Should I do it along with a Ph.D.?

Adelaide9216

Hello,

Someone told me about a microprogram of graduate level on teaching in postsecondary institutions that is being offered at a uni in my city. It's 15 credits (one semester basically), can be done full-time or part-time and you get an attestation at the end (not an actually diploma but it's definetly an added value to a CV). Do you think that it's necessary to get that kind of training to teach at college or university level? I know I want to teach but I don't feel like I will get the tools out of a Ph.D. program...am I wrong? Also, do you think it's possible to do that kind of program while doing a Ph.D.? 

WOW, that sounds like an amazing opportunity. If I was you, and that was offered in a city near me I would definitely take advantage, especially if being a professor is something you see yourself doing.

To answer your questions, in short I'm not sure. Some PhD programs really focus on training scholars to be professors and offer opportunities for students to learn their teaching philosophy, TA, teach undergrad courses, etc. However, not all. If the microprogram is feasible, I say do it! It seems like it would be a niche and information-filled experience. If teaching is what you want to do in the long run having this microprogram on your CV will help with getting potential assistantships, teaching experiences, etc in grad school and the culmination of all of that would be amazing when you are in the field applying to tenure track positions. Hope that made sense!

Will this be free, or are they charging?

There are a ton of great resources out there for teaching development that are free, but nothing substituted for time in the classroom. 

Spending 12 credits of time seems like a lot relative to doing some workshops and online classes (check CIRTL), and then teaching some. 

So... I would only do it if you could do it as part of your existing funding in a graduate program. Like Eigen intimated, I wouldn't pay for it. Why? Many universities in the US have something similar (College/University Teaching Certificate) is usually the name so there are many opportunities out there. I considered doing one while in my PhD. I took the intro class (Introduction to College Teaching, or some similar title) and it was an incredibly valuable experience. So much more useful than my department's teaching course. I don't know whether such a certificate has value on the job market per se, or if the value comes in your improved teaching evaluations and confidence during your teaching demo. 

Like the others said, do it if it's free but otherwise, think more carefully about it. Many schools in Canada and the US will also run very similar programs for its students through its Centre for Teaching and Learning or some similar named office. My PhD school had a program offered at two commitment levels. Things you could do included a 1-hour per week reading course for 1 semester, with a final project at the end (total ~30 to 40 hour commitment), various workshops offered during the year (along with writing reflection statements) and creating a teaching portfolio. They also have services like sending staff to observe your TA or teaching sessions to give you feedback. Both commitment levels gives you a notation on your transcript and diploma and you can slowly complete the requirements on your own time over the years (instead of having to do it all at once). 

• 1 month later...

I'd do it if it's free... It's basically a resource that's available to you. At my MA institution, it was free, and I ended up dropping out because I saw it as extra work. However, at my incoming institution, the teaching certificate is more confusing AND you have to pay for actual credit hours. 

Always make the most of it!