your research questions and curiosities you're hoping to work with? What other schools/ researchers would you suggest i read up on? It's always nice hear from other people who are into the same stuff.

Thanks!

Hi folks, for what it's worth, I'm one of the Greene 50, but an outside shot. All interviews etc. are apparently completed, with final decisions to be made and notified in the first week of March.

Best of luck to you all.

Oh pooh for me. Did anyone here happen to get an interview? I'll be applying next year as well, hopefully with a less demanding schedule...

On 2/25/2010 at 11:56 AM, AffectDecisionsandMorality said:

Money is most definitely a factor so i don't blame you. But Ddn't give up! We need more social cog researchers! What are your research interests? Which schools did you apply to?

i'm too old and have too much debt. i may try again next year but i'm sure i will be less excited about it. i wanted to work on self control, inhibiting automatic impulses, regulating bias, that kind of thing.

i applied to:

Berkeley

PSU

Columbia

UVA

UGA

U. Chicago

NYU

UCLA

WashU

Texas

Hi,

I've applied to:

Columbia

UPenn

Harvard

I'm another poor guy without any interview regarding my social neuroscience application.... I've applied Ochsner too, and also:

Chicago(Caccioppo) UVA(James Coan) OSU(Cunningham) Dartmouth NYU(Van Bavel) TAMU U-Wisconsin UOregon BC

During my application I was told that social neuroscience has a very fierce competition, so I also applied other cognitive neuroscience programs. Fortunately I did it and got an offer, although my favorate is social neuroscience...well, an offer is better than nothing@_@

On 2/26/2010 at 10:11 PM, nadasurfing said:

i'm too old and have too much debt. i may try again next year but i'm sure i will be less excited about it. i wanted to work on self control, inhibiting automatic impulses, regulating bias, that kind of thing.

i applied to:

Berkeley

PSU

Columbia

UVA

UGA

U. Chicago

NYU

UCLA

WashU

Texas

Whom have you applied to work with in U Chicago and NYU? It is said that very year there are over 100 people applying to Caccioppo in Chicago...

UCLA-Lieberman?

I'm another poor guy without any interview regarding my social neuroscience application.... I've applied Ochsner too, and also:

Chicago(Caccioppo) UVA(James Coan) OSU(Cunningham) Dartmouth NYU(Van Bavel) TAMU U-Wisconsin UOregon BC

During my application I was told that social neuroscience has a very fierce competition, so I also applied other cognitive neuroscience programs. Fortunately I did it and got an offer, although my favorate is social neuroscience...well, an offer is better than nothing@_@

Hmmmm, I have always known that the psych neuroscience programs were pretty cut throat, but had no idea that social neuroscience was particularly hard. Congrats on getting into a cog neuro program! Where did you get in? You know this time around I was very very specific on who I wanted to work with, but the more I think about it any good program with knowledgeable advisors and the right funds/ equipments can get you to were you want to be. And of course there is always the postbac.

Once again, congrats!

Hmmmm, I have always known that the psych neuroscience programs were pretty cut throat, but had no idea that social neuroscience was particularly hard. Congrats on getting into a cog neuro program! Where did you get in? You know this time around I was very very specific on who I wanted to work with, but the more I think about it any good program with knowledgeable advisors and the right funds/ equipments can get you to were you want to be. And of course there is always the postbac.

Once again, congrats!

Thank you, and good luck to you, too! ~

Well, don't be nervous on what I have said. My situation is a little different. I have a nearly submitted cognitive neuroscience research, so applying cognitive neuroscience is natural for me. But I think I like social topics more so I applied social neuroscience(I took classes and read papers; one of my recommender is a good social neuroscience researcher ). I'm not so specific with my intended research topic...emotion, empathy, intergroup relation, self, loneliness, theory of mind...all ok. All of these topics I have read several papers, but not specific to one of them.

Another thing make my application of social neuroscience cut throat is that I'm an international student and Eng. is my second language...and a not decent GRE score. Social psychology programs take up international students much less than cognitive, from what I see these years.

Now I'm admitted to USC cognitive, thanks to them I won't need to wait another year, tears~TT

Keep in touch with the facaulty if you know well that you want to work with him and you love what he is doing. I believe your confidence and determination will pass you to your most wanted schools. Don't be frustrated. just do whatever you can to win the professor and applicationsmile.gif

Thank you, and good luck to you, too! ~

Well, don't be nervous on what I have said. My situation is a little different. I have a nearly submitted cognitive neuroscience research, so applying cognitive neuroscience is natural for me. But I think I like social topics more so I applied social neuroscience(I took classes and read papers; one of my recommender is a good social neuroscience researcher ). I'm not so specific with my intended research topic...emotion, empathy, intergroup relation, self, loneliness, theory of mind...all ok. All of these topics I have read several papers, but not specific to one of them.

Another thing make my application of social neuroscience cut throat is that I'm an international student and Eng. is my second language...and a not decent GRE score. Social psychology programs take up international students much less than cognitive, from what I see these years.

Now I'm admitted to USC cognitive, thanks to them I won't need to wait another year, tears~TT

Keep in touch with the facaulty if you know well that you want to work with him and you love what he is doing. I believe your confidence and determination will pass you to your most wanted schools. Don't be frustrated. just do whatever you can to win the professor and applicationsmile.gif

Thank you for all of your information and encouragement! You have definitely conquered many boundaries. UCS is a good school and they are lucky to have you. I will follow your advice and make contact with the teachers now. Hopefully all of that will pay off and i will be a grad student like you next year.

Thank you for all of your information and encouragement! You have definitely conquered many boundaries. UCS is a good school and they are lucky to have you. I will follow your advice and make contact with the teachers now. Hopefully all of that will pay off and i will be a grad student like you next year.

Good Luck again! !

its so great to see so many people are interested in social neuroscience:)

I AM TOO wink.gif

Good to hear.And I see that you got in to a lot of places so congrats!

What are your main research interests? Where did you apply/ get accepted to? I'm interested in knowing what schools and PhDs I should be researching in the next few months before I start my application again, so this would be a great help.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i'm interested in social cognitive neuroscience also :)

i'm going to work in a social neuroimaging lab this lab to make sure i like it though.

i saw some posts about people worried about money. i have financial concerns also, are social cognitive neuro programs funded? i thought most of them were..

i'm interested in social cognitive neuroscience also :)

i'm going to work in a social neuroimaging lab this lab to make sure i like it though.

i saw some posts about people worried about money. i have financial concerns also, are social cognitive neuro programs funded? i thought most of them were..

hi neuropsych,

I wouldn't really worry about funding too much... while specific details of financial packages vary depending on what school and program area you apply to (I haven't seen too many social cog neuro programs per se, you will likely be applying to a couple different types of programs), I get the impression that most all psych PhD programs are funded (tuition remission + stipend).

• 1 month later...

Have you looked into the Duke Program in Cognitive Neuroscience? They are the only university I know of with a department specifically for cognitive neuro. They also have the department of psychology and neuroscience with an area in cognitive neuro, but those are two separate programs.

Duke CN

Duke Psy/Neuro

Also, U Texas at Austin has an excellent department of psychology with a "cognitive systems" area. I know they do some research in social neuro.

UT Cognitive Systems

Have you looked into the Duke Program in Cognitive Neuroscience? They are the only university I know of with a department specifically for cognitive neuro. They also have the department of psychology and neuroscience with an area in cognitive neuro, but those are two separate programs.

Duke CN

Duke Psy/Neuro

Also, U Texas at Austin has an excellent department of psychology with a "cognitive systems" area. I know they do some research in social neuro.

UT Cognitive Systems

Thank you for the info!

I have heard of Duke but I haven't looked into it that much. I'll surf the links you provided. Do you think the Psy/Neuro program would be better fitted for psychology majors?

Thank you for the info!

I have heard of Duke but I haven't looked into it that much. I'll surf the links you provided. Do you think the Psy/Neuro program would be better fitted for psychology majors?

Not necessarily. They're both very good for psychology graduates. If you read the description for the CN program, it is quite unique in that it requires you to affiliate with a relevant department (e.g. Psychology and Neuroscience), and it requires you to choose secondary department as well. You then get two advisers, one from each department. Personally, I like that approach a lot. By its very nature, cognitive neuroscience is an interdisciplinary field, so I think it would be very useful to study it from two different angles and to work with two different professionals in the field.

Basically, if you love the interdisciplinary approach, then the CN program is better for you. If you'd rather just have one adviser and a more straight-forward coursework, then the Psy/Neuro program is probably better.

Not necessarily. They're both very good for psychology graduates. If you read the description for the CN program, it is quite unique in that it requires you to affiliate with a relevant department (e.g. Psychology and Neuroscience), and it requires you to choose secondary department as well. You then get two advisers, one from each department. Personally, I like that approach a lot. By its very nature, cognitive neuroscience is an interdisciplinary field, so I think it would be very useful to study it from two different angles and to work with two different professionals in the field.

Basically, if you love the interdisciplinary approach, then the CN program is better for you. If you'd rather just have one adviser and a more straight-forward coursework, then the Psy/Neuro program is probably better.

Thank you again for the info! I guess I was just concerned because the CN program requires taking neurobiology and I don't have much of a biology background (one biology course).

Thank you again for the info! I guess I was just concerned because the CN program requires taking neurobiology and I don't have much of a biology background (one biology course).

No problem. I'm in the same situation as you. I only have one Bio course under my belt, but I have taken some Psy courses involving biology, and I have done a lot of reading to teach myself the relevant neuroscience. However, you won't be expected to know much neuroscience when you get to grad school. You'll take courses for functional neuroanatomy and neuroimaging (the areas most relevant to cog neuro).

What I've found is that there are four ways to approach studying neuroscience:

Biology departments - focus on cellular and molecular neuro

Neuroscience departments - trains you in the breadth of neuro

Psychology deparments - focus on cognitive and behavioral neuro

Cognitive Science departments (rare) - focus on cognitive and computational neuro (as well as computer science, philosophy, and other approaches)

In your case, assuming you are like me, you should be most interested in applying to psychology and cog sci departments. They don't expect you to come in with a lot of Bio. However, the general neuroscience (and obviously the biology) programs require a certain amount of Bio coursework.

All of this I've gathered just by searching online.