Am I aimming to high?

I'm currently in the process of thinking about my potential PhD schools and programs that I'd want to apply with once I finish my Masters in East Asian Studies (which I will begin this Fall at Rutgers University). I've attended NYU with a major in Chinese language & cultures and a double minor in Korean and Japanese language and cultures (3.62 GPA), as well as having attended ICLP  at NTU for a year. My main interest is Chinese modern -history (1900s - present) and Chinese (and Japanese!) literature. I'm an Caucasian, American citizen living in NJ. I'm wondering if my hopes to go to an Ivy league for my PhD program might be a bit too high?

A lot of that will have to do with how you use your time during your MA to position yourself. Find conferences in your area of interest to attend. Present papers whenever and wherever you can. Publish something. Get good grades. Make good connections at the events you go to - go to mixers, get emails and actually follow up with the people you meet. You never know who can help you later on down the road. I don't think your race or location has any effect on the likelihood of acceptance at any school you'd apply to. All of this to say - it's far too early to be able to answer your question with any clarity, but if you work hard and do everything you need to do, there's no reason to think your goal is unattainable.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had a roommate at Rutgers from China back in 2014-2015 who was pursuing a Doctorate in East Asian studies, he started his PhD at Columbia but transferred to Rutgers after his second year. Apparently, the faculty for his specialization are better at Rutgers than Columbia. 

Why do you want to be in an Ivy League PhD program, @Aahhhanthony? If your plan is to go into academia, the most important things are your supervisor (dissertation advisor) and doctoral committee. If the top people to work with for what you want to do aren't at Harvard/Yale, then you're doing yourself a disservice by going there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018/1/15 at 6:05 PM, PersonaNonGrata said:

I actually had a roommate at Rutgers from China back in 2014-2015 who was pursuing a Doctorate in East Asian studies, he started his PhD at Columbia but transferred to Rutgers after his second year. Apparently, the faculty for his specialization are better at Rutgers than Columbia. 

I know the person you're referring to, and he was not in a Ph.D. program at Columbia, but rather the terminal M.A. program. 

Edited by archimon