Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

3 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

can't beat the weather in SoCal.... but why didn't u apply to UCLA, UCI, & USC??  im curious :)

Because I know the competition in Californian universities is extremely fierce, even started from last year...So didn't intend to put all eggs in one basket.

I didn't apply UCLA because of inadequate recommendation letters. One of the recommender refused to contact me at that time, so I had to seek another one, but ddl for UCLA had passed.

3 minutes ago, excelle08 said:

Because I know the competition in Californian universities is extremely fierce, even started from last year...So didn't intend to put all eggs in one basket.

I didn't apply UCLA because of inadequate recommendation letters. One of the recommender refused to contact me at that time, so I had to seek another one, but ddl for UCLA had passed.

i understand.... 12/1 was early

as long as UCR has the perfect match, school ranking is actually secondary imo

24 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

I don't think CMU is done. From what it looked like, they only sent out ML and CS responses. So if you applied to any other programs in their SCS, I'd say you still have a shot.

Sadly I only applied to CS program. Anyway it's just a lottery. It's very hard to get admission from CMU PhD program without top tier publications and undergraduate university.

31 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

i understand.... 12/1 was early

as long as UCR has the perfect match, school ranking is actually secondary imo

Exactly. UCR ranks great in csrankings.org, especially in Systems area.

USNews can be very biased and subjective.

4 hours ago, excelle08 said:

I applied to GATech, CMU, WashU, UCSD and WISC, but did not hear back anything.

Seems that they all sent out their first round offers yesterday...So it's likely that my hope for these top tier schools is frail.

Well, what can you do. We just have to wait and see now. Also, with WashU are you referring to University of Washington or Washington University in St. Louis?

5 hours ago, excelle08 said:

Sadly I only applied to CS program. Anyway it's just a lottery. It's very hard to get admission from CMU PhD program without top tier publications and undergraduate university.

There is only one post on admit in CS PhD program at CMU. So I don't think they have given out all their first round offers. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

7 hours ago, TheStLucas said:

Well, what can you do. We just have to wait and see now. Also, with WashU are you referring to University of Washington or Washington University in St. Louis?

University of Washington, the one in Seattle.

6 hours ago, Sachi said:

There is only one post on admit in CS PhD program at CMU. So I don't think they have given out all their first round offers. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

Yep. Finger crossed

21 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

so I heard that international students are more vetted than domestic US students... is this true? thoughts?

I don't really know. But the majority of PhD students in the U.S are international (according to some reports!). So, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Edited by TheStLucas

I am an international student and I've also applied to CMU MLD & LTI and got no responses.

In fact, I found that my supplementary video for LTI was not even opened. (YouTube has analytics features.)

Looks like I should be prepared for the worst.

7 hours ago, SagarParikh said:

Anyone got any admits/rejects/interviews for Canadian Universities for Fall 2018 ( Computer Science )?

I got none yet. Mostly 'Under Review' and 'Submitted' status everywhere.

Nothing either. UoT/UBC/SFU

On 2/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, eighty8keys said:

I don't think CMU is done. From what it looked like, they only sent out ML and CS responses. So if you applied to any other programs in their SCS, I'd say you still have a shot.

I applied for the Software Engineering PhD program at CMU. 

Any hint about the timeline of the decision?

The survey doesn't seem to have too many posts about this.