UMass Amherst

Victorianna

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaving in a few hours to fly to Atlanta just to drive my little sister home for her break (SCAD is on quarters so its like two weeks off) and for some odd reason the postal delivery person is on my street super early. I should get the mail before I leave for the airport. However, I won't be hearing from UMass as I spoke with them today and they reported that the decision has not yet been made for me. I don't care if I'm their last choice - I just want them to give me a chance!

Well, for what it's worth I guess UMass is having two waves of acceptances? I live an hour away from the campus, so anything they send out I should receive immediately - and I heard nothing today, neither a rejection nor an acceptance (and I am still listed as 'applied')

I'm in the same boat - are you also a PhD applicant? Where did word of the 2 waves of acceptances come from? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat - are you also a PhD applicant? Where did word of the 2 waves of acceptances come from? Thanks!

Nope, I'm just a masters student. As for the two waves, I'm not quite sure if they actually have them... although it goes to reason that if some people have received acceptances in the mail while others have not then that means that they're still deliberating (a theory that is backed up by Rachel's last post, where she was directly told that the department is still considering her application)

The 15th of April for funding is definitely cutting, hopefully they let us know before then. As for the 2 waves, that would be my guess also. I received postal notice yesterday and I'm in North Carolina, so I'm guessing I wouldn't have been the first to hear.

To those who have been accepted: Any word on funding? Also, who plans on attending? And, is your acceptance of the offer contingent on funding?

To those who have yet to be accepted: Is Umass your first choice? Do you plan on attending with/without funding offers?

Best of luck to all those who have yet to hear!

The 15th of April for funding is definitely cutting, hopefully they let us know before then. As for the 2 waves, that would be my guess also. I received postal notice yesterday and I'm in North Carolina, so I'm guessing I wouldn't have been the first to hear.

To those who have been accepted: Any word on funding? Also, who plans on attending? And, is your acceptance of the offer contingent on funding?

To those who have yet to be accepted: Is Umass your first choice? Do you plan on attending with/without funding offers?

Best of luck to all those who have yet to hear!

I'd say Umass is a strong second for me, with BC coming in first. With that said, though, I'm also strongly considering Northeastern. I was accepted to their American History/Public History MA program, and it was hinted by a professor there that I'd probably be able to get most of my funding taken care of. Not a bad deal, and it is nice to actually have options - when I first started this awful application season I assumed I'd be accepted to one program and rejected from all the rest!

I just heard back online - after they said they had no decision on me as of yesterday, I see today that I was not offered a spot. I'm sad, sure, because I've never been rejected before ... but there is always next year. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

I just heard back online - after they said they had no decision on me as of yesterday, I see today that I was not offered a spot. I'm sad, sure, because I've never been rejected before ... but there is always next year. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

haha well if it makes you feel any better I too was rejected, so we can wallow in our sorrow together! I'd invite you out to get a drink tonight, but I fear the drive from Florida to connecticut may not be worth the trouble B)

haha well if it makes you feel any better I too was rejected, so we can wallow in our sorrow together! I'd invite you out to get a drink tonight, but I fear the drive from Florida to connecticut may not be worth the trouble B)

Aww, I'm sorry Joe. We can get a drink together tonight ... in spirit? I'm now waiting on UF and Temple. I was told by my undergrad advisor to not even submit my GW app and save the money because of the PhD candidates all getting MA only admits. UGH. I'm now adding Hunter College, University of Alabama, and Northeastern in. All by Wednesday is my goal. I need to get going on my graduate studies, I miss academic work too much to wait tables for another year.

Aww, I'm sorry Joe. We can get a drink together tonight ... in spirit? I'm now waiting on UF and Temple. I was told by my undergrad advisor to not even submit my GW app and save the money because of the PhD candidates all getting MA only admits. UGH. I'm now adding Hunter College, University of Alabama, and Northeastern in. All by Wednesday is my goal. I need to get going on my graduate studies, I miss academic work too much to wait tables for another year.

Well I'm going to be going to Northeastern next year, so we may have to put that drink on hold! It looks like a really good program, especially since due to its certificate in public history (after graduating from college I worked for two archives and a historical society so it is right up my ally). They also claim to be able to help 80% of applicants with financial aid PLUS the chance to be a TA. Not a bad deal, all-in-all!

Well I'm going to be going to Northeastern next year, so we may have to put that drink on hold! It looks like a really good program, especially since due to its certificate in public history (after graduating from college I worked for two archives and a historical society so it is right up my ally). They also claim to be able to help 80% of applicants with financial aid PLUS the chance to be a TA. Not a bad deal, all-in-all!

I honestly don't recall why I didn't apply there the first time around! I've never been rejected before in my life, and this does not feel good! I hope to have my application completed this weekend, and I've already had my transcripts ordered! We'll see. I do love Boston!

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I've been lurking all season, but finally got my registration to go through. I don't know what the problem was.

Anyway, I'll be attending UMass for the Public History MA in the fall. Has anyone else decided to attend there?

I didn't get a chance to visit, which I feel a little weird about, but I think it was the best fit both academically and financially for me.

Anyone who's already been there have any housing tips? I'm looking at a place in Northampton that looks nice/ affordable.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it out there this summer to do house-hunting, so I might have to take something based only on photos.

I will be attending for Fall 2010 also, but for the European History MA. I visited the campus last summer, didn't get a chance to meet any of the professors, but the campus seems pretty standard for a large school in a semi-rural setting. Northampton is a really cool town; lots going on and a ton of little restaurants/shops, and it's pretty close to the campus (15 mins-ish). We drove around the area and didn't really see any places you wouldn't want to live. Congratulations on the admission, see you in the fall.