Online Economics Courses

tharr011

Does anyone have suggestions for online micro/macro economics courses that schools accept? I have little quantitative experience and want to strengthen my application (SAIS, SIPA, Fletcher, Elliott). I currently live in China so they have to be completely online. Many of the online courses I have seen require in person tests. Also, do you think its ok that I will not have completed the course buy the time I submit my application?

Hey there! I took Macroeconomics online through Erie Community College (in NY), and all the tests were delivered online and open book. It cost about $1500 if I remember correctly, which is a lot cheaper than many of the others I found. Highly recommend!

However, I wouldn't spend the money taking the course if you won't have a grade to submit with your application by the deadline. Admissions committees want to see that you can succeed in grad-level quant courses. Just showing that you're willing to take the course won't add to your app, and will end up being a waste of money. I actually spoke with an admissions rep at SIPA about this before I picked my course- I'd contacted them to see if they had recommendations for which course to take, and the person I spoke to specifically said that it was a great way to bolster minimal quant experience but they would want to see the grade.

• 2 weeks later...

I did online community college coures through a couple of local community colleges: De Anza College and Foothill College. Foothill College in the springtime is particularly nice because they have certain six-week compacted courses in microeconomics and macroeconomics. 

• 1 month later...

I created and teach the online microeconomics and macroeconomics courses offered through the UCLA Extension. The courses are based on my classroom version and supplemented with my YouTube lecture videos and optional synchronous office hours. Each course has two exams which are proctored virtually. Both courses are approved for transfer within the UC system and this is the reason for the proctored exams. 

A very large percentage of my students are headed graduate programs, either having already been accepted or working on their applications. The most common programs are public policy and international affairs followed by MBA's. Sometimes there are 3-4 students who discover they'll later be part of the same cohort in graduate school. Recent graduate school destinations more generally are Duke, Georgetown, American University, MIT, UChicago (Harris). 

As you can imagine, having a really talented group of students enhances the experience for everyone--myself included--and leads to very lively (asynchronous) discussions in class!

On 18/02/2018 at 10:12 AM, Daddy-O said:

Are these structured weekly or self paced?

Hi,

I'm one of the students who's currently enrolled in Micro and Macro at UCLA Extension. These are structured courses wherein each week you'll have to read chapter or two. Based on the readings, you'll have an assignment and a quiz. In addition to that, you'll have to post discussions in the forum with other people. There are also midterms and a final exams which are proctored online which is hassle free. Hope that helps!