Fall 2018 PhD (Social Work/Social Welfare)

Good morning all,

As I haven’t been able to find a thread for this cycle’s applications for PhDs yet, figured I would get one started so we could keep each other updated as decisions start coming out over the next few months. 

Background: 2nd cycle applying. 

Experience: 162 V, 154 Q, 4.5 AW; 3 years research experience ; 3 first-author publications, 1 second-author, 1 fourth-author, 4 publications in review; 11 invited conference sessions; 2 poster sessions. UG GPA: 3.96; Grad GPA: 4.0

Research focus: behavioral health disorders and recovery; tech and digital media as predictors of substance use disorders; linguistics and implicit bias towards substance use  

Where applying: UPenn SP2 (social welfare); USciences (health policy)

Anyone else out there applying this cycle?

I created a thread for Ph.D. applicants (in Canada) a few weeks ago.

I am applying also for Ph.D. programs in a few months. 

Given how little numbers of social workers decide to do Ph.D., do you think it is necessary that I apply to one than more program? 

Edited by Adelaide9216

27 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I created a thread for Ph.D. applicants (in Canada) a few weeks ago.

I am applying also for Ph.D. programs in a few months. 

Given how little numbers of social workers decide to do Ph.D., do you think it is necessary that I apply to one than more program? 

I saw that one, but didn’t want to hijck your thread :) .

For PhDs in social work/Social welfare, I do think it is important to apply to a few different places. This is my second cycle, and I can tell you that there was a number of highly qualified applicants in the cycle with me last year. I think given that PhDs are funded, it makes it more competitive than say a DSW (doctorate in social work here in the states) that aren’t typically funded and more clinically focused. 

I know given my experience last cycle (where I applied to one school, albeit an ivy) that I elected to apply to two this cycle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

There was another thread created but it does not have much activity. I will post my info here.

Background: First-time applicant.

Schools Applied to: Washington University in St. Louis,  University of Washington and UPenn. Considering applying to one or two more schools.

Stats: GRE (abysmal scores) : V 157; Q 148; AW:4.5. Publications: 1 first author, 1 first author in a refereed conference proceedings, 1 second author, and 4th author of a textbook. I have post MSW practice experience. UG GPA: 3.91; Grad GPA: 4.0

Research focus: Child welfare

My stats are not very good, and honestly, my statements could've been a lot better. I decided to apply late in the game and therefore didn't put as much time into my apps as I would have liked. I am using this application cycle as my practice run. I hear it takes 2-3 times of applying before you get in.

@SocialResearcher I see you are from Philadelphia. Do you know UPenn? Any thoughts?

23 hours ago, gandma said:

Hi there,

There was another thread created but it does not have much activity. I will post my info here.

Background: First-time applicant.

Schools Applied to: Washington University in St Louis,  University of Washington and UPenn. Considering applying to one or two more schools.

Stats: GRE (abysmal scores) : V 157; Q 148; AW:4.5. Publications: 1 first author, 1 first author in a refereed conference proceedings, 1 second author, and 4th author of a textbook. I have post MSW practice experience. UG GPA: 3.91; Grad GPA: 4.0

Research focus: Child welfare

My stats are not very good, and honestly, my statements could've been a lot better. I decided to apply late in the game and therefore didn't put as much time into my apps as I would have liked. I am using this application cycle as my practice run. I hear it takes 2-3 times of applying before you get in.

@SocialResearcher I see you are from Philadelphia. Do you know UPenn? Any thoughts?

Glad to see another applicant! Last year there was a lot more activity on social work/social welfare PhDs, wonder where everyone is this year!

@gandma I did my MSW at penn (sp2). It’s a phenomonal program and overall penn is a great university. With a research focus on childrens’ welfare, you’ll love it if they end up being where you go. SP2 has many PI’s and research centers focused on that topic. 

If history is any indication, Penn decisions usually come out in mid-February. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Edited by SocialResearcher

@SocialResearcher I was wondering myself where everyone is at....I actually came across GradForum cafe by chance...

I am glad to hear you speak so highly of the program. I have only heard wonderful things about it so I imagine it must be a very competitive application process. Do you know if they set up interviews or is it a straight acceptance/rejection?

I realized mid-February is a bit over a month away! Best of luck! You sound like a very strong applicant so hopefully, you will be accepted! I will keep you posted :)

Edited by gandma

@gandma @SocialResearcher Your guys' background are amazingly strong! You will definitely be admitted to your dream doctoral programs.

Background:

This is my first time to apply for doctoral programs. I am currently a second-year MSW student at the Washington University in St. Louis, and furthermore, I am an international student (Chinese). My concentration in the master program is Global Health Promotion and I specialize in Sexual Health and Education, System Dynamics, and Research.

Schools Applied to: 

Washington University in St. Louis, University of Michigan, Boston College, and Columbia University.

Stats:

• GRE: V 154; Q 170; AW 4.

• Publications: I have not had any publications, but I have several research assistantships and am working with a professor to submit two publications by the end of May.

• GPA: I obtained my BSW in China and my UG GPA is 3.65. My Grad GPA by the time when I submitted the applications was 4.0 but it dropped to 3.98 because of a tough and demanding course. :( 

Research Focus:

Community-based participatory approaches to health promotion (globally but especially focusing on East Africa) as well as taking advantage of medical anthropology to understand the decision mechanism behind medical behaviors.

Honestly, I am very nervous about my applications for doctoral programs in Social Work because I don't have any post-degree working experience. A few of professors I consulted at the Brown School told me that full-time working experience is super important. Anyway, I hope I could have good results in the mid-February!!!

All kinds of communication are welcome!~

13 hours ago, SocialResearcher said:

Glad to see another applicant! Last year there was a lot more activity on social work/social welfare PhDs, wonder where everyone is this year!

@gandma I did my MSW at penn (sp2). It’s a phenomonal program and overall penn is a great university. With a research focus on childrens’ welfare, you’ll love it if they end up being where you go. SP2 has many PI’s and research centers focused on that topic. 

If history is any indication, Penn decisions usually come out in mid-February. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I was considering applying for the doctoral program in UPenn but they require international applicants to have their transcripts certificated by WES, which takes about two months. So I gave up...

@DisasterBin

How do you like Brown? You have some outstanding faculty there!

Your stats sound strong also :) Many of the faculty I spoke to stated it is not necessary nor is it expected for applicants to have publications, though it can be helpful. To me, it sounded like they value that someone understands what the research process is like and that they have used this to inform their decision to pursue a PhD. I imagine your research experience can certainly speak to that.  

In terms of the practice experience, I was told the preference has to do with the CSWE requirement that certain classes only be taught by someone with 2+ years of post MSW practice experience. The schools I spoke to indicated they had a good mix of straight through students and returning students. 

What I have heard over and over again from faculty is that, in the end, the fit is most important. You may have excellent stats and practice/research experience, but if you do not fit with the program, you may not be accepted.

Best of luck to us! February is around the corner!

@gandma

You are right. Your point about the preference for post-master experience was verified by Prof. Drake, a humorous and famous professor in the field of child welfare as well as our research specialization chair. He also mentioned that working experience may indicate that applicants may have more understanding of social work in the real world and can come up with more practical perspectives for research.

From my point of view, Brown School is amazing and meshes well with its rank. We have a very comprehensive faculty group that has a myriad of research focuses. Importantly, Brown School emphasizes on international collaboration and studies. I was selected by the Global Programs Offices to have a course and international practicum in East Africa, which inspired my research interest. Moreover, the specializations are quite advanced, like sexual health and system dynamics, and they opened new doors for my understanding of social work. Brown School is my first choice for the doctoral program because of its unique international resources!!!

@gandma

As for that fit is the most important, it sounds reasonable but in essence, it still has an emphasis on the strong background. I think applicants' school selection has already worked as a great filter to screen off major mismatches. The review committee is to look at applicants abilities to weigh their contributions to the research projects and potential to be a great independent researcher, both of which are based on the capacities applicants show in their application materials.

Hey everybody. I'm applying to 2 social welfare programs (Wisconsin-Madison, Case Western), 1 Social Work program (Michigan State), 1 Social Psych program (Northwestern) and my top choice is the Joint Ph.D. in Social Work and Psychology at the University of Michigan (where I went to undergrad). This is my second time applying to PhD programs, I applied to Counseling Psych programs and MSW programs 2 years ago and ended up attending an MSW program in Michigan (not U of M), from which I'm graduating this semester!

Background: GRE 160V, 154Q, 6.0 AW (score from 2015). 4.5 years of research experience in 2 labs (social and community psych). Undergrad GPA (Psych) 3.7, current MSW GPA 3.9. No publications but I completed an Honors Psychology thesis in undergrad.

I'm going a little mad waiting, but I'm trying to enjoy my last couple of days of winter break. I've done a pretty good job of keeping myself busy during my time off :)

8 hours ago, jen101 said:

Hey everybody. I'm applying to 2 social welfare programs (Wisconsin-Madison, Case Western), 1 Social Work program (Michigan State), 1 Social Psych program (Northwestern) and my top choice is the Joint Ph.D. in Social Work and Psychology at the University of Michigan (where I went to undergrad). This is my second time applying to PhD programs, I applied to Counseling Psych programs and MSW programs 2 years ago and ended up attending an MSW program in Michigan (not U of M), from which I'm graduating this semester!

Background: GRE 160V, 154Q, 6.0 AW (score from 2015). 4.5 years of research experience in 2 labs (social and community psych). Undergrad GPA (Psych) 3.7, current MSW GPA 3.9. No publications but I completed an Honors Psychology thesis in undergrad.

I'm going a little mad waiting, but I'm trying to enjoy my last couple of days of winter break. I've done a pretty good job of keeping myself busy during my time off :)

Your analytical writing is impressive! 

Hi @DisasterBin and all,

I am so glad that I finally find this thread! I am an international applicant applying to PhD in Social Work Programs this year.  It is so great to have so many peers who share the same interest in a doctoral degree in social work/ social welfare. 

Stats: 

GRE: V157 + Q166 + AW4.0   TOEFL: 111, R 30, L 28, S 24, W 29

I got my BSW in China and my master degree in Hong Kong, and I have 3 years of working experience (including 1 yr RA experience and 2 yrs practice experience). This is also my first time applying for PhD programs. My GPA does not seem good enough (3.48/4.0 undergrad and 3.03/4.0 grad) and I don't have any publication. I am now super anxious about the applications. Any information shared would be appreciated!

BTW, my experience and interests have been centering on persons with developmental disabilities and related policy issues. Schools that I am applying: UT-Austin, UIUC, UMN, OSU, and UMaryland. I missed a few schools' deadline on Dec 1 so these are the ones that I am able to submit applications on time...:blink:

Anyone who already received feedback from the schools?

@DisasterBin Great points!

@MCIChris It makes it challenging that several schools have deadlines on the same day!

I saw UofW extended their deadline until December 10th though it was originally on December 1st...I wonder if they did not have enough applicants.

No feedback here from schools. I hear that some contact applicants for interviews toward the end of January. I am not sure which schools though...

@MCIChris

Glad to meet you here! Were you a master student at CUHK?

My research interest was disability and sexuality in my undergraduate, but I shifted it towards global health promotion in the master program because there is only a limited number of professor study disabilities in the U.S. From my perspective, Britain has the better disability study, like 利兹大学.

14 hours ago, MCIChris said:

Hi @DisasterBin and all,

I am so glad that I finally find this thread! I am an international applicant applying to PhD in Social Work Programs this year.  It is so great to have so many peers who share the same interest in a doctoral degree in social work/ social welfare. 

Stats: 

GRE: V157 + Q166 + AW4.0   TOEFL: 111, R 30, L 28, S 24, W 29

I got my BSW in China and my master degree in Hong Kong, and I have 3 years of working experience (including 1 yr RA experience and 2 yrs practice experience). This is also my first time applying for PhD programs. My GPA does not seem good enough (3.48/4.0 undergrad and 3.03/4.0 grad) and I don't have any publication. I am now super anxious about the applications. Any information shared would be appreciated!

BTW, my experience and interests have been centering on persons with developmental disabilities and related policy issues. Schools that I am applying: UT-Austin, UIUC, UMN, OSU, and UMaryland. I missed a few schools' deadline on Dec 1 so these are the ones that I am able to submit applications on time...:blink:

Anyone who already received feedback from the schools?

No feedback as of yet; I know the schools I applied to have traditionally not done interviews, and also call accepted applicants in early February before online results are available. We’re getting close though!

21 hours ago, DisasterBin said:

@MCIChris

Glad to meet you here! Were you a master student at CUHK?

My research interest was disability and sexuality in my undergraduate, but I shifted it towards global health promotion in the master program because there is only a limited number of professor study disabilities in the U.S. From my perspective, Britain has the better disability study, like 利兹大学.

You Got it right! I graduated from CUHK hahaha...

Yes, as you mentioned, it is not easy to find potential supervisors with similar interests in the US. I had quite a hard time screening suitable programs actually... I did not apply for schools in UK. Most of the schools in UK simply do not offer any scholarships to international students. The cost is just too high!

I found much information from this website: http://www.gadephd.org/  

Hi! @SocialResearcher

Most of the programs do not interview applicants, as far as I am concerned. I was told repeatedly that what matters is the way you present yourself, and "fitness" to the program.

Let us keep each other updated.

@DisasterBinYes! I just checked my email and received a message inviting me to visit the campus on February 9th  to learn more about the program...The email doesn't say that it is a formal interview though...Have you heard anything about this?

It also says that they will make decisions about admission in Late February.

6 hours ago, DisasterBin said:

@gandma

So it seems that its decision-making time is later than 2017. 

Not necessarily. Looks like blanket rejections come out in early February, with formal acceptances in late February. 

Congrats on the interview @gandma!

@DisasterBin It sounds like it...though from looking at other forums,  the admissions processes seems to be done in steps for some schools. I am not sure if Brown falls under this... Rejections for applicants that do not qualify are done first. Acceptances for top picks are done after (Maybe in late February for Brown?) and then based on any declined offers, another set of acceptances for those on the waitlist. 

@SocialResearcher Thank you! I am proceeding cautiously as it does not state it is a formal interview and it sounds more like a campus visit. I am not from the area and was hoping to visit the campus, so this makes it a lot easier for me to actually go. I wonder if this could be their strategic way of getting people out of the area to visit before, so that if an offer is made, they can make faster, informed decisions. It could speed up their admissions process and give them certainty about incoming classes earlier than previous years...

I emailed to ask for more information but because it was so recent, no response yet. I will keep you all posted. 

Best of luck to all of us as we continue to wait!