Columbia?

lifetimestudent

Hi! I'm one of the people who posted an acceptance (the Ancient History one).

I have absolutely no inside info, but they sent me an email around 1:30 PM saying that they were excited to offer me admission and outlining the financial support. Maybe they're just trickling out by department?

I have absolutely no inside info, but they sent me an email around 1:30 PM saying that they were excited to offer me admission and outlining the financial support. Maybe they're just trickling out by department?

I recently received some good news, and wanted to pass that on to the Columbia History department. I emailed the DGS, and he sent me a brief reply thanking me for updating them. I imagine if a decision was made already for me, he would have let me know.

I'm really nailbiting here on Columbia. It looks to me like all fields may not have already gone out. I've been frantically checking the "Application Status" downloadable form on the Apply Yourself page (Columbia's format here is really strange), even though I know that it won't really do anything.

Up until now, the upper-right hand corner where it says "Status - At Department" has been blank, and just now it filled in "Complete" over "Status" and "Yes" over "At Department." So that's at least a sign that they're done processing, right?!

(I'm assuming that "Yes" means "Yes, it is at the Department," and not "Yes, it is an admit.")

Eeek!

(Crazy first post, I know)

I'm really nailbiting here on Columbia. It looks to me like all fields may not have already gone out. I've been frantically checking the "Application Status" downloadable form on the Apply Yourself page (Columbia's format here is really strange), even though I know that it won't really do anything.

Up until now, the upper-right hand corner where it says "Status - At Department" has been blank, and just now it filled in "Complete" over "Status" and "Yes" over "At Department." So that's at least a sign that they're done processing, right?!

(I'm assuming that "Yes" means "Yes, it is at the Department," and not "Yes, it is an admit.")

Eeek!

I am so glad you posted, because I also went to check my Apply Yourself site. I guess it's the same "yes" we're both thinking about, although we're hoping it's the other "yes"

Do you mind sharing if it was a mass e-mail? Or was it a vaguely personalized one? And, congratulations! :)

Do you mind sharing if it was a mass e-mail? Or was it a vaguely personalized one? And, congratulations! :)

It was a mass email from the DGS. I did miss three calls from an unlisted number while in class today... I'm guessing they're from my PA (and I really wish he'd left a voicemail with a number to call him back! :-) ).

If only two of us reported acceptances on the board today, I'm guessing they'll probably send out some more tomorrow... but that's just wild speculation on my part.

Good luck!

Edited by cgking

I am so glad you posted, because I also went to check my Apply Yourself site. I guess it's the same "yes" we're both thinking about, although we're hoping it's the other "yes"

Yes! Why is Columbia's Apply Yourself site so strange? It is really odd to have an "Application Status" downloadable form. Meh. Anyway, still nailbiting...

Eeek!

Wait, where do you see application status? I don't see that on mine at all.

Nevermind, figured it out. I never would have thought to check there though. Weird.

Edited by heu mihi

I wish you hadn't told me about this. I just went to check, and it says "incomplete" and they show that they don't have a transcript. But I KNOW I mailed them a transcript. It never got sent back by the postal service...So I assumed that they got it, or else they would have sent some sort of notification? I'm freaking out now...

Wait, where do you see application status? I don't see that on mine at all.

Go to Apply Yourself --> Check Application

To the left, you should see a link for downloadable forms. The very first form is called something like "Application Status". Download that. It should have all your information.

I wish you hadn't told me about this. I just went to check, and it says "incomplete" and they show that they don't have a transcript. But I KNOW I mailed them a transcript. It never got sent back by the postal service...So I assumed that they got it, or else they would have sent some sort of notification? I'm freaking out now...

Uh oh. E-mail? Happened to me for Temple. No reply, whatsoever. Sigh!

I was the other Columbia acceptance today for U.S. history. I got the same mass email from DGS at 1:30, followed by a couple of phone calls from PAs in the department. Agreed that the number of acceptances today seem small, but they do seem to cross sub-fields.

Best of luck to you....

Congratulations to the Columbia admits!

I had begun to assume that this long protracted silence from Columbia indicates an impending rejection, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Must say, was a bit surprised to have not heard a peep either positive or negative for so long. This has been the last place I've been waiting on for quite a while now....

I'm not giving up hope completely yet . . . even though my hope's starting to flag a little. In previous years it seems like people were informed on different days. And that's not exactly unusual for schools to first send out admissions to the candidates they're 100% sure about and leave the more "debatable" ones for further, well, debate. And just because the admissions were for multiple subsections it doesn't mean they're done with all the subsections. At least . . . a girl can hope.

Good luck to everyone who, like me, is biting their nails in anxiety! You never know what can happen!

Did someone just get admitted to Columbia? I thought they were done?

I feel like that was probably fake, or they're just late in posting it.

Speaking of Columbia though, I got a really nice email from Adam Kosto (whom I had never been in contact with before) telling me (no surprise) that he was really sorry that I wasn't accepted, that my application was great, and that he looked forward to following my career in the future. Even though it was bad news, it still made me feel pretty good. Seems like a really nice guy, I hope someone here is lucky enough to work with him.

Speaking of Columbia though, I got a really nice email from Adam Kosto (whom I had never been in contact with before) telling me (no surprise) that he was really sorry that I wasn't accepted, that my application was great, and that he looked forward to following my career in the future. Even though it was bad news, it still made me feel pretty good. Seems like a really nice guy, I hope someone here is lucky enough to work with him.

Nice!

Has anyone actually received some sort of contact with Columbia that tells them whether they are in or not? We're basically all just sitting here. How do they notify you? I feel like I'm getting jerked around here.