UMass Amherst

Victorianna

Which website are you referring to? The application status page that requires a login, or is there some other page for the history department or grad school?

Yes, the application status page with the login. Mine was updated this morning.

https://webapp.spire.umass.edu/admissions/htdocs/applicant/gradapp_logon.html

Good Luck.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a history MA, so I guess my fingers are still crossed!

My fingers are crossed for both of us, Joe! Mine still says "applied" as well. Intellectually I understand that hitting F5 every few minutes isn't going to make it magically accept me, but I'm still doing it. I hope you're able to at least wait somewhat peacefully!

My fingers are crossed for both of us, Joe! Mine still says "applied" as well. Intellectually I understand that hitting F5 every few minutes isn't going to make it magically accept me, but I'm still doing it. I hope you're able to at least wait somewhat peacefully!

I have literally spent the last two hours of my life watching "Seven" and checking for status updates every other minute; I graduated from that department as an undergrad. and had one of the (now) emeritus professors there write me a rec., so if his clout doesn't get me in then I'll be having words with him >: (

I have literally spent the last two hours of my life watching "Seven" and checking for status updates every other minute; I graduated from that department as an undergrad. and had one of the (now) emeritus professors there write me a rec., so if his clout doesn't get me in then I'll be having words with him >: (

Ahahaha. I'm at my internship and thankfully my boss just did this last year so she doesn't really care that I'm constantly checking for updates/reading the forums. I "know" I had three great letters for my MA, at least as much as one can know, but I think yours is the winner! I went to a liberal arts women's college in Atlanta, so they probably think I only took needle-point and place settings. Oh, and how to raise a southern family. Though, I'm from Palm Beach, FL so its not like any of that applies to me anyway. Okay, my form of stress-relief through this post is over now ... for now. Good luck!

I hate to be the one who asks, but did anyone get waitlisted or not recieve an offer through the website? Someone (though it may have been Tufts) tell me that that non-acceptances will not be listed online.

Hopefully that isn't the case, but if it is... well, then I guess the only way to find out is to have someone call and see if they are accepted or not! I'd do it, but I'm out the door and wont be home for the rest of the day

Also still listed as "applied."

Cue Chopin's Funeral March....

If we're all MA applicants I say we should just be happy and wait. Not really, I'll keep being terrified and thinking I'll have to go to Florida Atlantic University, who isn't even approved by the AHA.

Just a friendly FYI ... as of about 14 seconds ago I am still listed as "applied" on the website. I really want to call but I'm pretty terrified.

I don't think that calling could hurt. I have called and they have been pleasant to me.

Good luck! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Edited by Victorianna

I don't think that calling could hurt. I have called and they have been pleasant to me.

Did you call the department or the grad admissions office? I'm hesitant to call because I'm waiting on the MA program and it seems like no one has heard.

I think I am going to wait until later in the month to call. If you look at the results page some people listed that they didn't hear until the latter part of this month... granted, that was years ago, but still, hopefully the pattern of late admits holds

edit: I am still "applied" too

Edited by Joe Lordan

I am sure that they will be getting back to you soon. It is my understanding that MA candidates hear from the dept. later. And from the results page it looks as if we still have a couple weeks.

If you do decide to contact them I would recommend contacting a dept. secretary. I suppose that you wouldn't necessarily have to identify yourself.

Not to alarm anyone but I was listed online as "conditional admit" for the MA yesterday morning. I'm not sure how exactly they post their selections,but I can say they have already notified some people. Perhaps calling wouldn't hurt;it would either make your day or eliminate more days, possibly weeks, ofwonder.

Best of luck to all.

Edited by bensp60

I actually called late yesterday to clarify an issue they had (they thought they had lost my GRE score report....I almost died, luckily they fixed the problem). Everything got settled and I figured I'd take a shot and ask about my application. The graduate secretary told me that a decision hadn't been made on my app yet (for MA). I assume she was telling the truth or else she wouldn't have taken the time to sift through all the possible GRE reports over the phone with me. Its possible the whole GRE screw-up side-tracked my app, but the secretary said that this wasn't the case. So if you haven't heard, I don't think its time to panic quite yet. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I actually called late yesterday to clarify an issue they had (they thought they had lost my GRE score report....I almost died, luckily they fixed the problem). Everything got settled and I figured I'd take a shot and ask about my application. The graduate secretary told me that a decision hadn't been made on my app yet (for MA). I assume she was telling the truth or else she wouldn't have taken the time to sift through all the possible GRE reports over the phone with me. Its possible the whole GRE screw-up side-tracked my app, but the secretary said that this wasn't the case. So if you haven't heard, I don't think its time to panic quite yet. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I had the Temple department tell me they never received my GREs (which would have been fine as they were horrible and do not fit with the rest of my application). That was in mid-January, so I remember the feeling of terror you felt earlier. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what's up.

Ahahaha. I'm at my internship and thankfully my boss just did this last year so she doesn't really care that I'm constantly checking for updates/reading the forums. I "know" I had three great letters for my MA, at least as much as one can know, but I think yours is the winner! I went to a liberal arts women's college in Atlanta, so they probably think I only took needle-point and place settings. Oh, and how to raise a southern family. Though, I'm from Palm Beach, FL so its not like any of that applies to me anyway. Okay, my form of stress-relief through this post is over now ... for now. Good luck!

Given the proximity of UMass to Smith and Mt. Holyoke I doubt very much that their faculty takes such a dim view of women's colleges. Atlanta, on the other hand. . .

I'm another UMass grad, considering heading back next year, if anyone has any questions about the area or department. I have been accepted for the Public History MA, and now I'm just waiting to hear on whether they'll throw any cash my way.

Given the proximity of UMass to Smith and Mt. Holyoke I doubt very much that their faculty takes such a dim view of women's colleges. Atlanta, on the other hand. . .

I'm another UMass grad, considering heading back next year, if anyone has any questions about the area or department. I have been accepted for the Public History MA, and now I'm just waiting to hear on whether they'll throw any cash my way.

Congrats on the admit! Did you hear online, as well?

I've received my acceptance letter from the history department in the mail today, dated March 2nd. Fellowships and assistantships decisions will be made in the "near future" and will be notified of the status by April 15.

Good luck everyone!

Yeesh... waiting for funding info until the 15th is cutting it really close.

Well, for what it's worth I guess UMass is having two waves of acceptances? I live an hour away from the campus, so anything they send out I should receive immediately - and I heard nothing today, neither a rejection nor an acceptance (and I am still listed as 'applied')

Edited by Joe Lordan