How many get interviews?

April12345

I know this is very general and will vary significantly from program to program, but does anyone have insight into how many people get interviewed for a particular PhD cohort? 

E.g. If a school has 10 spots, do they generally bring in 20? Or do some schools only interview people they already plan to admit? 

I'm just curious. :) Thanks!

It depends on the program, but you can normally find this information for the program you are looking at.

For example, I was looking at University of Nebraska-Lincoln's info today (https://psychology.unl.edu/clinical-psychology-training-program/Web tables - Aug 2017.pdf). Last year they had 239 applications, interviewed 30, offered admission to 16, and had 9 who were actually admitted. The year before those numbers were 193, 26, 13, and 9. You can see back to 2007 in the pdf. In the initial rejection notice for this year (currently quoted at the top of this search on gradcafe's survey page: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=nebraska&t=a&o=&pp=25) it is stated that Nebraska-Lincoln had more than 230 applicants this year for 8-10 available openings. That's in line for the past year's data, so it can be assumed 25-30 applicants will be interviewed this year.

You can find data like that on almost every program site if you look for it. Is there a specific program you are wondering about?

Edited by PsyZei
cafegrad=gradcafe ;-)

Ultimately it will depend on the school since there isn't a one size fits all method.  Based on my last application season the number of students interviewed was dependent upon the professors funding.  All of my PIs had funding for 2 students so they interviewed 4-6 applicants and hoped for the best.

Echoing that this is very program specific. Of the places I applied, three didn't even do interviews and I was admitted before the campus visit. So, almost impossible to generalize.