Question

Hello,

I'm applying to both PhD programs and MA programs. I know I ought to include professors I'd like to work with in the statement of purpose of my PhD application. Is this also true for MA applications? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the MA programs are in theological studies. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 

5 answers to this question

It's definitely not necessary. I got into my MA in Religious Studies without referencing professors I'd like to work with. However, if you're able to do so, it could only help. It shows that you've put in the energy to research the university and faculty - and since the admission process is basically just glorified groveling, they love those kinds of things.

For both MA and Ph.D. programs, I have a paragraph dedicated to the professor I want to work with and their previous work followed by a paragraph about why I'm a great fit for the program. It was just the outline I figured seemed best.

I think it just depends. I have read a large amount of SOP papers. I read one that only mentioned the school and professor in TWO sentences, haha. They were offered a position in a Ph.D. and MA program. 

As the above poster said, it is all about glorified groveling. Try to pretend you know all about the professor. 

For Masters, not necessarily, unless they state you should in their SOP directions. The stating your POI in the SOP is usually more of a PhD thing, since you're basically interviewing for a job (in Clinical Psych at least). But other than that I got into a Masters program w/o even looking at the faculty page :/ 

It depends on the school. I was actually told by someone on an admissions committee NOT to mention specific potential mentors.  Unless you've gotten in contact with the potential mentor, you don't necessarily know that they are looking to take a student.  By mentioning them by name, you are then limiting yourself.  It is better to talk about the school and the program and why it is an overall good fit.  Unless of course the instructions specifically ask you to talk about why you want to work with a specific person.  Usually applications have a space where you can list people you might be interested in working with, and I think that's adequate, you don't need to discuss it again in your SOP.