Fall 2018 PhD (Social Work/Social Welfare)

Hi all,

I received an invitation for a 20-minute skype interview with the University of Washington for next week. Has anyone had an interview with a school before? Any tips on how to prepare? I do not do well in interviews so I am so nervous! Thank you!

4 hours ago, gandma said:

Hi all,

I received an invitation for a 20-minute skype interview with the University of Washington for next week. Has anyone had an interview with a school before? Any tips on how to prepare? I do not do well in interviews so I am so nervous! Thank you!

Congratulations! More than likely, it will be a focused around two primary questions - tell me about yourself, and tell me about your research interests. After that, the remaining time will be for you to ask them questions. Be sure to brush up on the POIs research if you know who the interview is with, as well as why you want to do your program at UoW. Also, don’t forget to breathe, talk slowly, and just be yourself. You’re going to do great!

5 hours ago, gandma said:

Thank you @SocialResearcher! Very good advice! I will have to practice these questions. They said the interview is with a few admissions committee members, but maybe I can call to try to find out more information....

Thank you again :-)

Let us know how it goes!

Hi all,

I just received an email from OSU, offering me an admission to the school's MSW-PHD program. It also says that I will be nominated for the University's fellowship. The funding package is to be released no later than mid March. 

I could not be happier to receive such a good news, yet I am also a bit confused. I actually have a master's degree, which is in the name of master of social science in social work but basically it is equivalent to an MSW. Why does the school still offer me admission to MSW-PHD program? I have many more to ask since I want to know more about the school. Should I just write directly to the PhD program director?

I will also keep waiting for responses from other schools. 

Cheers everyone!

Congratulations @MCIChris!!  Some schools prefer applicants have an MSW and may not accept an equivalent program. Some schools also state on their websites that if you don’t have an MSW and are admitted to the PhD program, they will enroll you to obtain your MSW in the process. 

Congrats again! Best of luck as you wait to hear from other schools. 

Hi all!

Looks like I'm late to the game, but GRE scores: V:152 Q:145 A: 4.5. UG: 2.78, G: 4.0. Not the best scores, but my professional experience really makes up for a slacking UG GPA.

Various invited and keynote lecturing to universities and conferences. Currently assisting with a research project, looking to publish as 4th author by end of summer. Almost a decade of clinical experience, as well as successful federal grant writing and management, and program development in a very specific minority community.

My research focus will be Indigenous Human Trafficking. 

Applied to University of Washington, University of Wisconsin-Madison (both social work and human ecology programs), University of Illinois at Chicago, Michigan State U, Loyola University, and UW-Milwaukee. 

So far, I've been accepted to Michigan State University with a nomination towards their University Fellowship, as well as UW-Madison's Human Ecology program. 

I also got an interview request from UW-Seattle. They're my top choice so I'm sweating bullets! If anyone has any interview tips, let me know.

Best of luck to you all!

Edited by Naabekwe

On 1/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, gandma said:

Thank you @SocialResearcher! Very good advice! I will have to practice these questions. They said the interview is with a few admissions committee members, but maybe I can call to try to find out more information....

Thank you again :-)

It looks like there's going to be 4-5 different interviewers in the call. 

5 hours ago, Shari0418 said:

I applied for Loyola, UChicago, and UIC for Social Work and Harvard for Ed.LD. I had a meeting with the Director of the Loyola program, but that is it. Getting nervous!

She's nice, isn't she?! I met with her in December. The faculty seems really great there too. 

6 hours ago, Shari0418 said:

I applied for Loyola, UChicago, and UIC for Social Work and Harvard for Ed.LD. I had a meeting with the Director of the Loyola program, but that is it. Getting nervous!

Good luck on your apps! Keep us posted as you start to hear anything. 

Hi all,

I have sent emails to program directors inquiring about when will the admission results be announced. Here are some replies:

UT-Austin: Mid Feb    UIUC: Around Mid to late Feb    UMaryland-Baltimore: roughly 6 weeks from now.

Good luck to all of us!

13 minutes ago, Shari0418 said:

She was really nice -- what other schools are you applying to? Do you think you will take it?

I'm applying to University of Washington, University Wisc-Madison, Michigan State (accepted), UIC, UW-Milwaukee, Loyola. These are listed in the order of preference. :) So, probably not, but it seems like a GREAT program! Best of luck, hope you get it!!

1 hour ago, Naabekwe said:

I'm applying to University of Washington, University Wisc-Madison, Michigan State (accepted), UIC, UW-Milwaukee, Loyola. These are listed in the order of preference. :) So, probably not, but it seems like a GREAT program! Best of luck, hope you get it!!

Last on both of our lists.. interesting! My list is UChicago, Harvard (Ed.LD), UIC, and then Loyola. :) So jealous you've heard from MSU, I'm dying over here!

11 minutes ago, Shari0418 said:

Last on both of our lists.. interesting! My list is UChicago, Harvard (Ed.LD), UIC, and then Loyola. :) So jealous you've heard from MSU, I'm dying over here!

All great schools! MSU only got back to a few folks who were nominated for the university fellowship. They'll be getting back to everyone in Feb.

6 hours ago, Shari0418 said:

Just got accepted to UIC with a nomination for fellowship! Good luck!!