Fall 2018 PhD (Social Work/Social Welfare)

On 3/7/2018 at 12:56 PM, JesstDoIt said:

Just spoke to UCLA - should be sending out decision this week, according to the person I spoke with. Still no word from UNC chapel hill. 

Accepted to FSU, UGA, and UofH with full tuitions and stipends. 

When do y’all think is an appropriate time to let a school know you are going somewhere else? How are y’all doing it? 

Congrats on all of your acceptances! 

I would think better sooner, rather than later to let them know you decided on somewhere else.  I sent my notifications through email. 

On 2018. 2. 21. at 4:13 PM, mf2854 said:

I know I got on here way late, (I definitely could have used some of this moral support a month ago), but just wanted to come into the conversation. I have an MSW from Pitt... I think someone said they were applying there?

I applied to University of Chicago, Boston College, Ohio State, and UConn. I am interested in macro, international work, human rights, human trafficking, and policy. It was actually a bit difficult to find professors at schools who have similar interests. 

Anyway, I was rejected at Chicago and Boston, and still waiting for UConn. However, just found out that I was accepted at Ohio State!! :) . Has anyone else applied there? 

Hi! Congrats on the acceptance!! If you don't mind, could I ask about your funding packages?

I need some advice!! 

I accepted FSUs offer, after being denied from many of the top programs and being accepted to UofH and UGA. The only school I had not heard from was UNC-CH; thinking I would get denied, I accepted my offer from FSU. However, I received an email from UNC today offering me an interview! Any advice? Any ideas? I plan on participating in the interview and seeing what happens, but I feel horrible about potentially rescinding my acceptance to FSU. 

Edited by JesstDoIt

On 3/23/2018 at 1:19 PM, JesstDoIt said:

I need some advice!! 

I accepted FSUs offer, after being denied from many of the top programs and being accepted to UofH and UGA. The only school I had not heard from was UNC-CH; thinking I would get denied, I accepted my offer from FSU. However, I received an email from UNC today offering me an interview! Any advice? Any ideas? I plan on participating in the interview and seeing what happens, but I feel horrible about potentially rescinding my acceptance to FSU. 

I didn't realize UNC-Chapel Hill did interviews. I'm still waiting to hear back.

When would your interview be?

Edited by jemappellesana

On 3/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, JesstDoIt said:

I need some advice!! 

Any updates on what happened? Did you get into UNC as well? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, Thewait said:

Any updates on what happened? Did you get into UNC as well? 

I'm not really sure. I interviewed with them. I believe it went well. I received an email stating I was 1 of 5 finalists and then the head person of admissions got really sick. He was out for a week, so I didn't hear from them. I ended up emailing them on monday to inquire if there were any updates, and the man who was sick said he just returned and would be in touch with me "very soon." That was monday. Friday came and went, and now the deadline is Sunday. I don't really know what to do. I was advised by several people in the field not to contact the school because "if they had an answer, they would contact you," but I doubt I'll hear anything over the weekend. This means that if I get in, I may need to make a decision as to whether to stick with my current school or ask for a release (most likely pissing off my current school) if I get into UNC... 

Update: The deadline passed. My admissions contact emailed me Sunday to say he would call me Monday. He did not call. He emailed me this morning stating he would be in touch with me "very soon" again. I'm feeling like I'm getting the run around. I'm nearing the point of saying forget it, and going head first into FSU. Anyone else dealing with this? 

6 hours ago, JesstDoIt said:

Update: The deadline passed. My admissions contact emailed me Sunday to say he would call me Monday. He did not call. He emailed me this morning stating he would be in touch with me "very soon" again. I'm feeling like I'm getting the run around. I'm nearing the point of saying forget it, and going head first into FSU. Anyone else dealing with this? 

I'm getting the same information from UNC.

On 2018. 4. 17. at 11:51 PM, JesstDoIt said:

Did you hear any news?

6 hours ago, jemappellesana said:

Did I hear THE news or any news? Either way, neither. It seems like the admissions committee meets on Thursday's, so... Maybe I'll hear something tomorrow.

How do you know they will meet on Thursday?

Did you attend an interview?

Did the staff or dean sent an e-mail to you?

I did not hear any news.

1 hour ago, Julyafter said:

I did not hear any news.

When I e-mailed the Doctoral Program Coordinator in March, she said the Admissions Committee was going to meet on Thursday of that week. I'm assuming they meet on Thursday's.

I did not attend an interview, but was told by the Doctoral Program Coordinator that only some professors request interviews with applicants. Some students are admitted without interviews and some aren't. It all depends on your research interest and the professor you'd like to work with.

On Sunday, I received an e-mail from the Associate Dean that they would be in touch "very soon."

Edited by jemappellesana

On 4/19/2018 at 8:06 PM, jemappellesana said:

When I e-mailed the Doctoral Program Coordinator in March, she said the Admissions Committee was going to meet on Thursday of that week. I'm assuming they meet on Thursday's.

I did not attend an interview, but was told by the Doctoral Program Coordinator that only some professors request interviews with applicants. Some students are admitted without interviews and some aren't. It all depends on your research interest and the professor you'd like to work with.

On Sunday, I received an e-mail from the Associate Dean that they would be in touch "very soon."

On 4/19/2018 at 6:32 PM, Julyafter said:

I did not hear any news.

I received the generic "review your admissions decision" email on Monday at 8AM. Denied. I'm honestly happy with the decision, because the way I was being treated was giving me bad vibes regarding the program. I hope yall received the news you wanted.