When should I start to panic with no interview invite

ambiencr123

Interview weekends are usually through February and early march. Many of the programs post official interview dates. Given that, interview invitations are extended December and even through February. It'll totally depend on the school you're applying to but also by the program within the school. no need to start freaking out until Feb/march!

I'm sure you will get several interviews from the 20 you applied to!!

I heard someone said if the schools to which you are applying have deadlines like 12/1 they will finish the reviewing/screening process at least before christmas holiday. (I'm an applicant for neuroscience programs and the person who said it also is)

can this be true...? I just can't stop thinking over it. Nervous to death. *tears beark out*

I'm an international applicant so I know my chances are thinner than those of domestics and this is killing me..

Many programs with a deadline of 12/1 try to finish the review process before Christmas because the time between Christmas and New Years can be a dead period. But that doesn’t mean they’ll send out all invites as soon as the review is complete. Sometimes they’ll invite the top tier applicants, see who accepts the invite, and then work from there. 

Don’t fret too much yet. If you don’t have any by the second week of January then start to worry. 

Edited by Neuro15

On 12/15/2017 at 8:30 PM, MaddiePK said:

I heard someone said if the schools to which you are applying have deadlines like 12/1 they will finish the reviewing/screening process at least before christmas holiday. (I'm an applicant for neuroscience programs and the person who said it also is)

can this be true...? I just can't stop thinking over it. Nervous to death. *tears beark out*

I'm an international applicant so I know my chances are thinner than those of domestics and this is killing me..

I'm also a neuro kid applying this year, and from what I can tell, some send out in December, but others are later (for example Stanford has on their website that the earliest they'll send interview invites is 8 January 2018). Try not to stress out too much friendo! It's a long time to be on edge though :/ But I'd say don't start to panic unless you get to end of January and haven't heard ANYTHING.

Edited by eevee

3 minutes ago, bioPhDhopeful said:

do you mind if I ask when/which program you received your University Washington interview for?  @eevee

They emailed me around 5 EDT on the 13th, it's for the Graduate Program in Neuroscience, and the dates are a choice of February 6-7 or 7-8. 

I haven't heard back from any program I applied to either, but looking at the results survey on the GradSchoolCafe website has made me feel better since only one person from one program at one school that I applied to has posted about getting an interview invite. I know that not everyone who gets an invite is on here but if I were seeing lots of results from programs I applied to I would start to worry.

Hopefully we all start hearing back soon. I think if I don't hear anything by like, January 10 I will start to worry since that will have been two months since I submitted applications.

I applied to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology programs last year and received my interview invitations between mid December through the end of January. My interviews were from early February through early March.