American/Canadian Philosophy PhD Accelerated Tracks for those with Masters degrees.

Jacob Smiley

Generally speaking, in US/Canadian programs (at least as far as I know), there isn't really an accelerated track for students with an MA. Maybe some programs will let you off one or two requirements, but in most cases, you'll still need to take the same amount of time to do a program whether you already have an MA or not.

I think Toronto has a separate 4-year track that lets you skip some of the coursework. I'm not aware of any US programs with the same structure. I think it's typical for students with MAs to just apply to the normal 5 year track. 

On 1/8/2018 at 8:00 PM, Metanoia said:

I think Toronto has a separate 4-year track that lets you skip some of the coursework. I'm not aware of any US programs with the same structure. I think it's typical for students with MAs to just apply to the normal 5 year track. 

Many programs allow you (but do not encourage you) to transfer classes, saving coursework and tuition dollars, effectively shortening your time in the program. The program I am in allows for 30 credits (two years) to be transferred.

I would encourage or discourage that route depending entirely on the program and the applicant's preparedness. Many programs say they will reduce your funding commensurate with how many credits you transfer; some programs are so well funded and reputed that there is no reason to "hurry" through the program. It is generally a good idea to develop rapport with profs rather than finish asap.

Edited by Duns Eith