How Common/Crucial are PhD Interviews?

NerdyGooner

Question

I just submitted my last of six PhD applications to programs in Religious Studies. As I play the waiting game, I'm planning to do some traveling over the course of the next two months, both domestically and abroad. I planned these trips with an eye to previous admissions decisions as posted on this site, aiming to be back in the US to visit schools (the ones that admitted me, if any, that is) in early March, with a full month before I would have to make decisions about matriculation by mid-April. However, it looks like a lot of folks on here have been invited to interviews prior to their admissions decisions. Uh oh. Can anyone tell me (1) how common it is to be asked for an interview in a Humanities PhD program generally, and/or in Religious Studies PhD programs in particular, and (2) if declining an interview would essentially doom one to be rejected?

4 answers to this question

I can't answer (1), but I can definitely assure you that declining an interview means you're not considered anymore. Think of it as declining a job interview.

When a program wants to interview you it is because either it's a university/department-wide policy as part of the application process, or because they want to know more about you. If they wanted to accept you without interview, they would do so, and don't offer you an interview at all.

As minuto said, declining an interview is basically shooting yourself in the foot for that specific university. However, universities/ADCOMs tend to be a bit flexible with interviews. I have been told (through emails from my POIs) that my interviews would more than likely take place over Skype, if I am given one, because of the cost of flying me to the USA from Europe on short notice. Maybe something similar may apply to you since you will be traveling during "interview season." In the end, this should be discussed with the university and department that wants to interview with you. Just make it very clear that you are not declining an interview.

I think most interviews are often conducted on Skype. (Mine were — for international students I would think they definitely would not expect you to fly to the US.) They also gave me the option of a telephone interview if Skype was not possible. 

If you can't make the interview at all, I don't think it's necessarily a deal-breaker — as long as you have a valid reason. (i.e. "I'll be backpacking in the Alps that week and will not have phone or computer access.) In that case, you'll be at a disadvantage compared to students they were able to speak to and get a sense of, but I'm sure they'll still consider you.

Oh, in reading this site more, I've realized that this seems to differ greatly between disciplines — it looks like the science fields often bring people for a big in-person interview weekend. So my response above might only apply to Humanities and Social Sciences programs.